Port 8510 blocked

  • jarhead65619
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 30, 2011
      I have encounted problems with all versions after 0.6.1.0 that indicate that port 8510 is blocked and auto update doesn't work. I did a complete new install with version 0.6.2.0 and did not enter my registration number. The program opened normally and the auto-update worked to 0.6.3.0 version. I entered my registration number and it immediately showed that port 8510 was blocked and the TNC was not available. Does someone have an answer as to why a registration number entry would block port 8510?

      Ray KB0E
    • K6KAR
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 30, 2011

        Ray,

        Yes.  A friend of mine recently had this problem.  What he did is totally uninstall V4.  He also went into the remaining V4 folders and deleted all folders and files.  Then he then installed the latest V4 version.  Apparently there was a file from a previous installation causing the problem.  In any case, this fixed the problem.

        73,

        Kirk, K6KAR

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 30, 2011
          Ray,
          When it says the Port is blocked it is most usually that you have another instance of the TNC running. If they are setup to use the same port (e.g. They were launched with the same port code) there will be a conflict. Normally the V4 Chat takes full control of starting, checking for existing instances and shutting down the V4 TNC.  but if you attempt or somehow start a second instance the port will be blocked.  Since this is not happening with most users and I don’t see it here I suspect it is because you have launched a second instance or not killed an existing instance.  You can use Task manager to check for instances (usually shown as the V4 TNC process).   If you don’t launch the V4 TNC by itself (letting V4Chat do it) you shouldn’t have the problem.

          Rick KN6KB

          Sent: Friday, September 30, 2011 12:17 PM

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 30, 2011
            Kirk,
            While I am not familiar with the case you mentioned I do not believe that is the case. There is no file left after an uninstallation that can do that.  When you erase or clear out the directories you eliminate your settings, Your registration key (if registered) your back up registration key, your log book etc.  If you have a “port blocked” situation all that is really required is to find the instance that is already running and kill it or to simply reboot the computer if you don’t know how to kill an orphaned instance with the task manager.

            Believe me I have been writing these TNCs (WINMOR and V4) for over 4 years and I do understand how they work and why a port gets blocked.

            Rick KN6KB

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 30, 2011

              Thanks Rick, what you say is logical, however as long as I don’t enter my registration number the program operates as it should.  Entering the registration number, either on the nag screen or on the designated place, the program closes out and when it restarts the port is not available and the TNC is not displayed.  BTW, I have looked for a second instance of the TNC and nothing is indicated.  I am using 0.6.3.0 without entering the registration number and it is working great.

              Ray KB0E

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 30, 2011
                Ray, You have just described the exact problem that I just had. I send the Attachment of the error to Rick.

                I was using  v.0.6.3.0 and all was well. I got the same message that I was registered. Then the error sign with port 8510. It will NOT play even after a complete reboot of the system.

                 I know what to do. you have to take out the resistration code in the .ini file and it will run as normal.

                It is the registration process that is locking it up. Mabe Rick will read our comments.

                Owen  KB5XE Albuquerque, NM   icstars@...

                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 30, 2011

                  Rick,

                  I believe you.  I just reported what was told to me!

                  Kirk, K6KAR

[...]

                • Ian Wade G3NRW
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 1, 2011
                    From: Rick Muething <rmuething@...>
                    Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 Time: 13:13:25

                    >Ray,
                    >When it says the Port is blocked it is most usually that you have
                    >another instance of the TNC running. If they are setup to use the same
                    >port (e.g. They were launched with the same port code) there will be a
                    >conflict. Normally the V4 Chat takes full control of starting, checking
                    >for existing instances and shutting down the V4 TNC. but if you
                    >attempt or somehow start a second instance the port will be blocked.
                    >Since this is not happening with most users and I don’t see it here I
                    >suspect it is because you have launched a second instance or not killed
                    >an existing instance. You can use Task manager to check for instances
                    >(usually shown as the V4 TNC process). If you don’t launch the V4
                    >TNC by itself (letting V4Chat do it) you shouldn’t have the problem.

                    Rick

                    I too have seen this problem three or four times over recent releases.
                    After I realized what was happening, I have been very careful not to
                    launch the program more than once at a time, but an extra TNC process
                    seems to appear sometimes all by itself. Killing it with Task Manager as
                    you describe has always fixed the problem.

                    Running Windows XP + SP3 etc.

                    Ian, G3NRW
                  • Stan Kozlowitz
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 1, 2011
                      It is also logical for PROGRAM to release the port when it closes.

                      Stan Kozlowitz
                      aa5xo@...
                      aa5xo@...
                      NNN0YSD@...

                      304-880-5110

                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 1, 2011
                        My V4 Chat auto registered this afternoon with the following start-up message:

                        *** Startup of V4Chat Ver 0.6.3.0 ; Auto Update Enabled using HTTP port 8776
                        *** Failure to open Command Port 8510 to V4 TNC.
                        Check and make sure port is unused.
                        *** Failure to open Open V4 TNC.

