Re: Trial Patch for V4 TNC.exe Version 0.6.3.3 uploaded

    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 3, 2011
      Rick. After restart of the PC it report failure to open port 8510, and ask the Firewall for server privileges.

      If waiting a loooong time a new windows pop up tells a permanent failure opening this 8510 port.

      Clicking that warning away it opens ok, but does NOT shut down when closing Chat program.

      Forcing shut down (in the Help menu) do shut down the task manager.

      Next try opening the Firewall screams again, wanting being a server.
      If accepting that firewall question the TNC opens ok.

      AND NOW shut down normally when closing the V4Chat itself.

      Now the Firewall IS open and next time both Chat and TNC opens without complaint. And shut down normally

      This has for me been the issue also in 0.6.3.0 So no change here

      I succesfully earlier got the registration issue, so that is never a problem, just the claim to the Firewall opening the port 8510 for server use. Every first time after rebooting the PC.

      If I give it Server privileges, then it the TNC opens up.

      I also expect that if I tell the firewall to PERMANENTLY give it server privileges on 8510 it will always start perfect after reboot.

      Now the fun is to check for the enhanced QSO reading abilites.

      Hope that helps somehow to begin with.....
      73 Finn/LA7UM

      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 3, 2011
        Finn,/All

        ”I also expect that if I tell the firewall to PERMANENTLY give it server privileges on 8510 it will always start perfect after reboot.”

        Sure....that is the whole idea!  If you are going to let the firewall pass the connection then create a permanent “rule” for this application.

        There has to be a timeout (now 15 seconds) in V4 Chat that says ....if you can’t connect to the V4 TNC in this time then declare an error. Once the firewall is set up it should work every time.

        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 3, 2011
          Whoops...forgot to remove the duplicate. No harm. The duplicate will be removed on release.

          Rick KN6KB

        • Ray
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 3, 2011

            Afternoon Rick

            Per your instructions, I installed The V4 TNC revision 0.6.3.3 and it works only partially.  Port 8510 is no longer blocked when the registration number is entered, but the TNC leaves the screen and is not visible when V4Chat is running. Removed the registration number from the .ini file and it is back on the screen and working as it should.  Perhaps one more small tweak?

            Ray KB0E

            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 3, 2011
              Rick, ok qsl. And now sensitivity comfirmed. Just had one nice qso to Italy I6QFZ Franco, and then just after, VE9NC Paul in Canada. Not bad 10W and G5RV. 73 Finn/LA7UM near Oslo, and thanks for a good mode....by the way when RX it would have been nice keeping the Cursor where I am typing in manual log. It moves away from there by any incoming text in upper right window.><

              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 3, 2011
                Ray,
                The registration number has nothing to do with the port blocking.  You shouldn’t have to enter the registration key at all it should auto register if you have made the required number of ARQ connections.  This is working for almost everyone else?  I see MANY auto registrations emails come through.

                I can’t tell anything by your description.  Clear out the V4Chat and V4 TNC logs and debug logs.  Then start up V4Chat. Send me the V4Chat log, V4Chat exception log and V4 TNC Debug log and I will take a look.

                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 3, 2011

                  Okay, here are the files requested. I think I see the problem for it is indicating something else is using the port.  However, whatever that something is, I cannot find it.

                  Ray KB0E

                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 3, 2011
                    Ray,

                    If it won’t bind to the port there are usually only two things that can cause that:
                    1) The port is blocked by a firewall/router. I don’t think this is the case
                    2) Another program (or stub of the Current program) is still running and has the port open.  Fix by:
                        a) Restarting Windows
                        b) Use the task manager. Look at Processes (sort alphabetical) look for V4 TNC as a running process and kill it using Task manager.

                    It should start correctly then.

                    Rick KN6KB

[...]

                  • Siegfried Jackstien
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 3, 2011
                      Rick may i ask again how many contacts are needed for autoregister??
                      Dg9bfc
                      Sigi

                    • ham
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 4, 2011
                        To determine if a port is open by a Windows program, download TCPVIEW from the Sysinternals site. This program displays all running programs and the corresponding TCP/UDP ports that are open.

