Change in latency measurement in v 5.2?

  • captcurt@flash.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 4, 2011
      GM All:

      I just noticed that when I switched to v 5.2 and 5.2.2, that my measured T/R Latency displayed has dropped 70 mS. Same rig, same interface, same everything. Did the measurement method change or was some other software change making it do this? Just curious..all works just fine. Previous latency was running 90-110. Now showing 20 35 most cases.

      TR-7, Hard PTT via RS-232 on XP pro, Intel P4 3.0GHz

      Thanks

      Curt
      KU8L
    • Fred G -w1wyc
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 4, 2011
        Curt,

        I had the same thing but I had several programs up in the task bar. When I got rid of these my latency dropped from around 250ms to approx. 65ms.
        Certainly made a difference. Windows Task Manager tells all. I look at the Performance window to see the CPU usage.

        Fred, W1WYC

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 4, 2011
          Hi all,
          Quick report - Had a great contact with AE6LA - Ken, last night about 13:51
          to 14:21 UTC on 7073.
          Not much signal, but fine copy, repeats only when sig fading.

          Working very well.

          Monitoring 14073 around 05:00 UTC, and 7073 around 14:00 UTC.
          My system is left running most of the day/evening on ARQ, so stations can
          get a connect even if Im not at the radio.

          Cheers

          Paul Whitaker.
          VK3DPW
        • SV1UY
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 5, 2011
            Same at this end Curt,

            I guess it was a bug in the V4CHAT TNC and Rick fixed it. I use a QuadCore PC here and I had latency of 250 mS before v5.2.2. The same was happening with WINMOR TNC and was corrected the same time.

            Now with the new version I have a latency of 20-30 mS most of the time. I do not know now if I can believe this latency counter in both V4chat and WINMOR.

            Well these are problems that occur when you rely on the PC's soundcard and O/S for the generation of the protocol and not in an external hardware TNC/MODEM/CONTROLLER.
            You get what you pay for!

            73 de Demetre SV1UY