Calling CQ

  • Ian Wade G3NRW
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 23, 2011
      Follow me on http://hamspots.net/arq/

      Ian, G3NRW
    • kj5xftl
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 29, 2011
        Folks,
        I have been calling Cq (V4chat) for almost 40 mins now...
        I will continue for another 30 mins or so.
        Current time: 20:38 UTC

        73,
        Tony L. (KJ5XF)
      • Ian Wade G3NRW
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 29, 2011
          From: kj5xftl <kj5xftl@...>
          Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 Time: 20:38:49

          >Folks,
          >I have been calling Cq (V4chat) for almost 40 mins now...
          >I will continue for another 30 mins or so.
          >Current time: 20:38 UTC
          >
          >73,
          >Tony L. (KJ5XF)

          C'mon, Tony, give us a clue! *Where* are you calling CQ?

          Ian, G3NRW
        • Tomas Hood
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 29, 2011
            Yeah, it would so help if folks would post the frequency on which they
            are calling.

            I've so far not been impressed with this mode. Not so much in the
            lack of users, but, when I do hear users, they seem to be too weak for
            this mode to work properly. Under the same conditions, other modes
            work much better. Unless something is wrong with my installation, I
            think this mode requires PERFECT conditions, and s-9 signals.

            --
            Tomas David Hood (Amateur Radio, NW7US)
            <http://NW7US.us/>

            Contributing editor, Propagation Column:
             CQ Magazine, CQ VHF, Popular Communications

            Space Weather: <http://sunspotwatch.com/>

            Twitter Space WX : @hfradiospacewx
            Twitter NW7US : @NW7US
            Twitter my music: @TomasMusic

            Linux User #32405 - Since 1996

            The information contained in this communication is confidential,
            proprietary, and intended for the addressee(s).  If you are not the
            intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
            dissemination, distribution or copying of the communication, or
            unauthorized use is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended
            recipient, please delete this message and DO NOT ACT UPON, FORWARD,
            COPY, OR OTHERWISE DISSEMINATE IT OR ITS CONTENT
          • siegfried jackstien
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 29, 2011
              No ... i made stable contacts with s0 (with preamp on!!) ... signal barely
              noticeable
              Starting a link when condx are low is a bit difficult ... but when the link
              is alive then it is stable as uhf packet (almost)
              Dg9bfc
              Sigi

              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 29, 2011
                In my experience, so far, I have had QSOs start (link established), only to fail after fades occur.  I could see the signal on the waterfall, but the modem would not stay connected.  I'm using the software as installed "out of the box" -- I have only decreased the squelch, trying to see if that would help.  But, so far, this has been rather disappointing.  No other mode (Olivia, MT63, MFSK, PSK31, Contestia...) is this touchy.

                I've had ONE and only one qso that worked start to end without issue - and the signal was strong with little fading.

                Not sure what it is.  Perhaps there's something in my settings??  I don't know what to change.

              • Peter Zingsheim
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 30, 2011
                  Hi,

                  I second Sigi, I had stable qsos even when waterfall was barely visible, S/N negative, only once lost a connect and that was presumably an operator error or insufficient setup at the other end.

                  Many thanks to Rick, who made this possible!

                  I do not think the mode or the protocol or the sw are flawed! No, not in my hands.

                  I do think, however, V4Chat is limited by insufficient operational conventions. It is still a very young mode.

                  Imho, there should be ***one single public list of calling frequencies, including continental variants, if necessary, and alternative frequ, if channel is occupied by a qso.***

                  After all, this is a qso mode, not a mailbox mode, and it will only fly, if more than one freq per band can be accessed. Therefore I suggested a simple button on the software to allow frequ. (or rather channel) hopping in fixed steps compatible with the bw of this mode. In the course of a running qso, qsy can be arranged freely.

                  I do not think that the message area of this group is a good place to arrange skeds. unless a special facility can be set up using the resource provided by Yahoo (calendar?), I think one of the sites mentioned a while ago will doe, and some links in this group could give directions to users, maybe dedicated to regional or transcontinental needs. Messages should be dedicated to ongoing technical development.