                        73, Bernie

                        > Ray,
                        >
                        > If it won’t bind to the port there are usually only two things that can cause that:
                        > 1) The port is blocked by a firewall/router. I don’t think this is the case
                        > 2) Another program (or stub of the Current program) is still running and has the port open. Fix by:
                        > a) Restarting Windows
                        > b) Use the task manager. Look at Processes (sort alphabetical) look for V4 TNC as a running process and kill it using Task manager.
                        >
                        > It should start correctly then.
                        >
                        > Rick KN6KB

                      • Yussuf
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 4, 2011
                          Placed the new V4 TNC.exe into my V4Chat directory of W7 minilaptop and all run fb!
                          Vy tnx Rick. 73 "Yussi" OH7TE

                          2011/10/4 ham <ve3fwf@...>

                          To determine if a port is open by a Windows program, download TCPVIEW from the Sysinternals site. This program displays all running programs and the corresponding TCP/UDP ports that are open.

                          73, Bernie

                          > Ray,
                          >
                          > If it won’t bind to the port there are usually only two things that can cause that:
                          > 1) The port is blocked by a firewall/router. I don’t think this is the case

                          > 2) Another program (or stub of the Current program) is still running and has the port open. Fix by:
                          > a) Restarting Windows
                          > b) Use the task manager. Look at Processes (sort alphabetical) look for V4 TNC as a running process and kill it using Task manager.
                          >
                          > It should start correctly then.
                          >
                          > Rick KN6KB

                          73's OH7TE Yufenau

                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 5, 2011
                            The auto registration is for those that are truly “using or evaluating” the protocol and that requires a very small number of 10 ARQ connections.  Remember there is no absolute need for registration...the program is free and does not expire...it just pops up the “donation suggestion nag” if unregistered.  Those donations are what pay the bills (all programming and administration labor is volunteered) that cover real costs like software licensing, and development tools and test equipment.  Auto registration will be closed when the first “production” release 1.0.0.0

                            Rick KN6KB

                            Sent: Tuesday, October 04, 2011 2:55 AM

                            Nachricht-----
                            href="mailto:V4Protocol%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:V4Protocol%40yahoogroups.com [mailto:mailto:V4Protocol%40yahoogroups.com] Im
                            > Auftrag von Rick Muething
                            > Gesendet: Montag, 3. Oktober 2011
                            22:40
                            > An:
                            href="mailto:V4Protocol%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:V4Protocol%40yahoogroups.com

                            Betreff: Re: [V4Protocol] Trial Patch for V4 TNC.exe Version 0.6.3.3

                            uploaded

                            > Ray,
                            > The registration number
                            has nothing to do with the port blocking. You
                            > shouldn’t have to enter
                            the registration key at all it should auto
                            > register if you have made the
                            required number of ARQ connections. This is
                            > working for almost everyone
                            else? I see MANY auto registrations emails
                            > come through.
                            >
                            > I can’t tell anything by your description. Clear out the V4Chat and
                            V4
                            > TNC logs and debug logs. Then start up V4Chat. Send me the V4Chat
                            log,
                            > V4Chat exception log and V4 TNC Debug log and I will take a
                            look.

                            > Rick

                            href="mailto:ray.goodall%40gmail.com">mailto:ray.goodall%40gmail.com>

                            Sent: Monday, October 03, 2011 4:36 PM
                            > To:
                            href="mailto:V4Protocol%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:V4Protocol%40yahoogroups.com

                            uploaded

                            > Afternoon Rick
                            >
                            > Per
                            your instructions, I installed The V4 TNC revision 0.6.3.3 and it
                            > works
                            only partially. Port 8510 is no longer blocked when the
                            > registration
                            number is entered, but the TNC leaves the screen and is not
                            > visible when
                            V4Chat is running. Removed the registration number from the
                            > .ini file
                            and it is back on the screen and working as it should. Perhaps
                            > one more
                            small tweak?

                            ________________________________

                            href="mailto:V4Protocol%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:V4Protocol%40yahoogroups.com [mailto:mailto:V4Protocol%40yahoogroups.com] On
                            > Behalf Of kn6kb
                            > Sent: Monday, October 03, 2011 2:34
                            PM
                            > To:
                            href="mailto:V4Protocol%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:V4Protocol%40yahoogroups.com

                            > All,
                            >
                            > This is a
                            trial patch for test and comments. It should fix problems some
                            > have had
                            with autoregistration and port problems on startup.

                            > It also has
                            some changes to reduce CPU loading primarily during searches
                            > while
                            looking for V4 Signal. These appear to work fine here on the
                            > simulator
                            and reduce the CPU loading a little less than half when the
                            > program is
                            idle looking for a V4 signal.