Heard in VK - KO1CB

  • Paul Whitaker
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 2, 2011
      Hi Rick,
      I had my system running on 14.073 between 0100 & 0500z today, while I was
      doing other jobs.
      At 0500z I returned and noticed 4 CQ calls from KO1CB - perfect.
      I tried to call back, but no go. I tried a number of CQ calls, but nothing
      heard.

      A thought - if there was some way to note the time - probably in the CQ'ing
      station's CQ's, it would help in this situation...... ?

      Still havent had any contacts with 0.5.2.0 locally yet, and looking for DX !

      Looking good from all the comments -

      Thanks

      Paul Whitaker.
      VK3DPW
    • Ron Wenig

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 3, 2011

          Hi Paul,

          You can click on "Logs" and open the "Chat" file for the day you are interested in.
          The time is there.

          73,
          Fred, W1WYC

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 3, 2011
            Paul,

            The CQ timing and all log info is ALWAYS logged in UTC under the main log.  I will try and put in the UTC time on the display window...just don’t want to get it too cluttered up.

            Rick

            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 3, 2011
              Hi Paul, b4 I go horizontal today I'll turn my beam to VK and call cq at around 5 Zulu, trying 14073 and 18073 Khz doing it for 30 minutes or so..
              73' Robert V31AE

              --- In V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com, Paul Whitaker <dromana@...> wrote:

              > Hi Rick,
              > I had my system running on 14.073 between 0100 & 0500z today, while I was
              > doing other jobs.
              > At 0500z I returned and noticed 4 CQ calls from KO1CB - perfect.
              > I tried to call back, but no go. I tried a number of CQ calls, but nothing
              > heard.
              >
              > A thought - if there was some way to note the time - probably in the CQ'ing
              > station's CQ's, it would help in this situation...... ?
              >
              > Still havent had any contacts with 0.5.2.0 locally yet, and looking for DX !
              >
              > Looking good from all the comments -
              >
              > Thanks
              >
              > Paul Whitaker.
              > VK3DPW

            • Paul Whitaker
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 3, 2011
                Hi Rick,

                Also, when I got home last night, N0LWF was logged at 8:51 UTC with CQ call.

                Fred, W1WYC - Yes, Like Rick mentioned - and I did look at the LOG file
                and noted the UTC times - and I was definitely not around at that time...

                Ron ny3j - Yes, that would work, but I was thinking of a system that put it
                automatically into the CQ call, from the PC clock. I think Rick is looking
                into it...

                Robert V31AE - Thanks Robert - 5 UTC is in 4.5 hours ( 3pm local time) -
                so Ill try to be here (Its Fathers Day here) - the system will be in ARQ,
                so you can get a link in any case.....Only 14.073 though.

                >Paul,
                >
                >The CQ timing and all log info is ALWAYS logged in UTC under the main
                >log. I will try and put in the UTC time on the display window...just
                >don’t want to get it too cluttered up.
                >
                >Rick

                I also have some good signals coming from the States on 40, so 7073 around
                14:00 UTC - and as I am just getting home from work at that time
                (Midnight), I often have a listen.

                This Z (Zulu) or UTC seems to be giving grief - The same thing.

                '73, and looking for some contacts...

                Paul Whitaker.
                VK3DPW
              • Robert Belize
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 3, 2011
                  Paul. I tried ARQ, it connected to your station, but no flow of data...I don't know why exactly but could be just the long delay between us. My change over time here is 10 or 20 ms max..could be just the long distance. Anyway I also put out some data in fec mode. should be all recorded and in your log files..
                  rst was no reading on the meter but it connected easy...
                  73
                  Robert V31AE

                  --- In V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com, Paul Whitaker <dromana@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Rick,
                  >
                  > Also, when I got home last night, N0LWF was logged at 8:51 UTC with CQ call.
                  >
                  > Fred, W1WYC - Yes, Like Rick mentioned - and I did look at the LOG file
                  > and noted the UTC times - and I was definitely not around at that time...
                  >

                  > Ron ny3j - Yes, that would work, but I was thinking of a system that put it
                  > automatically into the CQ call, from the PC clock. I think Rick is looking
                  > into it...
                  >

                  > Robert V31AE - Thanks Robert - 5 UTC is in 4.5 hours ( 3pm local time) -
                  > so Ill try to be here (Its Fathers Day here) - the system will be in ARQ,
                  > so you can get a link in any case.....Only 14.073 though.
                  >

                  > >Paul,
                  > >
                  > >The CQ timing and all log info is ALWAYS logged in UTC under the main
                  > >log. I will try and put in the UTC time on the display window...just
                  > >don’t want to get it too cluttered up.
                  > >
                  > >Rick
                  >

                  > I also have some good signals coming from the States on 40, so 7073 around
                  > 14:00 UTC - and as I am just getting home from work at that time
                  > (Midnight), I often have a listen.
                  >
                  > This Z (Zulu) or UTC seems to be giving grief - The same thing.
                  >
                  > '73, and looking for some contacts...
                  >
                  > Paul Whitaker.
                  > VK3DPW

                • Paul Whitaker
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 4, 2011
                    Hi Robert,
                    Yes, all copied the connects, and FEC data. Its all on my screen.
                    Unfortunately, I got home later than I expected, and my Radio/Computer got
                    to have all the fun !
                    Sounds excellent with the low sig strengths, so looking forward to seeing
                    it happen !
                    I will have a look around later tonight on 7073, and again on 14073
                    tomorrow at 0500 approx UTC.

                    And to Ian VK3YEA, county to what has been said elsewhere, this group talks
                    in DIAL frequencies.

                    Thanks all,

                    Paul Whitaker.
                    VK3DPW

                    At 03:58 PM 04/09/2011, you wrote:

                    >Paul. I tried ARQ, it connected to your station, but no flow of data...I
                    >don't know why exactly but could be just the long delay between us. My
                    >change over time here is 10 or 20 ms max..could be just the long distance.
                    >Anyway I also put out some data in fec mode. should be all recorded and in
                    >your log files..
                    >rst was no reading on the meter but it connected easy...
                    >73
                    >Robert V31AE
                  • Ian Branch
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 4, 2011

                      Listened on 14073 from 0500 to 0530 UTC and heard nothing.  Sigh.

                      Ian

                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 5, 2011
                        Paul/All,

                        There is no additional room in the CQ or Connect request for things like Date/time.  The frame just now correctly contains both compressed call signs (including – ssid).  Plus I don’t see any advantage of sending the date/time with the CQ. Any station receiving the CQ or Call already has the UTC time (from the PC Clock adjusted for UTC) and can simply log the time of the decoded CQ or Call sign. In fact as I mentioned this is already done in the log file. Every item on the session screen is logged to the main V4Chat log with the UTC Time/date.  I will look into displaying the decode time of the CQ or Call on the session window for convenience. Right now I am trying to get the damn Autoupdate to work correctly!

                        Rick KN6KB

                        Sent: Saturday, September 03, 2011 10:24 PM
                        Subject: Re: [V4Protocol] Heard in VK - KO1CB