Auto CQ

  • Mushtaq Ahmed
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 12, 2011
      Rick, I have been using the V4Chat over a year, and one thing I miss a lot, can you add a auto CQ into V4Chat, please think about if it possiable?
      73 de Mushtaq / LA3RIA

    • Siegfried Jackstien
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 13, 2011
        I can only set qrg from the minilog ... but read back does not work
        Turning the vfo dial does not get back to the software
        Only setting qrg by log or by clicking on waterfall is properly noticed
        Rig is icom 765
        Cat cable is usb to icom plug and play and does work with all other soft (so
        no hardware fault possible)
        Greetz
        Dg9bfc
        Sigi
        Ps update to 1.0.0.0 worked fine :-)

        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 13, 2011
          Sigi,

          Send me the V4Chat.log as an attachment....It should have info in there re readback of the frequency.  I don’t have a 765 to test with but will download the manual to see what may be different from that radio vs. other Icoms.

          Rick KN6KB

          Sent: Sunday, November 13, 2011 6:53 AM
          Subject: AW: [V4Protocol] Release of V4Chat and V4 TNC 1.0.0.0

          I can only set qrg from the minilog ... but read back does not work
          Turning the vfo dial does not get back to the software
          Only setting qrg by log or by clicking on waterfall is properly noticed
          Rig is icom 765
          Cat cable is usb to icom plug and play and does work with all other soft (so
          no hardware fault possible)
          Greetz
          Dg9bfc
          Sigi
          Ps update to 1.0.0.0 worked fine :-)

          href="mailto:V4Protocol%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:V4Protocol%40yahoogroups.com

          Betreff: [V4Protocol] Release of V4Chat and V4 TNC 1.0.0.0

          > All,
          >
          > I have uploaded to the Yahoo FTP server
          and to the auto update server the
          > latest release of V4Chat and the V4
          TNC. These are basically minor updates
          > but do improve the reliability
          with improved timing margins.

          > Special thanks to WB2LOU and
          K1DOW for their testing of these updates and
          > providing important
          feedback.

          > This basically ends the year long Beta test effort
          although certainly bugs
          > will still be found and upgrades generated.
          Thanks to all those that
          > contributed to the V4 beta test effort over the
          last 12 months.

          > I am still working on some issues with readback
          of the frequency data on
          > Yaesu radios.
          >
          > I am looking
          into some additional logging mechanisms to log range and
          > bearing
          information or gridsquare. What this might lead to is a near
          > future
          contest weekend where we try and see how many V4 stations can be
          > worked.
          Those that might have any ideas about this or suggestions please
          > contact
          me.

          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 13, 2011
            Mushtaq,

            I am not sure what an “auto CQ” is.  There is already a CQ calling mechanism built in and used for ARQ. (Click ARQ Call, CQ)  This sends a specailly formatted frame that ID’s the sender and tells everyone he is calling CQ.  Stations can then answer him in ARQ by (Click ARQ Call, Entering the target call sign and then Clicking Call Callsign).  All this explained in the help file.

            The ARQ connection is initiated by very specificly formatted frame containing the Sender’s and target call sign.

            For FEC operation the easiest thing is to edit up a formatted file saying what you wish and saving it as a users file. It could be a general CQ, DX CQ, contest CQ or whatever you wish. Read in the help about how to generate and use User files.

            Rick KN6KB

            Sent: Saturday, November 12, 2011 10:38 PM
            Subject: [V4Protocol] Auto CQ

            Rick, I have been using the V4Chat over a year, and one thing I miss a lot, can you add a auto CQ into V4Chat, please think about if it possiable?
            73 de Mushtaq / LA3RIA

          • Joel Black

              Sent: Saturday, November 12, 2011 10:38 PM

              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 13, 2011
                Thanks Joel,
                That makes some sense but I am always reluctant to put any automatic/unattended mechanism into what is supposed to be a “keyboard” program. There have already been requests for things like the ability to “leave messages” etc. but there are already good programs and protocols around that will handle unattended ARQ operation and messages (e.g. RMS Express with WINMOR, BPQ32 etc.).  It is too easy to create automatic QRM generators! If someone can explain the value in such an Auto CQ and a reliable method for protecting against unattended QRM I will of course consider putting it in.

                Rick KN6KB

                Sent: Saturday, November 12, 2011 10:38 PM

                Rick, I have been using the V4Chat over a year, and one thing I miss a lot, can you add a auto CQ into V4Chat, please think about if it possiable?
                73 de Mushtaq / LA3RIA
              • Fred G -w1wyc
                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 13, 2011

                  Hi Rick,

                  MixW has an auto CQ also. You can use the default text as below or create your own.
                  You can also set the delay between CQ's or use the default of 10 seconds.

                  Personally I don't use it but nice feature. I'd be with Joel, W4JBB. Good thing I shut the
                  rig down at nite.  Hi Hi.

