Re: Trial Patch for V4 TNC.exe Version 0.6.3.3 uploaded

    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 3, 2011
      Rick, ok qsl. And now sensitivity comfirmed. Just had one nice qso to Italy I6QFZ Franco, and then just after, VE9NC Paul in Canada. Not bad 10W and G5RV. 73 Finn/LA7UM near Oslo, and thanks for a good mode....by the way when RX it would have been nice keeping the Cursor where I am typing in manual log. It moves away from there by any incoming text in upper right window.><

      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 3, 2011
        Ray,
        The registration number has nothing to do with the port blocking.  You shouldn’t have to enter the registration key at all it should auto register if you have made the required number of ARQ connections.  This is working for almost everyone else?  I see MANY auto registrations emails come through.

        I can’t tell anything by your description.  Clear out the V4Chat and V4 TNC logs and debug logs.  Then start up V4Chat. Send me the V4Chat log, V4Chat exception log and V4 TNC Debug log and I will take a look.

        Rick

        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 3, 2011

          Rick

          Okay, here are the files requested. I think I see the problem for it is indicating something else is using the port.  However, whatever that something is, I cannot find it.

          Ray KB0E

          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 3, 2011
            Ray,

            If it won’t bind to the port there are usually only two things that can cause that:
            1) The port is blocked by a firewall/router. I don’t think this is the case
            2) Another program (or stub of the Current program) is still running and has the port open.  Fix by:
                a) Restarting Windows
                b) Use the task manager. Look at Processes (sort alphabetical) look for V4 TNC as a running process and kill it using Task manager.

            It should start correctly then.

            Rick KN6KB

[...]

          • Siegfried Jackstien
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 3, 2011
              Rick may i ask again how many contacts are needed for autoregister??
              Dg9bfc
              Sigi

            • ham
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 4, 2011
                To determine if a port is open by a Windows program, download TCPVIEW from the Sysinternals site. This program displays all running programs and the corresponding TCP/UDP ports that are open.

                73, Bernie

                > Ray,
                >
                > If it won’t bind to the port there are usually only two things that can cause that:
                > 1) The port is blocked by a firewall/router. I don’t think this is the case
                > 2) Another program (or stub of the Current program) is still running and has the port open. Fix by:
                > a) Restarting Windows
                > b) Use the task manager. Look at Processes (sort alphabetical) look for V4 TNC as a running process and kill it using Task manager.
                >
                > It should start correctly then.
                >
                > Rick KN6KB

              • Yussuf
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 4, 2011
                  Placed the new V4 TNC.exe into my V4Chat directory of W7 minilaptop and all run fb!
                  Vy tnx Rick. 73 "Yussi" OH7TE

                  2011/10/4 ham <ve3fwf@...>

                  To determine if a port is open by a Windows program, download TCPVIEW from the Sysinternals site. This program displays all running programs and the corresponding TCP/UDP ports that are open.

                  73, Bernie

                  > Ray,
                  >
                  > If it won’t bind to the port there are usually only two things that can cause that:
                  > 1) The port is blocked by a firewall/router. I don’t think this is the case

                  > 2) Another program (or stub of the Current program) is still running and has the port open. Fix by:
                  > a) Restarting Windows
                  > b) Use the task manager. Look at Processes (sort alphabetical) look for V4 TNC as a running process and kill it using Task manager.
                  >
                  > It should start correctly then.
                  >
                  > Rick KN6KB

                  73's OH7TE Yufenau

                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 5, 2011
                    The auto registration is for those that are truly “using or evaluating” the protocol and that requires a very small number of 10 ARQ connections.  Remember there is no absolute need for registration...the program is free and does not expire...it just pops up the “donation suggestion nag” if unregistered.  Those donations are what pay the bills (all programming and administration labor is volunteered) that cover real costs like software licensing, and development tools and test equipment.  Auto registration will be closed when the first “production” release 1.0.0.0

                    Rick KN6KB

                    Sent: Tuesday, October 04, 2011 2:55 AM

                    Nachricht-----
                    href="mailto:V4Protocol%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:V4Protocol%40yahoogroups.com [mailto:mailto:V4Protocol%40yahoogroups.com] Im
                    > Auftrag von Rick Muething
                    > Gesendet: Montag, 3. Oktober 2011
                    22:40
                    > An:
                    href="mailto:V4Protocol%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:V4Protocol%40yahoogroups.com

                    Betreff: Re: [V4Protocol] Trial Patch for V4 TNC.exe Version 0.6.3.3

                    uploaded

                    > Ray,
                    > The registration number
                    has nothing to do with the port blocking. You
                    > shouldn’t have to enter
                    the registration key at all it should auto
                    > register if you have made the
                    required number of ARQ connections. This is
                    > working for almost everyone
                    else? I see MANY auto registrations emails
                    > come through.
                    >
                    > I can’t tell anything by your description. Clear out the V4Chat and
                    V4
                    > TNC logs and debug logs. Then start up V4Chat. Send me the V4Chat
                    log,
                    > V4Chat exception log and V4 TNC Debug log and I will take a
                    look.

                    > Rick

                    href="mailto:ray.goodall%40gmail.com">mailto:ray.goodall%40gmail.com>

                    Sent: Monday, October 03, 2011 4:36 PM
                    > To:
                    href="mailto:V4Protocol%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:V4Protocol%40yahoogroups.com

                    uploaded

                    > Afternoon Rick
                    >
                    > Per
                    your instructions, I installed The V4 TNC revision 0.6.3.3 and it
                    > works
                    only partially. Port 8510 is no longer blocked when the
                    > registration
                    number is entered, but the TNC leaves the screen and is not
                    > visible when
                    V4Chat is running. Removed the registration number from the
                    > .ini file
                    and it is back on the screen and working as it should. Perhaps
                    > one more
                    small tweak?

                    ________________________________

                    href="mailto:V4Protocol%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:V4Protocol%40yahoogroups.com [mailto:mailto:V4Protocol%40yahoogroups.com] On
                    > Behalf Of kn6kb
                    > Sent: Monday, October 03, 2011 2:34
                    PM
                    > To:
                    href="mailto:V4Protocol%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:V4Protocol%40yahoogroups.com

                    > All,
                    >
                    > This is a
                    trial patch for test and comments. It should fix problems some
                    > have had
                    with autoregistration and port problems on startup.

                    > It also has
                    some changes to reduce CPU loading primarily during searches
                    > while
                    looking for V4 Signal. These appear to work fine here on the
                    > simulator
                    and reduce the CPU loading a little less than half when the
                    > program is
                    idle looking for a V4 signal.