CQ connected !

  • ron_werthman@yahoo.ca
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 6, 2011
      Check this out.

      *** ARQ Calling CQ 2011-06-06 23:29:16
      *** Connected to CQ 2011-06-06 23:29:19
      *** Manual Abort Request
      *** ABORT ARQ.
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 6, 2011
        The only way that can happen is:
        1) Someone enters their call sign as “CQ”. Actually this CAN’T happen....there is a filter on the call sign setup to INSURE it is a legitimate Amateur or MARS call sign.

        2) (This is what likely happened) Someone is calling CQ Another QSO on the Same or nearby frequency is on going (and an ACK from that QSO is interpreted by the station calling CQ as an ACK).  I can probably build protection in the protocol for that so a call to CQ can never recognize an ACK and therefore will ALWAYS time out.

        But this brings up an issue I observed today...One frquency several people calling CQ, calling stations or trying to work a connection ALL at the same time ALL on the same frequency...Hey guys this is a 200 Hz narrow band mode not spread spectrum!  You can’t have two QSOs on the same frequency at the same time. (same for Pactor, Amtor, WINMOR etc...Packet can time share a frequency at the expense of throughput).

        Sent: Monday, June 06, 2011 7:32 PM
        Subject: [V4Protocol] CQ connected !

        Check this out.

        *** ARQ Calling CQ 2011-06-06 23:29:16
        *** Connected to CQ 2011-06-06 23:29:19
        *** Manual Abort Request
        *** ABORT ARQ.

      • Bob Thornton
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 9, 2011
          I observed the same situation today of "Connected to CQ". There was another station around deep in the noise but I could not copy a call at all.

          Bob
          G3WKW

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 9, 2011
            Bob,
            This is due to copying an inadvertent ACK from another session on/near frequency (ACKs and NAKs since they are without data are more robust and easier to copy).  The next release will include a mechanism insuring a call to CQ cannot cause a connection (ACKs when calling to CQ will be ignored).

            Rick KN6KB

          • Larry/AAT3PY
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 10, 2011
              Sorry but  have had this happen (connect to CQ) hooked to a dummy load!! Larry K4LLQ/AAT3PY
            • SgtJLawson
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 10, 2011
                Larry say it aint so...Hi
                John
                AAR3GK

                Sorry but  have had this happen (connect to CQ) hooked to a dummy
                load!! Larry K4LLQ/AAT3PY
              • W6IDS
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 10, 2011
                  What did you have happen?

                  Howard W6IDS
                  Richmond, IN EM79NV
                  Sorry but  have had this happen (connect to CQ) hooked to a dummy load!! Larry K4LLQ/AAT3PY

                • ltw_1937
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 11, 2011
                    What I had happen was a ending up with a connect to CQ when calling CQ arq hooked up to a dummy load where there was little to no possibility of receiving a signal from some other station. Have made a number of contacts on ARQ but sometimes ther is no connect from what appears to be a timing issue. I usually abort and try to reestablish the link. Most of my operation has been on 14.073 MHz. We are very interested in using V4 ARQ in MARS for error free delivery of message traffic. Larry K4LLQ/AAT3PY