Re: [V4Protocol] ARQ & FEC

  • John Hirth
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 4, 2011
      Hi Rick,

      Thanks for the reminder of how to send you information of use to you in debugging a "situation".  I've used it to send several sets of logs to you as I've encountered past problems. Monitoring established ARQ QSOs, while interesting and I do use it, is not of high value in my type of operating. I've never thought this was anywhere near enough of an issue to warrant reporting, as V4Chat works very well for me in ARQ QSOs.

      Thanks again for all your work!
      73, John W2KI
      -----
      On 11/4/2011 4:23 PM, Rick Muething wrote:

      John,

      There is a mechanism that has been in V4Chat and V4 TNC since the beginning called the debug log. If you enable it very accurate time tags (to 10 ms) are logged at key points in the V4 TNC program. This all was and is  there to aid in debugging and optimization and has been invaluable in tracking down real problems and also in finding “setup” or “cockpit” problems in the protocol.

      I seriously doubt there is any timing problem with a 1.4 GHz computer and 2 G of memory...V4 is successfully running on much slower machines than that and there is considerable decoding margin built into the timing.  But in any case the REAL mechanism for locating if it is a problem and where it might be always comes down to the following:
      1) Enable the debug log
      2) Describe as best as possible the problem observed and the exact time (UTC as close as possible) it was observed.
      3) Include the log as an attachment to and send to me...in some cases both ends of the session may be required which is a bit more difficult but possible.

      This is practically the ONLY way improvement can be made and has resulted in continual and dramatic improvements in the V4 Protocol and V4 Chat over the past 11 months or so.  Debugging or optimizing the performance of a protocol is not some thing than can be done by guess work or casual observations.