Re: [V4Protocol] Pending V4 Chat release 0.4.0.0

  • Yussuf
    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 19, 2011
      Looks good,
      Summer vacation here, 2nd day of 5 weeks!

      I'm located now in KP42en and going soon to Lapland, there in mr. Santa Claus Land I will load v. 4.0.0.0 and be QRV  in loc  KP36cp by solar powered 180 Ah battery.
      I can run 100W to dipole there
      --
      73's OH7TE "Yussi"

      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 19, 2011
        Yussy. I wonder if you'll manage LA3F-5 on WINMOR from Lapland as well.
        That would have been nice on 80m. I remote "see" you running now from KP20IE. You probably need goin 20m to Marc in Holland I presume.
        73. Finn/LA7UM

        --- In V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com, Yussuf <yufenau@...> wrote:

        > Looks good,
        > Summer vacation here, 2nd day of 5 weeks!
        >
        > I'm located now in KP42en and going soon to Lapland, there in mr. Santa
        > Claus Land I will load v. 4.0.0.0 and be QRV in loc KP36cp by solar
        > powered 180 Ah battery.
        > I can run 100W to dipole there
        > --
        > 73's OH7TE "Yussi"

      • jgmags2000
        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 27, 2011
          To all V4 users,
          When the program was in its development stage many users showed much enthusiasm for the program and many helped with suggestions to help Rick(KN6KB)in arriving at the final revision. Now that that has been achieved, the usage has dropped off considerably. With the increase in band openings there should be much more activity. Rick has worked extremely hard to give us V4Chat so.... with the new year upon us lets try to rekindle that enthusiasm we all had at the outset.

          Just my two cents worth.
          73 and happy New year
          John, KJ1J
        • Paul Whitaker
          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 28, 2011
            Hi all,
            Its that time of the year - our summer tourist season - lots to do at the
            Drive-In Theatre.

            I am curious about activity on the bands, so will be leaving my system
            running on 14073 ARQ. Please feel free to connect etc. If Im not home, ill
            see the activity in due course, and report by this medium.

            Hope you all have a great 2012.

            Cheers

            Paul Whitaker.
            VK3DPW

            >To all V4 users,
            >When the program was in its development stage many users showed much
            >enthusiasm for the program and many helped with suggestions to help
            >Rick(KN6KB)in arriving at the final revision. Now that that has been
            >achieved, the usage has dropped off considerably. With the increase in
            >band openings there should be much more activity. Rick has worked
            >extremely hard to give us V4Chat so.... with the new year upon us lets try
            >to rekindle that enthusiasm we all had at the outset.
            >
            >Just my two cents worth.
            >73 and happy New year
            >John, KJ1J
            >
            >__._
          • Dave
            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 28, 2011
              I tested V4 chat and made two contacts.
              I removed the program from my computer because (1) too hard to find users on the air and (2) the program appears to cost $25.
              Other modes are easier to use and make all the contacts I want.

              Dave
              AD2Q

              --- In V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com, "jgmags2000" <jgmags2000@...> wrote:

              > To all V4 users,
              > When the program was in its development stage many users showed much enthusiasm for the program and many helped with suggestions to help Rick(KN6KB)in arriving at the final revision. Now that that has been achieved, the usage has dropped off considerably. With the increase in band openings there should be much more activity. Rick has worked extremely hard to give us V4Chat so.... with the new year upon us lets try to rekindle that enthusiasm we all had at the outset.
              >
              > Just my two cents worth.
              > 73 and happy New year
              > John, KJ1J

            • DC 7 FL Knut
              Message 6 of 25 , Dec 28, 2011
                hallo hallo Dave,
                the appears.... it appears only....

                You can read the answer from secretary@... :
                "As described in the WINMOR TNC help, RMS Express Help, V4 TNC Help and
                V4Chat Help Registration is ALWAYS optional and NEVER required."

                73
                DC7FL
                Knut

                from Dave>
                > I tested V4 chat and made two contacts.
                > I removed the program from my computer because (1) too hard to find
                > users on the air and (2) the program appears to cost $25.
                > Other modes are easier to use and make all the contacts I want.
                >
                > Dave
                > AD2Q
              • Paul Whitaker
                Message 7 of 25 , Dec 28, 2011
                  Hi all,
                  Heard in the last 24 hours in Melbourne Australia -
                  AA1CZ, 28/12/2011, 19:34 UTC
                  W3BI 18:59
                  AA1CZ 18:25
                  K6KAR 18:03

                  My station will respond if you try to connect.

                  Cheers

                  Paul.
                  VK3DPW
                • Rick Johnson
                  Message 8 of 25 , Dec 29, 2011
                    Hi Paul,

                    Which band were you on?  I call from DC to Light bands trying to make a V4 QSO and usually no go.
                    I will put your call in the box and see what happens.

