Re: [V4Protocol] V4 Chat 0.4.4.0 Posted on Yahoo FTP

  • Ron Wenig
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 6, 2011
      Wow....

      I was monitoring 14.073 and trying to connect to WB2QLL with no success.  As I was trying to connect I was reading my email when I noticed the new release so I updated.  After the update I tried to connect to WB2QLL again and connected instantly and had a very successful QSO, the first one since I've been using ARQ mode.  Rick, great job, I think you've got it :-)

      73, Ron ny3j

      On 8/6/2011 3:19 PM, kn6kb wrote:

      All,

      This is a significant update that should solve some of the observed problems.

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 6, 2011
        Ron,

        Well too early to count the “chickens” yet but it sounds like it is a step in the right direction. The protocol (like all protocols) is tricky in a few areas and one of the testers captured a fairly rare but possible “embrace” where the two stations both got caught in the same place of the state table...NOT GOOD.  The fix (which is in this latest rev) was fairly simple but I think was the cause of a lot of problems where the IRS didn’t complete the switch to ISS.

        Also the fix I put in for the sensitivity is the result of the work on the WINMOR TNC. Though they are different in some respects the initial leader detection and symbol sync are quite similar. (46 baud two tone leader vs a 93 baud two tone leader for WINMOR) It looked to me like it helped probably 3-5 dB on the initial signal acquisition. Unfortunately my HF simulator only goes down to –5 dB S/N (3 KHz noise bandwidth) multi path poor channel but I was still getting about a 75% data frame success rate on that “channel”.  That is a pretty poor signal but we do sometimes see a lot worse.

        Few realize that progress in this HF modem game usually comes in little bytes of 1-2 dB!  ....and the occasional back slide of a few dB!

        73, Thanks for the feedback.

        Rick KN6KB

      • Daniel V. Wolff, Jr.
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 7, 2011

          Impressive software, Rick.  I had numerous successful QSO’s with the new version of V4-Chat today.  There were no problems and the links held solid down into the noise level for some very weak signal contacts.  The link held when I couldn’t even hear a signal from the distant station.  Well done!

          73,

          Daniel V. Wolff, Jr.
          DL4VCW / KA7AGN / AEM1WF (MARS)
          http://www.qsl.net/dl4vcw/

          Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
          Date: Rev Change Summary

          Aug 6, 2011 0.4.4.0 Beta release of 0.4.3.1

          Aug 5, 2011 0.4.3.1 Add Queue Data button (green on right) to mirror Ctrl + CR function
          Add code to pickup call sign from selection in minilog to set target call sign via ARQ Call button
          Remove Ctrl + C option for calling CQ or call sign (too confusing)..just use ARQ Call button
          Add tool tip text to important buttons and text boxes.
          Modify ARQ Call menu to eliminate reference to Ctrl + C
          Update Help

          V4 TNC Revision History

          Date Rev # Summary ofChanges

          Aug 6, 2011 0.4.4.0 Beta release of 0.4.3.2 no function changes to 0.4.3.2

          Aug 6, 2011 0.4.3.2 Make important changes in mechanism of transition to IRS>ISS state. Using blnDataRcvdWhileIRS
          should prevent possible IRS>ISS embrace observed.
          Add Bandpass filtering using BPF1500B in SearchForAMLeader47B2 if filter currently not selected.
          Data filtering and waterfall is still based on Filter setting. This improves sync detect accuracy.
          Modify backcolor and text of Send CW ID to show if FSK CW is being used.
          Update help.

          Aug 4, 2011 0.4.3.1 Make backcolor of latency measurement green if <= 250 ms or red if > 250 ms
          Modify SearchForAMLeader47B to use narrow filter on envelope for symbol framing.
          Fix possible repeat of CW ID using blnSendingCWID
          Add tool tip text