Re: [V4Protocol] Port 8510 blocked

  • Stan Kozlowitz
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 1, 2011
      It is also logical for PROGRAM to release the port when it closes.

      Stan Kozlowitz
      aa5xo@...
      aa5xo@...
      NNN0YSD@...

      304-880-5110

      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 1, 2011
        My V4 Chat auto registered this afternoon with the following start-up message:

        *** Startup of V4Chat Ver 0.6.3.0 ; Auto Update Enabled using HTTP port 8776
        *** Failure to open Command Port 8510 to V4 TNC.
        Check and make sure port is unused.
        *** Failure to open Open V4 TNC.

        As it was working perfectly before the auto registration I tried going back to yesterdays 'old' .exe and .ini files with the same result.

        I did a system restore to yesterday to get V4 to work correctly again.

        Another point - the registration window says that a backup file has been saved to V4 TNC.ini.G3JFS. I searched the V4 files and my hard drive but cannot find this file or the registration key(which I did write down).

        I launch V4 from a desk top shortcut and have never ever had a problem running it before the auto update kicked in. My Task Manager shows only one instance of V4 running.

        My computer is a dual core Pentium with Windows XP Media Centre Edition SP3.

        73 Peter G3JFS

        > >When it says the Port is blocked it is most usually that you have
        > >another instance of the TNC running. If they are setup to use the same
        > >port (e.g. They were launched with the same port code) there will be a
        > >conflict. Normally the V4 Chat takes full control of starting, checking
        > >for existing instances and shutting down the V4 TNC. but if you
        > >attempt or somehow start a second instance the port will be blocked.
        > >Since this is not happening with most users and I don’t see it here I
        > >suspect it is because you have launched a second instance or not killed
        > >an existing instance. You can use Task manager to check for instances
        > >(usually shown as the V4 TNC process). If you don’t launch the V4
        > >TNC by itself (letting V4Chat do it) you shouldn’t have the problem.
        > >

        > Rick
        >
        > I too have seen this problem three or four times over recent releases.
        > After I realized what was happening, I have been very careful not to
        > launch the program more than once at a time, but an extra TNC process
        > seems to appear sometimes all by itself. Killing it with Task Manager as
        > you describe has always fixed the problem.
        >
        > Running Windows XP + SP3 etc.
        >
        > --
        > 73
        > Ian, G3NRW

      • John Wiseman
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 2, 2011

          I am sure there is a problem with the Auto Registration process, at least on my machine running Windows 7 Starter, with Outlook as email client.

          What I did was:

          Start V4TNC with a V4TNC.ini file not containing Registration= or Registration Email Sent= lines. Registration popup appeared. I entered my registration code, and the Auto Registration Thank you box appears. I closed the box, and the TNC also closed. The backup file wasn’t created, and as far as I can see, no email was sent. There were no errors in the Exceptions log, and the Debug log contained:

          2011/10/02 10:44:00.55 [0.6.3.0] New ARQ State : IRSWaitLeader

          2011/10/02 10:44:00.57 [0.6.3.0] ClearSession 4

          2011/10/02 10:44:01.94 [0.6.3.0] [StartCodec] Setting SelectedPlaybackDevice = Speakers (7- USB Audio CODEC )-e6

          2011/10/02 10:44:02.83 [0.6.3.0] [StartCodec] Successful start of codec

          2011/10/02 10:44:02.87 [0.6.3.0] ClearSession 4

          2011/10/02 10:44:32.33 [0.6.3.0] [StopCodec] Stop thrNotify with blnSCCapturing = False

          2011/10/02 10:44:33.35 [0.6.3.0] [StopCodec] blnInWaitThread = False, thrNotify ended.

          2011/10/02 10:44:33.61 [0.6.3.0] [StopCodec] = True

          I checked the .ini file, and the Registration= line was now present. Restarting the TNC give the “Email will be sent” popup. The TNC window did not appear, but the log indicated it had started. Again the TNC closed when I closed the popup.

          2011/10/02 10:44:58.63 [0.6.3.0] New ARQ State : IRSWaitLeader

          2011/10/02 10:44:58.68 [0.6.3.0] ClearSession 4

          2011/10/02 10:45:07.05 [0.6.3.0] [StopCodec] Stop thrNotify with blnSCCapturing = False

          2011/10/02 10:45:08.06 [0.6.3.0] [StopCodec] blnInWaitThread = False, thrNotify ended.

          2011/10/02 10:45:08.42 [0.6.3.0] [StopCodec] = True

          This repeated every time I tried to start the TNC, until I manually added a Registration Email Sent= line to the .ini file. Then the TNC started normally.

          If I didn’t enter my registration key, the TNC would run unregistered.

          So, to sum up, the TNC seems to work if the registration lines are missing from the V4TNC.ini file, so long as I don’t try to register.

          If I have the Registration= line, but not the  Registration Email Sent= line, the TNC will always close when I close the “email will be sent” popup.

          73,

          John G8BPQ

        • Peter
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 2, 2011
            Hi all,

            Today I installed V4 Chat 0.6.3.0 on an old computer running XP SP3. On entering my registration key the registration process was carried out, the program ran as it should and the appropriate entries appeared in the .ini files. A minor problem was that the e-mail did not get sent because it wanted to use Outlook Express which is not set up on my computer.

            Because this 'clean' installation of 0.6.3.0 worked perfectly on entering the Reg key it seems to me that something in the V4 program files on my shack computer has been upset during the course of installing the many updates since I started using the program.

            Peter, G3JFS