                    HNY & 73,
                    Rick W3BI

                    On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 1:27 AM, Paul Whitaker <dromana@...> wrote:

                    Hi all,
                    Heard in the last 24 hours in Melbourne Australia -
                    AA1CZ, 28/12/2011, 19:34 UTC
                    W3BI 18:59
                    AA1CZ 18:25
                    K6KAR 18:03

                    My station will respond if you try to connect.

                    Cheers

                    Paul.
                    VK3DPW

                  • K6KAR
                    Message 9 of 25 , Dec 29, 2011

                      Paul,

                      Connected to you this morning and left a message.

                      Happy New Year

                      Kirk, K6KAR

                      Message 10 of 25 , Dec 30, 2011
                        Hi all,
                        More stations heard in VK3 in last 24 hours - 14073 -
                        W2KI and K6KAR connected - 14:16 UTC
                        PD9BTB 14:28
                        KJ5XF 20:14

                        And sorry K6KAR - I didnt realise you actually connected to me.....

                        Still listening 14073 V4 ARQ.

                        Ive also had some situations where low signals are not decoding, but other
                        times with excellent copy....
                        Still wondering...
                        I also have great success with Ham Radio Integrator, but V4 has a much
                        nicer interface.

                        Cheers and Happy New Year

                        Paul Whitaker.
                        VK3DPW
                      • Daniel V. Wolff, Jr.
                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 14, 2012

                          The Holidays have passed and I’ve been hoping to find more V4 stations active.  There has been some on-the-air V4 activity but not anywhere near what I might have expected after the Holidays.  Perhaps what we need is a little more publicity.  It would be nice to see the V4 modem included in 3rd party programs, such as FLDigi, MultiPSK, and others.  At the same time, it would be nice to see an annual on-the-air event (i.e. V4 QSO party, V4 Roundup, etc.) to promote this mode.

                          Just my open thoughts on the subject.  Even our V4-Chat Yahoo group has been rather quite.

                          73,

                          Daniel V. Wolff, Jr.
                          DL4VCW / KA7AGN / AEM1WF (MARS)
                          http://www.qsl.net/dl4vcw/

                          Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
                          Caveats: NONE

                          - - - - - - - - - - - -

                          V4 CHAT

                          Posted by: "jgmags2000" jgmags2000@...   jgmags2000

                          Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:07 pm (PST)

                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 14, 2012
                            Daniel. I agree. I wonder if V4 could be downloadable outside the yahoo group. Maybe from the Winlink web site. Needs easy distribution I believe. 73 de LA7UM Finn

                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 14, 2012
                              Daniel,

                              I agree with you in it would be nice to see some additional V4 activity.  I will look into also providing a download capability for V4Chat on the WL2K FTP server in addition to the Yahoo server.

                              Some other points and issues:

                              1) I have a lot on my plate at the current time.  The WL2K software needs important updates (RMS Express, RMSTrimode etc) and Vic Poor one of our major programmers is leaving on a year’s sabbatical so the other volunteer programmers have to cover and handle any issues/updates to Vic’s code.  This leaves little time for additional V4 Programming right now.

                              2) The V4 TNC is documented and available to other developers to use. It is fairly easy to integrate (similar to a hardware TNC or the WINMOR virtual TNC). I would be more than happy to provide some limited help to other developers that want to integrate V4 into new or existing client programs. This has been done for WINMOR on a number of “3rd  party” programs with success.  The effort is roughly equivalent to writing a TNC driver.

                              3) I think a V4 contest or “roundup” would be a great idea. The logs (if the ADIF log is enabled) is compatible with most programs that can read ADIF formatted logs and that could make “scoring” the contest easier.  Since grid squares are exchanged automatically on a connection something that encouraged how many grid squares worked might be fun and easy to do.  I think there are plenty on the V4 reflector that could help with this. I can offer only limited time and support.

                              4) I still remain more than willing to provide help with any SERIOUS Linux programmer that wants to port V4 and/or V4Chat to Linux. I will supply the V4  VB.NET 2010 source and it may be possible to convert most of this if someone is familiar with Mono. My only requirements are:
                                 a) This has to be a serious effort...It is probably a few man months...it is not a one-weekend re compile.
                                 b) The resulting product has to be documented and supported. I don’t want any unsupported V4 code out there... (Support means things like Help files, answering questions and fixing bugs).
                                 c) The resulting Linux V4 program needs to be checked and verified that it is compatible with the current Windows V4 version and matches the V4 protocol.
                                 d) This will require the Linux programmer be familiar with things like:  DSP (FFT, wav files, sound cards etc), Real time programming, Multi threading.  I just don’t have the time to run a programming school especially  in Linux. There is a CD of a DSP short course I did for TAPR at the 2010 DCC that some may find good if they have minimal DSP experience. See  the TAPR web site (

                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 14, 2012
                                Thanks Rick. I have privatly helped some hams sending the program privately to them, since non of them are Reflector users. Good to have a URL for this. 73. Finn/LA7UM