                  Food for thought?

                  73, and best wishes for a Happy New Year,
                  Peter

                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 30, 2011
                    I don't argue with anyone that the mode is working for them.  But, I cannot figure out why it is not working well, for me.  Given the same band, same conditions, same radio, same sound card, same antenna, same computer, etc., I can QSO with other modes than V4Chat.  So, what am I doing incorrectly?  Perhaps I don't have things set correctly.  I need to find someone with which to trouble shoot.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 30, 2011
                      What is the timer setting in the modem ???
                      If you have longer fading times (depends on condition) then it is ok to make
                      the time a bit longer (to stay connected in a fade-out phase)
                      It does not hurt to make it longer cause that timer is only active if condx
                      are bad ... and if the other station is really gone or condx are gone down
                      absolutely then also the longer timer will count down to zero and cut the
                      link
                      Dg9bfc
                      Sigi

                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 30, 2011
                        That is why i asked patrick for adding that mode in his soft
                        More user would know that this mode exist (cause updating their beloved
                        soft) ... and it would be frequency-agile like all the other modes in
                        multipsk ... now add rs id and call id and its done
                        Dg9bfc
                        sigi

                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 30, 2011
                          OK, thank you - I will change my timer setting.  Are there any other settings that would help it to decode?  Many times with the fading and weaker signal, it just retries and retries.  How can that be improved upon?

                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 30, 2011
                            Myabe you "underdrive" your soundcard ???
                            How is the signal level??
                            Dg9bfc
                            Sigi

                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 30, 2011
                              Peter,

                              I agree with you and that is one of the reasons for this forum and reflector.  I have spend many hours (probably over a man year of effort) on V4 and V4Chat and am continually trying to improve it by performance tweaks and asked for features.   I check and verify the sensitivity and robustness of every release on a hardware HF channel simulator on a very poor channel (Multipath poor at –5dB S/N) ... the worst CCIR channel the HF simulator models. Most of the problems people have can be traced to some rather common ones mentioned in the Help files:
                                  RF Feedback to the audio (check the help for suggestions)
                                  Improper PTT keying or timing (latency measured and reported on each CQ or Station call)
                                  Improper Audio drive (Drive to approx 70% of rated PEP output)
                                  Improper Receive audio level (should be in the green preferably about mid scale).
                                  Tuning is automatic within the set tuning range (default +/- 100 Hz)
                                  Not understanding the concept and proper operation of ARQ modes (described in the Help)

                              I would be more than happy putting a set of recommend frequencies in the help if we can agree on them.  I think using the reflector is a good start for that.

                              Rick Muething, KN6KB

                            • Tomas Hood

                                Message 15 of 16 , Dec 30, 2011
                                  Tomas,

                                  If you are monitoring an ARQ QSO you will likely not get all the QSO since you cannot request a repeat while monitoring as the connected station can.  The V4 Software should filter out repeats (so they don’t duplicate on the printing) but when monitoring it depends on how good the signal is as to whether it will capture and tune and how many errors are present.

                                  You should be close to the frequency ...the monitored signal should be near the center of the waterfall. Make sure the V4 TNC’s  internal filter is IN (see the help) and it may help to use a narrow (200 Hz or greater) filter on receive if you have one (centered on the signal).  Your AGC should be fast to medium and the signal level on the V4 TNC receive level indicator should be “in the green”.

                                  The received signal offset should be fairly close as measured by the freq offset on the TNC ...definitively must be < the tuning range you have selected. Note of course when monitoring you must be able to auto tune to BOTH stations of the QSO.

                                  Also note you have some control over the leader detection threshold...that is the DSP logic that detects and tunes the two tone leader signal at the start of every frame.  Setting the squelch to values of 3 or 4 will make it more sensitive but also occasionally “trip” on noise. See the help re the Squelch setting.