RE: [V4Protocol] V4 ARQ QRV now 10136

  • Matt Zilmer
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 4, 2011
      Was calling CQ on ARQ using 0.3.0.0.  TNC is 0.3.0.1.

      Is everyone up to date, or am I running downrev SW?

      Matt Zilmer, W6NIA / NNN0UET / NNN0GAF THREE
      NMCM RMS Winmor: NNU9ET-5: Upland, CA.

      To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com
      From: esack@...
      Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 08:43:28 -0700
      Subject: RE: [V4Protocol] V4 ARQ QRV now 10136

      I’m receiving VE7CRT on 10136.

      73,

      Ed

      W3NRG

      From: ka1gmn@...
      Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 09:16:02 -0500

      Will be on 10136 shortly as soon as I install the latest versin of V4...philw de ka1gmn

      On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 8:41 AM, Ed Woods WD9DVA <wd9dva@...> wrote:

      Matt try 7073 a lot of us started there when the fec program began, Happy 4th Ed WD9DVA

      From: esack@...
      Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 16:47:02 -0700

      Roger.  I tried both but did not see you in either option.

      We are in the process of creating a “radio room” for our local EmComm group on top of this building which will put
      our antennas over 150 feet in the air – the highest point in our City and completely out in the  clear.    At the very least we will
      have both a Winlink RMS and a Winmor access point up there and if the budget works out, a remote controlled
      HF rig which will certainly give me a much better chance of enjoying my favorite digital modes.

      I will continue to watch for VChat stations on 14.073 mh where I do capture a W1 and a W4 from time to time.

      By the way, I did a competitive study of the then active digital modes some years ago (published in the (ARRL and TAPR Digital
      Communications Conference for 2007) and found that three or four of the three dozen modes I tested stood out against
      the rest under the particular evaluation marks I used in the study.    As I recall Domino and Olivia were looking quite competitive
      at that time.

      How do you feel VChat stacks up against modes like CHIPs when bandwidth is an issue and the conditions are lousy (as they
      always are with the antennas I have to use for the moment.)

      73,

      Ed

      W3NRG

      To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com
      From: esack@...
      Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 11:11:05 -0700

      O.K. Hamstick is on the balcony and tuned to 1:1 SWR.   When we say 7,075 on V Chat are we talking LSB?

      Ed

      From: esack@...
      Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 10:39:25 -0700

      Hi Matt,

      My problem is the eternal condo antenna limitations problem.   My antennas “hidden on the balcony” get out better as the
      wavelengths get smaller.

      If I were to try my 40 meter hamstick, what forty meter frequency appeals to you?   7,073?

      73,

      Ed

      W3NRG

      From: esack@...
      Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 07:06:52 -0700

      Hi Matt,

      I’ll be listening on 10136 dial USB this morning.   Have a very poor 30 meter antenna – Hamstick, vertical – but if I see you on the screen I will let you know.

      73,

      Ed

      W3NRG
      Coronado, CA

      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 4, 2011
        I heard responses to my ARQ CQ  but no printing. Just brown gibberish with a line through it.
        On receive frame got V4ARQ CRC Fail on the V4 sound card TNC.
        When switched to FEC got the following: V4FEC CRC Fail on the V4 Sound Card TNC
        Received signals were clearly audible. Didn’t look at S meter.
        Cheers, Deme, VE7CRT. (near Vancouver BC).
        Sent: Monday, July 04, 2011 8:43 AM

        To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com
        From: ka1gmn@...
        Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 09:16:02 -0500

        To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com
        From: esack@...
        Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 11:11:05 -0700

        To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com

        To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com

        --
        Philw de KA1GMN

      • Demetrius Panaioti
        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 4, 2011
          ADDITIONAL INFO.
          My versions are: V4Chat 0.3.0.1 and V4 Sound Card TNC 0.3.0.1
          Deme, VE7CRT

          --- In V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com, "Deme" <deme@...> wrote:

          > I heard responses to my ARQ CQ but no printing. Just brown gibberish with a line through it.
          > On receive frame got V4ARQ CRC Fail on the V4 sound card TNC.
          > When switched to FEC got the following: V4FEC CRC Fail on the V4 Sound Card TNC
          > Received signals were clearly audible. Didn’t look at S meter.
          > Cheers, Deme, VE7CRT. (near Vancouver BC).

        • Matt Zilmer
          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 4, 2011
            Same here.  I just installed the full 0.3.0.1 package, available on the Yahoo group Files section.  I doubt there is any difference between the TNC 0.3.0.1 "patch" and the newly installed program.

            Deme, I copied your connect requests and the program tried to complete the handshake.  After a while, your end gave up and there were no more responses.

            Seems to be some degree of incompatibility or perhaps levels are wrong at one or more stations.  I clearly heard VE7CRT and everything decoded correctly in the TNC.

            73,

            To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com
            From: deme@...
            Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 16:13:45 +0000
            Subject: [V4Protocol] Re: V4 ARQ QRV now 10136

            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 4, 2011
              All,

              Please remember there are really two programs.  The V4Chat and the V4TNC.  While now they are currently at the same rev 0.3.0.1  they won’t always be so.  The V4 TNC will eventually be used by other programs ...it is the virtual TNC and its updates and revisions are separate from the others. The last release did change some minor things in the V4Chat as well. (read the revision history if interested).

              If you have a problem it is important to follow this procedure. I will repeat once again for all those that are new:

              1) Sync your computer clock to the internet (bring up the clock and click the internet tab) This isn’t perfect but it gets you within a few seconds or so. (This allows me to more easily debug two logs one from each end of the connection).
              2) Be sure you have the V4 TNC debug log enabled (read the help if you don’t know how).
              3) When you have a problem not the time as accurately as possible UTC Time is ALWAYS used. Then describe the problem in some words as clearly as possible.
              4) Send me the V4 TNC debug.log for the date and indicate briefly what your setup is: “Runnning WIN XP with SP1, 1000 MHz Pentium, 512 Meg Ram, SignaLink USB sound card and TS-480 etc”

              Then send the debug log AS AN ATTACHMENT to me:  rmuethingATcfl.rr.com.  If both ends of a problem connection can send me the log it is MUCH better ...I can see both ends...they are time synchronized and logged to 10 ms.

              If you can do this we can make progress... I need to see some things in this last release that have to do with the auto calculation of round trip time that I could not duplicate well with the simulator.

              73 and Happy Fourth!