RE: [V4Protocol] V4 ARQ QRV now 10136

  • Edgar Sack
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 3, 2011

      Hi Matt,

      My problem is the eternal condo antenna limitations problem.   My antennas “hidden on the balcony” get out better as the

      wavelengths get smaller.

      If I were to try my 40 meter hamstick, what forty meter frequency appeals to you?   7,073?

      73,

      Ed

      W3NRG

      From: esack@...
      Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 07:06:52 -0700

      Hi Matt,

      I’ll be listening on 10136 dial USB this morning.   Have a very poor 30 meter antenna – Hamstick, vertical – but if I see you on the screen I will let you know.

      73,

      Ed

      W3NRG

      Coronado, CA

      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 3, 2011
        I'm on 7075 right now.

        To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com

        To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 3, 2011

          O.K. Hamstick is on the balcony and tuned to 1:1 SWR.   When we say 7,075 on V Chat are we talking LSB?

          Ed

          To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com

          To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 3, 2011
            Data modes are almost always USB.

            To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com
            From: esack@...
            Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 11:11:05 -0700

            To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com

            To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 3, 2011

              Roger.  I tried both but did not see you in either option.

              We are in the process of creating a “radio room” for our local EmComm group on top of this building which will put

              our antennas over 150 feet in the air – the highest point in our City and completely out in the  clear.    At the very least we will

              have both a Winlink RMS and a Winmor access point up there and if the budget works out, a remote controlled

              HF rig which will certainly give me a much better chance of enjoying my favorite digital modes.

              I will continue to watch for VChat stations on 14.073 mh where I do capture a W1 and a W4 from time to time.

              By the way, I did a competitive study of the then active digital modes some years ago (published in the (ARRL and TAPR Digital

              Communications Conference for 2007) and found that three or four of the three dozen modes I tested stood out against

              the rest under the particular evaluation marks I used in the study.    As I recall Domino and Olivia were looking quite competitive

              at that time.

              How do you feel VChat stacks up against modes like CHIPs when bandwidth is an issue and the conditions are lousy (as they

              always are with the antennas I have to use for the moment.)

              73,

              Ed

              W3NRG

              To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com
              From: esack@...
              Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 11:11:05 -0700

              To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com

              To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 3, 2011
                That's because I couldn't hang out in the shack all morning.  I called CQ on 7075.0 for a few minutes.  Then I had yard work to do, and a few errands to run.  Sorry.

                I've not had enough successful QSO's using V4 to make a full evaluation.  ARQ works fine and as advertised.  I got a call from a W4WEB yesterday, the connection came alive, but conditions were suckful so we didn't carry on.

                FEC has worked fine in the past here.  That was before 1.1.1.1 though, and haven't tried it again since a few weeks ago.

                In Navy-Marine Corps MARS we are starting to see Olivia pop up as a good mode for local and regional traffic.  Here in SCA, we've been testing it for a couple weeks with mostly good results.  The only problems we've had seem to be codec-related, and sometimes between different types of client AP's (MixW and DM780 for example).

                I've never used Domino. Would like to give it a spin, but don't see any advertising for its use and don't know anyone local for testing.

                73,

                To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com

                To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com
                From: esack@...
                Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 11:11:05 -0700

                To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com

                To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com

                  To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com
                  From: esack@...
                  Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 11:11:05 -0700

                  To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com

                  To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 23 , Jul 4, 2011
                    Will be on 10136 shortly as soon as I install the latest versin of V4...philw de ka1gmn

                    To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com
                    From: esack@...
                    Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 11:11:05 -0700

                    To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com

                    To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com

                    --
                    Philw de KA1GMN
                  • Matt Zilmer
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jul 4, 2011
                      It being a day off and all....  will hang in there listening for a GMN CQ.

                      To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com
                      From: ka1gmn@...
                      Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 09:16:02 -0500

                      To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com
                      From: esack@...
                      Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 11:11:05 -0700

                      To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com

                      To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 23 , Jul 4, 2011
                        I am on 10.136 and I hear V4 but I am not printing anything.

                        To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com
                        From: ka1gmn@...
                        Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 09:16:02 -0500

                        To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com
                        From: esack@...
                        Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 11:11:05 -0700

                        To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com

                        To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com

                        Message 11 of 23 , Jul 4, 2011

                          I’m receiving VE7CRT on 10136.

                          73,

                          Ed

                          W3NRG

                          To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com
                          From: ka1gmn@...
                          Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 09:16:02 -0500

                          To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com
                          From: esack@...
                          Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 11:11:05 -0700

                          To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com

                          To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com

                          Message 12 of 23 , Jul 4, 2011
                            I copied ve7crt calling cq but he did not answer me.  I will move on now.

