Re: [V4Protocol] Re: V4 QSO's

  • Curt Nixon
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 3, 2011
      GM Sir:

      As you have no doubt seen in the help files and the state diagrams, the
      operator cannot actually change the state from IRS to ISS. THe only
      thing you can do is to move the typed text from the input window to the
      rich-text action window by using CTRL +CR(ENTER). Once that is done, it
      is then up to the ISS station to complete sending its Queue and when
      that happens, your waiting QUEUE will signal the ISS for a transfer.
      Without solid ACK/NAK and Synch of frames, etc, the transfer will not
      take place. From what I have seen so far, it all works like a charm as
      long as the link quality is high enough.

      While the documentation indicates that FEC mode is less robust than ARQ,
      it is referring, I think to the ability to transfer a file w/o errors.
      If you can copy FEC frames, the brain is great at filling in blanks.

      In order for ARQ to work, the link must stay solid over a greater period
      of time to ensure the the transfer and ACK of all the frames in the
      Queue , transfers, etc before it times out. QSB, QRN, QRM, etc APPEAR to
      disrupt ARQ more than FEC but it is the same. Its just that ARQ is ALL
      PERFECT exchanges or nothing (TIMEOUT)

      Cheers

      Curt
      KU8L

      George Murphy wrote:

      > Bob (G3WKW),
      > In the attached memo, I meant to say ".....how to switch from the
      > "Information Receiving Station (IRS) to Information Sending Station
      > (ISS) state/mode." The V4 Chat's "Help file" has been very useful in
      > my attempt to better understand the internals and how to proper
      > operate this new digital mode.
      > - George Murphy (K3RQ) sends...
      > #NNNN

    • Bob Thornton
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 3, 2011
        Yes, you can't make it change IRS>ISS but you can certainly stop it by not having any data to send. Rick has said several times that it is called V4 Chat for a reason! You need to have something in the buffer ready for when the other guy runs out of things to say. No need to wait to become ISS before you start typing a response. I don't believe your outgoing buffer size is updated until you become the ISS. I guess that is because the buffer size is shown on the TNC panel and perhaps the text is held in the Chat program until you become ISS.

        We had been connected for several minutes with a lot of IDLE being sent. I had sent an extra BTU and KK to keep the link from timing out then I sent "CTRL+ENTER" and George responded. But then I think propagation probably got the better of us. Now I know it was George's first ARQ QSO I feel better about the program's reliability.

        Bob

        G3WKW

        --- In V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com, Curt Nixon <captcurt@...> wrote:

        > GM Sir:
        >
        > As you have no doubt seen in the help files and the state diagrams, the
        > operator cannot actually change the state from IRS to ISS. THe only
        > thing you can do is to move the typed text from the input window to the
        > rich-text action window by using CTRL +CR(ENTER). Once that is done, it
        > is then up to the ISS station to complete sending its Queue and when
        > that happens, your waiting QUEUE will signal the ISS for a transfer.
        > Without solid ACK/NAK and Synch of frames, etc, the transfer will not
        > take place. From what I have seen so far, it all works like a charm as
        > long as the link quality is high enough.
        >
        > While the documentation indicates that FEC mode is less robust than ARQ,
        > it is referring, I think to the ability to transfer a file w/o errors.
        > If you can copy FEC frames, the brain is great at filling in blanks.
        >
        > In order for ARQ to work, the link must stay solid over a greater period
        > of time to ensure the the transfer and ACK of all the frames in the
        > Queue , transfers, etc before it times out. QSB, QRN, QRM, etc APPEAR to
        > disrupt ARQ more than FEC but it is the same. Its just that ARQ is ALL
        > PERFECT exchanges or nothing (TIMEOUT)
        >
        > Cheers
        >
        > Curt
        > KU8L
        >
        > George Murphy wrote:
        > >
        > > Bob (G3WKW),
        > > In the attached memo, I meant to say ".....how to switch from the
        > > "Information Receiving Station (IRS) to Information Sending Station
        > > (ISS) state/mode." The V4 Chat's "Help file" has been very useful in
        > > my attempt to better understand the internals and how to proper
        > > operate this new digital mode.
        > > - George Murphy (K3RQ) sends...
        > > #NNNN

      • Curt Nixon
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 3, 2011
          Hi Bob:

          Yes..that is what I observed regarding the OB Queue..it seems it doesn't
          update the OB Queue until you become the ISS even though there may be
          test there in Chat waiting to go.

          I also had the CTRL +CR problem for a while when I started..its right
          there in the doc's but it isn't intuitive for a old fart like me!

          Cheers and keep having fun. Perhaps condx will improve soon and we can
          do some transatlantic chat.

