Version 0.6.3.0 Filter

  • Harry
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 29, 2011

      Everything works very well except for the Filter. When clicking on the filter the waterfall does not shrink to 200 Hz. I recall it working several versions ago. That feature is very helpful.

      A contact today with NY3J confirmed that the Filter does not work at is location.

      Thanks for the great work on V4

      Harry W9IB
    • David Bastress
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 29, 2011
        Harry,

        According to Rick the filter does work but you just don't see any difference on the water fall.  He did that so that you can still see the stations around you even with the filter on.

        Dave K3GAU

        >>> "Harry" <w9ib73@...> 9/29/2011 3:58 PM >>>

        Rick

        Everything works very well except for the Filter. When clicking on the filter the waterfall does not shrink to 200 Hz. I recall it working several versions ago. That feature is very helpful.

        A contact today with NY3J confirmed that the Filter does not work at is location.

        Thanks for the great work on V4

        Harry W9IB

      • Siegfried Jackstien
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 29, 2011
          Filter for receive still works but the waterfall is taken before the filter
          to have a wider view for stations on neighbour channel
          Dg9bfc
          Sigi

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 29, 2011
            According to Rick, the filter IS working. Waterfall changed to showing PRE filter, so you still can see stations on both sides. If I got that right. 73 Finn/LA7UM

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 29, 2011
              Guys....PLEASE may I suggest we take just 30 seconds to LOOK into the help before:
                  a) Asking a question
                  b) Answering a question your not sure of

              E.g.  On V4Chat With three clicks: Files, Help Contents,  V4 Virtual TNC  I get a page that describes virtually EVERYTHING displayed on the V4 TNC form.
              Scrolling down to the Filter IN/Out description I see:

              The Filter In/Out menu item will enable/disable the internal 400 Hz BW filter (centered on 1500 Hz). When IN this filter may improved decoding in high noise or QRM conditions. When IN the V4 signal should be within +/-100 Hz of the nominal tuning. The Filter does NOT affect the waterfall display allowing you to see adjacent V4 activity and allows the "click-to-tune" capability of the waterfall.

              This is a lot faster (and usually more accurate) than posting a question, waiting for replies, (which may or may not be accurate!).  If it isn’t covered in the help and it is a legitimate question then ask and suggest I add a help topic or explanation.  Or suggest an improved method of navigating to the topic. Remember with virtually EVERY update of the code the Help is updated to reflect any changes.  The filter operation is an example of that because it was changed to allow “click to tune” (“click to tune” wouldn’t work well if the filter cut off all the signals in the receiver pass band).

              In addition to the Help Topics there is a Help index of key words in both the V4TNC and V4Chat help files.  Those key words will get you to the help page with the description of the key word.

              Rick KN6KB

              --- In mailto:V4Protocol%40yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <w9ib73@...> wrote:

              > Rick

              Everything works very well except for the Filter. When clicking on the filter the waterfall does not shrink to 200 Hz. I recall it working several versions ago. That feature is very helpful.

              > A contact today with NY3J
              confirmed that the Filter does not work at is location.

              > Thanks
              for the great work on V4

              > Harry W9IB

            • Peter Zingsheim
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 29, 2011
                Quoted from the Help files
                "
                V4 Virtual TNC Display
                Menue bar:
                The Filter In/Out menu item will enable/disable the internal 400 Hz BW filter (centered on 1500 Hz). When IN this filter may improved decoding in high noise or QRM conditions. When IN the V4 signal should be within +/-100 Hz of the nominal tuning. The Filter does NOT affect the waterfall display allowing you to see adjacent V4 activity and allows the "click-to-tune" capability of the waterfall."
                "
                73, Peter

                --- In V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com, "la7um" <la7um@...> wrote:

                > According to Rick, the filter IS working. Waterfall changed to showing PRE filter, so you still can see stations on both sides. If I got that right. 73 Finn/LA7UM
                >
                > --- In V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <w9ib73@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Rick
                > >
                > > Everything works very well except for the Filter. When clicking on the filter the waterfall does not shrink to 200 Hz. I recall it working several versions ago. That feature is very helpful.
                > >
                > > A contact today with NY3J confirmed that the Filter does not work at is location.
                > >
                > > Thanks for the great work on V4
                > >
                > > Harry W9IB

              • Peter Zingsheim
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 29, 2011
                  sri for bw & duplicate within 3 mins. 73, Peter

                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 29, 2011
                    Ok. Seems that ALL the helpers DID get it right. And some of us have even read part of the help info, hi, though not quoting it. SW works WELL!! Right?? 73. Finn/LA7UM