                  Fred, W1WYC

                  <TX>
                  CQ CQ CQ de <MYCALL> <MYCALL> <MYCALL>
                  CQ CQ CQ de <MYCALL> <MYCALL> <MYCALL>
                  pse K
                  <RXANDCLEAR>

                  Sent: Saturday, November 12, 2011 10:38 PM

                  Rick, I have been using the V4Chat over a year, and one thing I miss a lot, can you add a auto CQ into V4Chat, please think about if it possiable?
                  73 de Mushtaq / LA3RIA

                • Rick Westerfield

                    Sent: Saturday, November 12, 2011 10:38 PM

                    Rick, I have been using the V4Chat over a year, and one thing I miss a lot, can you add a auto CQ into V4Chat, please think about if it possiable?
                    73 de Mushtaq / LA3RIA

                  • Ed Woods WD9DVA
                    Message 9 of 26 , Nov 13, 2011

                      Are you folks talking abt a beacon type CQ? Thats nuts. Forget it. It means a station is not maned or the sysop is off in the qth doing something else. There is already a manned CQ. Use it and be happy. 73 Ed WD9DVA

                      Sent: Saturday, November 12, 2011 10:38 PM

                      Rick, I have been using the V4Chat over a year, and one thing I miss a lot, can you add a auto CQ into V4Chat, please think about if it possiable?
                      73 de Mushtaq / LA3RIA

                    • Peter Zingsheim
                      Message 10 of 26 , Nov 13, 2011
                        Mni tnx, Rick, for such a lot of good work! Autoupdate ok. 73 Peter

                        --- In V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com, "kn6kb" <rmuething@...> wrote:

                        > All,
                        >
                        > I have uploaded to the Yahoo FTP server and to the auto update server the latest release of V4Chat and the V4 TNC. These are basically minor updates but do improve the reliability with improved timing margins.
                        >
                        > Special thanks to WB2LOU and K1DOW for their testing of these updates and providing important feedback.
                        >
                        > This basically ends the year long Beta test effort although certainly bugs will still be found and upgrades generated. Thanks to all those that contributed to the V4 beta test effort over the last 12 months.
                        >
                        > I am still working on some issues with readback of the frequency data on Yaesu radios.
                        >
                        > I am looking into some additional logging mechanisms to log range and bearing information or gridsquare. What this might lead to is a near future contest weekend where we try and see how many V4 stations can be worked. Those that might have any ideas about this or suggestions please contact me.
                        >
                        > 73,
                        >
                        > Rick Muething, KN6KB

                      • Rick Johnson

                          Message 12 of 26 , Nov 13, 2011
                            Ooops.. responded to the other missive before reading this.
                            I shall return to me hole.

                            73,
                            Rick W3BI

                            Sent: Saturday, November 12, 2011 10:38 PM

                            Message 13 of 26 , Nov 13, 2011
                              Rick. I'm also reluctant to recommend auto qrm. But maybe put in ONE "repeat" button executing the last unanswered choice of ARQ Call. Either were it CQ or Target Callsign?

                              By the way, Autoupdate worked well.

                              73. Finn/LA7UM

                              > Thanks Joel,
                              > That makes some sense but I am always reluctant to put any automatic/unattended mechanism into what is supposed to be a “keyboard” program. There have already been requests for things like the ability to “leave messages” etc. but there are already good programs and protocols around that will handle unattended ARQ operation and messages (e.g. RMS Express with WINMOR, BPQ32 etc.). It is too easy to create automatic QRM generators! If someone can explain the value in such an Auto CQ and a reliable method for protecting against unattended QRM I will of course consider putting it in.
                              >
                              > Rick KN6KB

                            • rapidan2011
                              Message 14 of 26 , Nov 13, 2011
                                This makes no sense. There is no proven benefit. What good will it do.

                                Adding these little quirky Apps only builds more overhead and could possibly inhibit V4 performance.

                                We have enough QRM generators in the human form, why more?

                                Ted, WB2LOU

                                --- In V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com, Mushtaq Ahmed <la3ria@...> wrote:

                                > Rick, I have been using the V4Chat over a year, and one thing I miss a lot, can you add a auto CQ into V4Chat, please think about if it possiable?73 de Mushtaq / LA3RIA

                              • ham
                                Message 15 of 26 , Nov 13, 2011
                                  The issue with the ICOM 735 changing filter options is still there.

                                  I suppose this bug is still on the low priority list?

                                  Upgrade went perfectly.

                                  73, Bernie

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Nov 13, 2011
                                    Finn,

                                    You can already do a repeat with two clicks now (ARQ Call, CQ) or (ARQ Call, Call Callsign).  Why add another seldom used button to crowd and confuse and save one click? That is just not good GUI design.

                                    Rick

                                    --- In mailto:V4Protocol%40yahoogroups.com, "Rick Muething" <rmuething@...> wrote:

                                    > Thanks
                                    Joel,
                                    > That makes some sense but I am always reluctant to put any
                                    automatic/unattended mechanism into what is supposed to be a “keyboard” program. There have already been requests for things like the ability to “leave messages” etc. but there are already good programs and protocols around that will handle unattended ARQ operation and messages (e.g. RMS Express with WINMOR, BPQ32 etc.). It is too easy to create automatic QRM generators! If someone can explain the value in such an Auto CQ and a reliable method for protecting against unattended QRM I will of course consider putting it in.