          CUL

          73

          Curt
          KU8L

          Bob Thornton wrote:

          > Yes, you can't make it change IRS>ISS but you can certainly stop it by
          > not having any data to send. Rick has said several times that it is
          > called V4 Chat for a reason! You need to have something in the buffer
          > ready for when the other guy runs out of things to say. No need to
          > wait to become ISS before you start typing a response. I don't believe
          > your outgoing buffer size is updated until you become the ISS. I guess
          > that is because the buffer size is shown on the TNC panel and perhaps
          > the text is held in the Chat program until you become ISS.
          >
          > We had been connected for several minutes with a lot of IDLE being
          > sent. I had sent an extra BTU and KK to keep the link from timing out
          > then I sent "CTRL+ENTER" and George responded. But then I think
          > propagation probably got the better of us. Now I know it was George's
          > first ARQ QSO I feel better about the program's reliability.
          >
          > Bob
          >
          > G3WKW
          >
          > --- In V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com
          > <mailto:V4Protocol%40yahoogroups.com>, Curt Nixon <captcurt@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > GM Sir:
          > >
          > > As you have no doubt seen in the help files and the state diagrams, the
          > > operator cannot actually change the state from IRS to ISS. THe only
          > > thing you can do is to move the typed text from the input window to the
          > > rich-text action window by using CTRL +CR(ENTER). Once that is done, it
          > > is then up to the ISS station to complete sending its Queue and when
          > > that happens, your waiting QUEUE will signal the ISS for a transfer.
          > > Without solid ACK/NAK and Synch of frames, etc, the transfer will not
          > > take place. From what I have seen so far, it all works like a charm as
          > > long as the link quality is high enough.
          > >
          > > While the documentation indicates that FEC mode is less robust than
          > ARQ,
          > > it is referring, I think to the ability to transfer a file w/o errors.
          > > If you can copy FEC frames, the brain is great at filling in blanks.
          > >
          > > In order for ARQ to work, the link must stay solid over a greater
          > period
          > > of time to ensure the the transfer and ACK of all the frames in the
          > > Queue , transfers, etc before it times out. QSB, QRN, QRM, etc
          > APPEAR to
          > > disrupt ARQ more than FEC but it is the same. Its just that ARQ is ALL
          > > PERFECT exchanges or nothing (TIMEOUT)
          > >
          > > Cheers
          > >
          > > Curt
          > > KU8L
          > >
          > > George Murphy wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Bob (G3WKW),
          > > > In the attached memo, I meant to say ".....how to switch from the
          > > > "Information Receiving Station (IRS) to Information Sending Station
          > > > (ISS) state/mode." The V4 Chat's "Help file" has been very useful in
          > > > my attempt to better understand the internals and how to proper
          > > > operate this new digital mode.
          > > > - George Murphy (K3RQ) sends...
          > > > #NNNN

        • George Murphy
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 3, 2011
            Curt (KU8L):

            Thanks for your attached feedback explaining how the ISS and ISR "switch-over/handshaking" function is executed in the V4 Chat ARQ Mode.  I am hoping to make a few additional contacts this evening using V4 Chat's ARQ Mode to ensure that I've properly learned how to use both the V4 Chat FEC and ARQ Modes.  Look for me on 14073 KHz around 2230z later this evening (8/3).

            Cheers for now and thanks for the feedback.  I'm sure your corrective technical V4 Chat User-based comments are appreciated by the entire worldwide community of Hams interested in learning more about the present and emerging digital communication modes.

            73,
            George Murphy, K3RQ

            George Murphy wrote:

            > Bob (G3WKW),
            > In the attached memo, I meant to say ".....how to switch from the
            > "Information Receiving Station (IRS) to Information Sending Station
            > (ISS) state/mode." The V4 Chat's "Help file" has been very useful in
            > my attempt to better understand the internals and how to proper
            > operate this new digital mode.
            > - George Murphy (K3RQ) sends...
            > #NNNN

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:

          • Paul Whitaker
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 5, 2011
              Hi all,
              I am looking for some contacts on 40 mtr.
              Like 20 mtr has 14073, is there a frequency to sit on for contacts on 40,
              and 80 for that matter ?
              Getting some very good openings on 40 early in the morning Melbourne time -
              so good chance Ill hear someone.

              Thanks

              Paul Whitaker.
              VK3DPW
            • Ed Woods WD9DVA
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 5, 2011
                7073 is very good late afternoon into early evening. 73 Ed WD9DVA
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 5, 2011
                  Hi Paul:

                  I usually monitor 7073. It sometimes get QRMafter 0000Z with SSB but can
                  also QSY just above the JT65 Guys at 7076

                  Seems I have seen 3573 mentioned also but not sure on that one.

                  Give me a Zulu time frame and I can listen for you.

                  I also use the K3UK digital sked page mentioned earlier here to
                  establish QSY etc.

                  Cheers

                  Curt
                  KU8L

                  Paul Whitaker wrote:

                  > Hi all,
                  > I am looking for some contacts on 40 mtr.
                  > Like 20 mtr has 14073, is there a frequency to sit on for contacts on 40,
                  > and 80 for that matter ?
                  > Getting some very good openings on 40 early in the morning Melbourne
                  > time -
                  > so good chance Ill hear someone.
                  >
                  > Thanks
                  >
                  > Paul Whitaker.
                  > VK3DPW

                • Bob Thornton
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 5, 2011
                    Here is a list I posted back in June when this question was asked, that didn't seem to get too much argument. 7073 is outside our European bandplan though it probably won't stop us responding if we hear a call on a clear channel! WSPR is certainly open on 40mtr between Europe and Australia in our late evenings.

                    Quote from Message 1162:
                    I once(February??) found a page from a US state digital group which had a good list but I lost the link! What I noted down was :

                    Europe
                    3590 7040 10136

                    USA
                    3583 7073 10131

                    Worldwide
                    14073 18085 21073

                    hopefully others will add to this or correct any errors, as it is pure hearsay.

                    Bob

                    G3WKW