                            To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com
                            From: ka1gmn@...
                            Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 09:16:02 -0500

                            To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com
                            From: esack@...
                            Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 11:11:05 -0700

                            To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com

                            To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com

                            Message 13 of 23 , Jul 4, 2011
                              Was calling CQ on ARQ using 0.3.0.0.  TNC is 0.3.0.1.

                              Is everyone up to date, or am I running downrev SW?

                              To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com
                              From: esack@...
                              Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 08:43:28 -0700

                              To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com
                              From: ka1gmn@...
                              Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 09:16:02 -0500

                              To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com
                              From: esack@...
                              Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 11:11:05 -0700

                              To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com

                              To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com

                              Message 14 of 23 , Jul 4, 2011
                                I heard responses to my ARQ CQ  but no printing. Just brown gibberish with a line through it.
                                On receive frame got V4ARQ CRC Fail on the V4 sound card TNC.
                                When switched to FEC got the following: V4FEC CRC Fail on the V4 Sound Card TNC
                                Received signals were clearly audible. Didn’t look at S meter.
                                Cheers, Deme, VE7CRT. (near Vancouver BC).
                                Sent: Monday, July 04, 2011 8:43 AM

                                To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com
                                From: ka1gmn@...
                                Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 09:16:02 -0500

                                To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com
                                From: esack@...
                                Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 11:11:05 -0700

                                To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com

                                To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com

                                A repeat from yesterday, for anyone interested....  10136.0 MHz.

                                Anyone around and up for a V4 ARQ check out?

                                73,

                                Matt Zilmer, W6NIA / NNN0UET / NNN0GAF THREE
                                NMCM RMS Winmor: NNU9ET-5: Upland, CA.

                                --
                                Philw de KA1GMN

                              • Demetrius Panaioti
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jul 4, 2011
                                  ADDITIONAL INFO.
                                  My versions are: V4Chat 0.3.0.1 and V4 Sound Card TNC 0.3.0.1
                                  Deme, VE7CRT

                                  --- In V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com, "Deme" <deme@...> wrote:

                                  > I heard responses to my ARQ CQ but no printing. Just brown gibberish with a line through it.
                                  > On receive frame got V4ARQ CRC Fail on the V4 sound card TNC.
                                  > When switched to FEC got the following: V4FEC CRC Fail on the V4 Sound Card TNC
                                  > Received signals were clearly audible. Didn’t look at S meter.
                                  > Cheers, Deme, VE7CRT. (near Vancouver BC).

                                • Matt Zilmer
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jul 4, 2011
                                    Same here.  I just installed the full 0.3.0.1 package, available on the Yahoo group Files section.  I doubt there is any difference between the TNC 0.3.0.1 "patch" and the newly installed program.

                                    Deme, I copied your connect requests and the program tried to complete the handshake.  After a while, your end gave up and there were no more responses.

                                    Seems to be some degree of incompatibility or perhaps levels are wrong at one or more stations.  I clearly heard VE7CRT and everything decoded correctly in the TNC.

                                    73,

                                    To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com
                                    From: deme@...
                                    Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 16:13:45 +0000
                                    Subject: [V4Protocol] Re: V4 ARQ QRV now 10136

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jul 4, 2011
                                      All,

                                      Please remember there are really two programs.  The V4Chat and the V4TNC.  While now they are currently at the same rev 0.3.0.1  they won’t always be so.  The V4 TNC will eventually be used by other programs ...it is the virtual TNC and its updates and revisions are separate from the others. The last release did change some minor things in the V4Chat as well. (read the revision history if interested).

                                      If you have a problem it is important to follow this procedure. I will repeat once again for all those that are new:

                                      1) Sync your computer clock to the internet (bring up the clock and click the internet tab) This isn’t perfect but it gets you within a few seconds or so. (This allows me to more easily debug two logs one from each end of the connection).
                                      2) Be sure you have the V4 TNC debug log enabled (read the help if you don’t know how).
                                      3) When you have a problem not the time as accurately as possible UTC Time is ALWAYS used. Then describe the problem in some words as clearly as possible.
                                      4) Send me the V4 TNC debug.log for the date and indicate briefly what your setup is: “Runnning WIN XP with SP1, 1000 MHz Pentium, 512 Meg Ram, SignaLink USB sound card and TS-480 etc”

                                      Then send the debug log AS AN ATTACHMENT to me:  rmuethingATcfl.rr.com.  If both ends of a problem connection can send me the log it is MUCH better ...I can see both ends...they are time synchronized and logged to 10 ms.

                                      If you can do this we can make progress... I need to see some things in this last release that have to do with the auto calculation of round trip time that I could not duplicate well with the simulator.

                                      73 and Happy Fourth!