                        As it was working perfectly before the auto registration I tried going back to yesterdays 'old' .exe and .ini files with the same result.

                        I did a system restore to yesterday to get V4 to work correctly again.

                        Another point - the registration window says that a backup file has been saved to V4 TNC.ini.G3JFS. I searched the V4 files and my hard drive but cannot find this file or the registration key(which I did write down).

                        I launch V4 from a desk top shortcut and have never ever had a problem running it before the auto update kicked in. My Task Manager shows only one instance of V4 running.

                        My computer is a dual core Pentium with Windows XP Media Centre Edition SP3.

                        73 Peter G3JFS

                        > >When it says the Port is blocked it is most usually that you have
                        > >another instance of the TNC running. If they are setup to use the same
                        > >port (e.g. They were launched with the same port code) there will be a
                        > >conflict. Normally the V4 Chat takes full control of starting, checking
                        > >for existing instances and shutting down the V4 TNC. but if you
                        > >attempt or somehow start a second instance the port will be blocked.
                        > >Since this is not happening with most users and I don’t see it here I
                        > >suspect it is because you have launched a second instance or not killed
                        > >an existing instance. You can use Task manager to check for instances
                        > >(usually shown as the V4 TNC process). If you don’t launch the V4
                        > >TNC by itself (letting V4Chat do it) you shouldn’t have the problem.
                        > >

                        > Rick
                        >
                        > I too have seen this problem three or four times over recent releases.
                        > After I realized what was happening, I have been very careful not to
                        > launch the program more than once at a time, but an extra TNC process
                        > seems to appear sometimes all by itself. Killing it with Task Manager as
                        > you describe has always fixed the problem.
                        >
                        > Running Windows XP + SP3 etc.
                        >
                        > --
                        > 73
                        > Ian, G3NRW

                      • John Wiseman
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 2, 2011

                          I am sure there is a problem with the Auto Registration process, at least on my machine running Windows 7 Starter, with Outlook as email client.

                          What I did was:

                          Start V4TNC with a V4TNC.ini file not containing Registration= or Registration Email Sent= lines. Registration popup appeared. I entered my registration code, and the Auto Registration Thank you box appears. I closed the box, and the TNC also closed. The backup file wasn’t created, and as far as I can see, no email was sent. There were no errors in the Exceptions log, and the Debug log contained:

                          2011/10/02 10:44:00.55 [0.6.3.0] New ARQ State : IRSWaitLeader

                          2011/10/02 10:44:00.57 [0.6.3.0] ClearSession 4

                          2011/10/02 10:44:01.94 [0.6.3.0] [StartCodec] Setting SelectedPlaybackDevice = Speakers (7- USB Audio CODEC )-e6

                          2011/10/02 10:44:02.83 [0.6.3.0] [StartCodec] Successful start of codec

                          2011/10/02 10:44:02.87 [0.6.3.0] ClearSession 4

                          2011/10/02 10:44:32.33 [0.6.3.0] [StopCodec] Stop thrNotify with blnSCCapturing = False

                          2011/10/02 10:44:33.35 [0.6.3.0] [StopCodec] blnInWaitThread = False, thrNotify ended.

                          2011/10/02 10:44:33.61 [0.6.3.0] [StopCodec] = True

                          I checked the .ini file, and the Registration= line was now present. Restarting the TNC give the “Email will be sent” popup. The TNC window did not appear, but the log indicated it had started. Again the TNC closed when I closed the popup.

                          2011/10/02 10:44:58.63 [0.6.3.0] New ARQ State : IRSWaitLeader

                          2011/10/02 10:44:58.68 [0.6.3.0] ClearSession 4

                          2011/10/02 10:45:07.05 [0.6.3.0] [StopCodec] Stop thrNotify with blnSCCapturing = False

                          2011/10/02 10:45:08.06 [0.6.3.0] [StopCodec] blnInWaitThread = False, thrNotify ended.

                          2011/10/02 10:45:08.42 [0.6.3.0] [StopCodec] = True

                          This repeated every time I tried to start the TNC, until I manually added a Registration Email Sent= line to the .ini file. Then the TNC started normally.

                          If I didn’t enter my registration key, the TNC would run unregistered.

                          So, to sum up, the TNC seems to work if the registration lines are missing from the V4TNC.ini file, so long as I don’t try to register.

                          If I have the Registration= line, but not the  Registration Email Sent= line, the TNC will always close when I close the “email will be sent” popup.

                          73,

                          John G8BPQ

                        • Peter
                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 2, 2011
                            Hi all,

                            Today I installed V4 Chat 0.6.3.0 on an old computer running XP SP3. On entering my registration key the registration process was carried out, the program ran as it should and the appropriate entries appeared in the .ini files. A minor problem was that the e-mail did not get sent because it wanted to use Outlook Express which is not set up on my computer.

                            Because this 'clean' installation of 0.6.3.0 worked perfectly on entering the Reg key it seems to me that something in the V4 program files on my shack computer has been upset during the course of installing the many updates since I started using the program.

                            Peter, G3JFS