Connect situation

  • John Hirth
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 6, 2011
      I came upon an interesting situation this evening.

      After calling CQ in ARQ, I was called by NY3J, who was pretty weak here.
      I acknowledged his first call (program showed COnnected to NY3J), but
      obviously he didn't hear my ACK. His connect frames continued, buy my
      end just sat quietly, never sending another ACK to the connect request,
      until he eventually timed out and sent his CW ID.

      Is this as intended? It would seem to me that had my end sent ACKs to
      each of his Connect frames, even though my end thought we were
      connected, he might have well caught one one of the ACKs and our QSO
      could have proceeded.

      Just an observation, and I guess, a question.
      John W2KI
    • Ron Wenig

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 6, 2011
          John,

          Your end will send an ACK to ANY connect frame targeted to your station. A connect frame is just a data frame of a particular format. But if you do not decode a successful connect frame you will not answer. None of this has changed in the protocol in the last 10 or so revisions.

          Rick KN6KB

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 6, 2011
            FB, Rick. I guess my end just was not decoding NY3J's successive connect
            frames, thus not sending subsequent ACKs. Sorry for wasting bandwidth.
            John W2KI
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 6, 2011
              Ron,
              getting exactly on frequency is not important. If your capture range (set in setup) is say 100 Hz then anything within that 100 Hz will decode the same. The DSP code automatically determines the frequency to about 1 Hz with every frame based on its leader.

              Rick KN6KB