Re: [V4Protocol] Trial Patch for V4 TNC.exe Version 0.6.3.3 uploaded

    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 3, 2011
      Ray,

      If it won’t bind to the port there are usually only two things that can cause that:
      1) The port is blocked by a firewall/router. I don’t think this is the case
      2) Another program (or stub of the Current program) is still running and has the port open.  Fix by:
          a) Restarting Windows
          b) Use the task manager. Look at Processes (sort alphabetical) look for V4 TNC as a running process and kill it using Task manager.

      It should start correctly then.

      Rick KN6KB

      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 3, 2011
        Rick may i ask again how many contacts are needed for autoregister??
        Dg9bfc
        Sigi

      • ham
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 4, 2011
          To determine if a port is open by a Windows program, download TCPVIEW from the Sysinternals site. This program displays all running programs and the corresponding TCP/UDP ports that are open.

          73, Bernie

          > Ray,
          >
          > If it won’t bind to the port there are usually only two things that can cause that:
          > 1) The port is blocked by a firewall/router. I don’t think this is the case
          > 2) Another program (or stub of the Current program) is still running and has the port open. Fix by:
          > a) Restarting Windows
          > b) Use the task manager. Look at Processes (sort alphabetical) look for V4 TNC as a running process and kill it using Task manager.
          >
          > It should start correctly then.
          >
          > Rick KN6KB

        • Yussuf
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 4, 2011
            Placed the new V4 TNC.exe into my V4Chat directory of W7 minilaptop and all run fb!
            Vy tnx Rick. 73 "Yussi" OH7TE

            2011/10/4 ham <ve3fwf@...>

            To determine if a port is open by a Windows program, download TCPVIEW from the Sysinternals site. This program displays all running programs and the corresponding TCP/UDP ports that are open.

            73, Bernie

            > Ray,
            >
            > If it won’t bind to the port there are usually only two things that can cause that:
            > 1) The port is blocked by a firewall/router. I don’t think this is the case

            > 2) Another program (or stub of the Current program) is still running and has the port open. Fix by:
            > a) Restarting Windows
            > b) Use the task manager. Look at Processes (sort alphabetical) look for V4 TNC as a running process and kill it using Task manager.
            >
            > It should start correctly then.
            >
            > Rick KN6KB

            73's OH7TE Yufenau

            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 5, 2011
              The auto registration is for those that are truly “using or evaluating” the protocol and that requires a very small number of 10 ARQ connections.  Remember there is no absolute need for registration...the program is free and does not expire...it just pops up the “donation suggestion nag” if unregistered.  Those donations are what pay the bills (all programming and administration labor is volunteered) that cover real costs like software licensing, and development tools and test equipment.  Auto registration will be closed when the first “production” release 1.0.0.0

              Rick KN6KB

              Sent: Tuesday, October 04, 2011 2:55 AM

              Nachricht-----
              href="mailto:V4Protocol%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:V4Protocol%40yahoogroups.com [mailto:mailto:V4Protocol%40yahoogroups.com] Im
              > Auftrag von Rick Muething
              > Gesendet: Montag, 3. Oktober 2011
              22:40
              > An:
              href="mailto:V4Protocol%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:V4Protocol%40yahoogroups.com

              Betreff: Re: [V4Protocol] Trial Patch for V4 TNC.exe Version 0.6.3.3

              uploaded

              > Ray,
              > The registration number
              has nothing to do with the port blocking. You
              > shouldn’t have to enter
              the registration key at all it should auto
              > register if you have made the
              required number of ARQ connections. This is
              > working for almost everyone
              else? I see MANY auto registrations emails
              > come through.
              >
              > I can’t tell anything by your description. Clear out the V4Chat and
              V4
              > TNC logs and debug logs. Then start up V4Chat. Send me the V4Chat
              log,
              > V4Chat exception log and V4 TNC Debug log and I will take a
              look.

              > Rick

              href="mailto:ray.goodall%40gmail.com">mailto:ray.goodall%40gmail.com>

              Sent: Monday, October 03, 2011 4:36 PM
              > To:
              href="mailto:V4Protocol%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:V4Protocol%40yahoogroups.com

              uploaded

              > Afternoon Rick
              >
              > Per
              your instructions, I installed The V4 TNC revision 0.6.3.3 and it
              > works
              only partially. Port 8510 is no longer blocked when the
              > registration
              number is entered, but the TNC leaves the screen and is not
              > visible when
              V4Chat is running. Removed the registration number from the
              > .ini file
              and it is back on the screen and working as it should. Perhaps
              > one more
              small tweak?

              ________________________________

              href="mailto:V4Protocol%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:V4Protocol%40yahoogroups.com [mailto:mailto:V4Protocol%40yahoogroups.com] On
              > Behalf Of kn6kb
              > Sent: Monday, October 03, 2011 2:34
              PM
              > To:
              href="mailto:V4Protocol%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:V4Protocol%40yahoogroups.com

              > All,
              >
              > This is a
              trial patch for test and comments. It should fix problems some
              > have had
              with autoregistration and port problems on startup.

              > It also has
              some changes to reduce CPU loading primarily during searches
              > while
              looking for V4 Signal. These appear to work fine here on the
              > simulator
              and reduce the CPU loading a little less than half when the
              > program is
              idle looking for a V4 signal.