                                    > Rick KN6KB

                                    LA3RIA

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Nov 13, 2011
                                      Bernie,

                                      Bug fixing priority is based on a number of things:
                                          1) How serious is it?
                                          2) How many users does it effect?  (there aren’t too many 735 users now days)
                                          3) Do I have the resources to easily fix it...e.g. I don’t have access to a 735 myself so fixes to that end up being totally trial and error often requiring many iterations of me making a change, trying to capture more info on the effect of the change, and having some one else run the test.
                                          4) How much time I have to devote to the project and the type of bug fix.  Right now I am pretty busy with several projects.  Remember this is all volunteer work often 20 + hours a week or more.

                                      I have the 735 bug and the readback from Yaesu radios on my list as well as a few others but I needed to get this release out since it affected almost every user since it had to do with some marginal timing situations. The net result is more reliable operation for most users.

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Nov 13, 2011
                                        Rick:

                                        Not a problem. The ICOM fix is a "nice to have"

                                        V4 Chat is fully functional as is.

                                        Now we need some promotional work. Anyone willing to write an article for QST or CQ?

                                        73, Bernie

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Nov 13, 2011
                                          Rick, you are probably right. I also did not think of it before. The thougth just stumbled into my mind because of the AutoQrm discussion.
                                          Not a "not good" GUI, more a "no GUI at all" solution.... more command based trick "in beween".

                                          A joke. Please forget it. There are more important tasks ahead :-)

                                          73. Finn/LA7UM

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Nov 13, 2011
                                            Bernie,
                                            The Article is a good idea. I would be willing to help and co author with someone else.  The earlier papers I wrote on V4 for DCC were pretty technical...what is probably needed now is a more “hands on” how do I set it up and use it type of article.

                                            Another promotional Idea I had was some type of contest.  In a near future release I plan to  include a simple  mechanism for automatically  exchanging grid squares on a V4 ARQ QSO.  We could use that  and V4Chat’s standard ADIF log to make it easy to  submit and “score” a V4 contest.   It would emphasize the accuracy of the V4 ARQ and the efficiency of exchanging and logging basic QSO data.  Those that are more familiar with contesting could help set this up.

                                            Not a problem. The ICOM fix is a "nice to have"

                                            V4 Chat is fully functional as is.

                                            Now we need some promotional work. Anyone willing to write an article for QST or CQ?

                                            73, Bernie

                                            --- In mailto:V4Protocol%40yahoogroups.com, "Rick Muething" <rmuething@...> wrote:

                                            > Bernie,
                                            >
                                            > Bug fixing priority is based on a number of things:
                                            > 1) How
                                            serious is it?
                                            > 2) How many users does it effect? (there aren’t too
                                            many 735 users now days)
                                            > 3) Do I have the resources to easily fix
                                            it...e.g. I don’t have access to a 735 myself so fixes to that end up being totally trial and error often requiring many iterations of me making a change, trying to capture more info on the effect of the change, and having some one else run the test.
                                            > 4) How much time I have to devote to the project and
                                            the type of bug fix. Right now I am pretty busy with several projects. Remember this is all volunteer work often 20 + hours a week or more.

                                            have the 735 bug and the readback from Yaesu radios on my list as well as a few others but I needed to get this release out since it affected almost every user since it had to do with some marginal timing situations. The net result is more reliable operation for most users.

                                            > 73,
                                            >
                                            > Rick
                                            KN6KB

                                            Bernie

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Nov 14, 2011
                                              Bernie and Rick. In an article it also could be focused on the ability to direct inform another field Winlink station about that NOW a message (maybe urgent) is sent into the wl2ksystem (using pactor, winmor or whatever on whatever band.)

                                              This works if one known usable non winlink frequency could be agreed upon as stby for everybody participation in an action. For voice and V4Chat.

                                              If it works voice or V4, good. If not, you just need to wait for the target station to check into Winlink system by his normal routine.

                                              I have so far not seen any problem being online RMS Express and V4Chat at the same time, even WINMOR session ready though NOT P2P.

                                              I use manual tune of the radio.

                                              Such information given by V4CHAT may have a better chance of getting through if qrm than pure voice which could be the primary administrative communication.

                                              Have I have missed something here?

                                              73 de la7um Finn

                                              Message 22 of 26 , Nov 15, 2011
                                                Hi,
                                                my 2 cents:
                                                To me, a keyboard program means just that: keys used for typing. "chat" is the keyword. Right now, V4Chat sets itself apart from the crowd. There are plenty of other digimodes with apps that use keys for shortcuts to all sorts of canned texts and rubber stamps. Any feature, if provided, will eventually be used by the crowd. Following the crowd is not my concept of progress.
                                                73, Peter