Re: [V4Protocol] V4 Trouble on Old ICOM 706

  • Ted Trostle
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 11, 2011
      OK Paul did you see my email to you??

      On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 9:42 AM, Paul Whitaker <dromana@...> wrote:

      Hi Ted,
      RMS Express problems - I can send you the details of my setup there if you think it would help.
      To save clogging this group with RMS stuff, I can send it direct to your EMail if best ?  Maybee send me your EMail.
      Mine is   dromana@...

      Paul.
      VK3DPW

      At 12:01 AM 11/10/2011, you wrote:

      While it works very well on V4, now I now need to get the 706 running on WINMOR RMS Express the same way.

      Ted, WB2LOU

      On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 8:47 AM, Paul Whitaker <dromana@...> wrote:

      Hi Ted,
      Glad it helped - If you ever get around to HRD Remote control with IC706, let me know.

      Paul Whitaker.
      VK3DPW

      At 11:19 PM 10/10/2011, you wrote:

      Paul your suggestion works !!
      Many thanks for pointing out a COM combo that I missed trying.

      Ted, WB2LOU

      On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 1:53 AM, Paul Whitaker <dromana@...> wrote:

      Hi Ted,
      Im using the IC706 older version.
      I operate HRD, Ham Radio Integrator, WL2K, and V4 all successfully.
      I also operate HRD in remote mode over WiFi network- which was a challenge, but works well with IPSound software.

      The 706 has a limited number of functions on CAT control, and as someone else pointed out, PTT is not one of them.
      If you check out the Ham Radio Deluxe help file, there is some good info. about interfaces. That is what I based mine on.
      I use a 4N25 optocoupler for PTT, a MAX232 for CAT level shifting, and 2 small 1:1 600 ohm audio transformers for audio isolation.
      My V4 latency is usually around 50. Also, I have to date not bothered with an external soundcard (BAD say many), but use the Mic & Ear
      sockets on my laptop. I had some noise feeding back to the receiver from the operation of the trackpad, but properly shielding the interface totally fixed that.
      I cant comment on other issues with onboard soundcard - but I purchased a soundcard USB dongle for $19, but havent got around to comparing.
      You could also fhrow on some HF rated ferrite clipons for good measure - I use them with Pactor 3, but as yet, havent seen the need on V4 & the others.
      See Airmail help for more info on ferrites.

      As for settings in V4Chat: Radio Setup...
      Icom Amateur Radios.
      48
      USB

      RADIO CONTROL PORT:
      Com 13, 9600, Enable RTS, Enable DTR

      PTT PORT (optional):
      Com 13, 9600 is greyed out, Enable RTS, Enable DTR

      A warning about same serial port appears, but continue.  Should all work then.  Of course, your radio address might not be 48, and you might not be on Com 13.

      Good luck, and check out the HRD help file - good information.

      Cheers

      Paul Whitaker. VK3DPW
      Monitoring 14073 ARQ most of the time.

      At 03:00 AM 10/10/2011, you wrote:

      I need some assistance with the TNC and radio settings in V4.
      My computer is a Toshiba dual core laptop running WIN 7 64 bit.
      The radio is a ICOM 706 (old model) which I have succesfully interfaced with HRD and MultiPSK
      The interface is a Digi ICOM CAT/CV-I serial port product made by xggcomms.com in England. I have successfully used this interface with HRD and MultiPSK and a few other digi programs and logging programs.
      I use an external USB sound card which shows as COM 3 with audio cables connecting to the Interface. The interface is connected to a computer USB which shows as COM 4. A CV-I cable from the interface is connected to the ICOM 706 CV-I connector.
      In V4 Set Up
      TNC: The capture device is selected to be the microphone on the USB sound card, The play back device is selected to be the USB sound card speaker output.
      Radio Settings: Radio Control Port = Com 4, PTT Control Port = CV-I...these settings allow the 706 to set and control frequency, but it will not key the transmitter
      If I set Radio Control Port = COM 3 RTS enabled, PTT control Port= Com 4 DTS enable or RTS enabled the radio keys and transmitts immediately without control.
      Any assistance or ideas will be appreciated.

      Ted, WB2LOU
      Dromana Drive-In - 50 Years, 20 December 2012

      --
      Ted, WB2LOU

      You cannot change history, but you can make history !
      The legal cure for Ignorance is Education. The Stupidity of many is incurable.