V4Chat v 0.3.0.1 ARQ test

  • Robert Belize
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 28, 2011
      This is what I have observed.

      My setup:
      Station 1: Laptop / SignaLink / IC-746 / low rf power (V31AE)
      Station 2: PC / SignaLink/ TS-140S/ low  rf power (V31TST) is a test call sign only)

      Both station are setup side by side.
      • Both station are in ARQ mode stby (disconnected IRS)
      • Station 1 call station 2
      • Connected
      • Station 1 sends text "line 1"
      • Station 2 receives and reply's with "line 1 V31TST"
      • Station 1 sends text "line 2"
      • Station 2 receives and reply's with "line 2 V31TST"

      Both TNC show accordingly IRS or ISS or ISS >IRS,  text flows, no problems..

      Now, if I start typing text into station 1 and into station 2 at the same time , and repeat that, problems  will  start.

      • Both TNC's  show Status:  IRS>ISS  ( it will not change )
      • On both TNC the busy indicator is permanently "on"
      • Both TNC's show: 0 bytes cued
      • Both TNC constellation windows are  black
      Nothing happens anymore. Both station idle out after the set time of 180 sec.

      Robert V31AE

    • Bob Thornton
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 29, 2011
        That sounds to me exactly what seems to happen in real QSO. It doesn't change mode smoothly.
        Also last night while in a ARQ connected QSO with Jussi OH7TE I suddenly found a "Connected to V31AE" message. I am guessing we were both in separate QSO and not hearing each other and then a lift just crossed our wires. But no forced abort of the QSO with Jussi, so it felt wrong. I am sure Rick will repeat that V4 is for one QSO on one channel at one time, but that was clearly what both (or all 4!) parties thought they were having.
        While watching a blank waterfall and getting a lot of red decodes on "noise" again, I was surprised to see one single frame suddenly appear in green error free text. I could not hear the signal at that time but clearly it was there.
        Again while connected to Robert I had one decode of black bold text that was complete gibberish. Perhaps Robert was in despair!

        I will look at the log, note the times of these events and send it on to Rick.

        We probably need to be moving up a channel or 2 when a new release appears. Is a 200 Hz step sufficient or should we use 250Hz "channels". I guess it depends on the relative signal strengths.

        --- In V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Belize" <robertbelize@...> wrote:

        > This is what I have observed.
        >
        > My setup: Station 1: Laptop / SignaLink / IC-746 / low rf power
        > (V31AE)Station 2: PC / SignaLink/ TS-140S/ low rf power (V31TST) is a
        > test call sign only)
        > Both station are setup side by side.
        > * Both station are in ARQ mode stby (disconnected IRS)
        > * Station 1 call station 2
        > * Connected
        > * Station 1 sends text "line 1"
        > * Station 2 receives and reply's with "line 1 V31TST"
        > * Station 1 sends text "line 2"
        > * Station 2 receives and reply's with "line 2 V31TST"
        >
        > Both TNC show accordingly IRS or ISS or ISS >IRS, text flows, no
        > problems..
        > Now, if I start typing text into station 1 and into station 2 at the
        > same time , and repeat that, problems will start.
        >
        > * Both TNC's show Status: IRS>ISS ( it will not change )
        > * On both TNC the busy indicator is permanently "on"
        > * Both TNC's show: 0 bytes cued
        > * Both TNC constellation windows are black
        > Nothing happens anymore. Both station idle out after the set time of 180
        > sec.
        > Robert V31AE

      • Ted Trostle
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 29, 2011
          Robert when I connected with you yesterday afternoon and after the initial exchange I went into IRS and then finally it timed out. I will send Rick the logs so that maybe he can see something in the process.

          Ted WB2LOU

          --
          You cannot change history, but you can make history !
          Education is the only legal cure for stupidity.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 29, 2011
            Robert,

            I am sorry but that word description of what you observed is of virtually useless value without the debug logs.  You will have to send me debug logs if you want me to look into the problem at all.  This is the way debugging is done.

            Release Date: 06/28/11
          • Robert Belize
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 30, 2011

              am sure, that everybody (nearly) involved in the V4Chat testing, experienced exactly what I have described earlier.

              Robert V31AE

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 30, 2011

                I did sent you the debug logs....

                73