QSO - W8OZY

  • ka1gmn
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 28 10:57 AM
      I just had what I consider my first real ragchew session via V4 Chat with W8OZY. QSB was present, but we were able to have a good 15 minute QSO without time-outs.

      The protocol is coming along great Rick. Thanks for your hard work.

      Operating Conditions:

      V4 Chat - v 0.5.2.2

      PowerSDR - v2.1.5

      Flex 5000A - configured as per directions in V4 chat help file.

      Windows 7 Ultimate - no page file, and many services shut down.

      phil de ka1gmn
    • Ed Woods WD9DVA

        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 28 11:23 AM
          The typical hangout on 20 meters is 14.073, but that frequency get to crowded at times, so I am on 14.074 if you'd like to try a session.

          phil de ka1gmn

          --
          Philw de KA1GMN
        • Yussuf
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 28 1:52 PM
            Most 14073 is full of HELL and even PSK31 tarffic here in EU
            I propose QRG  between 14085...1495, e.g 14094

            --
            73's OH7TE Yufenau

          • Phil Williams
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 28 2:55 PM
              Yufenau,

              I think it would be a good idea if operators find other frequencies besides 14.073.  Announcing your operating frequency is key.

              I would like to propose announcements made at http://hamspots.net/

              phil de ka1gmn

              On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 3:52 PM, Yussuf <yufenau@...> wrote:

              Most 14073 is full of HELL and even PSK31 tarffic here in EU
              I propose QRG  between 14085...1495, e.g 14094

              --
              73's OH7TE Yufenau

              --
              Philw de KA1GMN
            • ei5ds
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 29 5:36 AM
                Hi Yufenau,

                I suugest we stay on 14073. You need a 'watering hole' for the mode.

                You can always QSY to another QRG if you have QRM.

                In my QTH (Dublin, Ireland) 14073 is quiet for most of the day.

                Occasional Hell activity, but only for short periods.

                Look forward to another QSO soon.

                73's de Ned/EI5DS

                --- In V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com, Yussuf <yufenau@...> wrote:

                > Most 14073 is full of HELL and even PSK31 tarffic here in EU
                > I propose QRG between 14085...1495, e.g 14094
                >
                > --
                > 73's OH7TE Yufenau

              • Fred Bourne
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 1, 2011

                  Hi All.

                  I think we will have to really think about the 14.073 frequency.

                  I just looked at 14.075 and that has Hell, so where?

                  All I have heard all night is Hell and MFSK. V4 not a chance

                  Cheers Fred G3YJQ.

                • Robert Belize
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 2, 2011
                    It is very easy and up to the v4chat client creator, to include the calling qrg's for each band.
                    This is my opinion....What is yours?
                    Robert V31AE

                  • wb0kgn@q.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 2, 2011
                      Those using a number of digital modes snuggle up close to the 14.070 psk31 frequency.  Part of that strategy is hoping that they can pull psk31 stations to their preferred mode.  For a new mode like V4chat with its yahoo chat group  this strategy is not necessary.  I would suggest moving above the WSJT favored frequency of 14.073 to about 14.075.   When there is rare dx and during contests, the rtty region of the band is quite busy.  But most of the time it is not.

                      Dave wb0kgn

                      It is very easy and up to the v4chat client creator, to include the calling qrg's for each band.
                      This is my opinion....What is yours?
                      Robert V31AE

                      --- In V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Bourne" <g3yjq@...> wrote:

                      > Hi All.
                      >
                      > I think we will have to really think about the 14.073 frequency.
                      >
                      > I just looked at 14.075 and that has Hell, so where?
                      >
                      > All I have heard all night is Hell and MFSK. V4 not a chance
                      >
                      > Cheers Fred G3YJQ.

                    • John Hirth
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 22, 2011
                        The nominal JT65 dial frequency has traditionally been 14.076, although they have been creeping down a bit lately.

                        There is no reason we can't operate V4Chat at 500 hz increments upward from 14.073. That would at least give us a few more "channels" to spread out to. I've already heard a few stations just above 14.073 when that frequency is busy.

                        Also, V4Chat has some similarities (at least in its intent) to the old Amtor ARQ and FEC. Is there any reason we couldn't TRY the "rtty segment" from 14.078-14.088 dial (about 14.080-090 rtty actual)? Yes, there is rtty there from time to time, but from what I hear in the northeast USA it's not overwhelming, and we should be able to co-exist. I've been a dedicated rtty operator in years past, and I think this might work.

                        With this said, there is a lot to be said for a well published frequency or two. I often leave V4Chat listening on 14.073 while I'm doing other work nearby, and jump to the rig when I hear someone call.

                        Just some food for thought....

                        John W2KI
                        -------------

                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 22, 2011
                          Sorry, all. I didn't realize I was responding to an "old" message with
                          some suggestions for spreading out. For some reason I just got a bunch
                          of older messages in my inbox.

                          All this has been well covered, I now see. See you all on the bands.

                          73 , John W2KI
                        • wb0kgn@q.com
                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 22, 2011
                            Good to hear from a "dedicated rtty operator" thank you John.   Unless there is a contest or a dx station about, the rtty frequencies are not too busy.   We can't all snuggle up to 14.070

                            Dave wb0kgn