The 30m Band Utilization Chart -- 2 June 2011

  • Ian Wade G3NRW
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2, 2011
      Just in time for the 30m Multi Mode weekend -- 4/5 June 2011.

      A few weeks ago Don Hobson, KB9UMT, founder of the 30m Digital Group,
      published the updated "unofficial 30m bandplan" on the 30MDG reflector.
      I responded, saying that the listing was a little misleading, because
      some frequencies were dial frequencies, others were emitted frequencies,
      and it wasn't clear which was which.

      Don challenged me to do better. At first I tried to improve the listing
      format, to draw the distinction between dial and emitted frequencies,
      but quickly realized this was not an easy task! I finally capitulated
      and decided on a graphical format instead:

      I have called it a "Band Utilization" chart. It is exactly that. It is
      not a "bandplan", nor even an "unofficial bandplan". Rather, it is an
      attempt to graphically portray the many modes that are actually in use
      on 30m today. On the chart there is a clear distinction between dial
      frequencies and emitted frequencies, helping you to accurately set the
      correct frequency and to identify signals as they appear on the
      waterfall.

      Prior to posting the chart on my website, I sent a couple of draft
      versions to a number of the world's "movers and shakers" in digital
      communication and HF. Several of them responded with very helpful
      comments, suggestions and corrections, for which I am very grateful.

      It's been an "interesting" exercise to fit everything in, but I hope you
      will find the finished chart useful. I think you will be intrigued to
      see just how much is squeezed into the band, especially above 10.140. In
      particular, the graphical approach highlights several overlaps between
      modes, which (to me at least) weren't at all obvious from the tabular
      frequency listing. I was also unaware of just how many Winlink RMS
      stations are active: no less than 48 stations on 32 frequencies, mostly
      above 10.140.

      The chart is a living document. If you see any errors or omissions, or
      want to suggest improvements, please email me at g3nrw@...

      Enjoy the Multi Mode weekend!

      Ian, G3NRW
    • David Bastress
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2011
        Ian,

        Very nice.  Thanks for making the effort.  It does illustrate how much overlapping of modes there is on the ham bands.  Now, how about making one for each of the other ham bands. How many life times do you have?  :-0

        As far as I know, ROS is illegal in the U.S.  The FCC has defined it as a 'spread spectrum' mode and not legal for amateurs to use on HF.
        Dave K3GAU

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 2, 2011
          From: David Bastress <bastress@...>
          Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 Time: 10:04:42

          >Ian,

          >Very nice.  Thanks for making the effort.  It does illustrate how much
          >overlapping of modes there is on the ham bands.  Now, how about making
          >one for each of the other ham bands. How many life times do you have?
          >:-0

          Thanks for your comments Dave. You are the third person already to ask
          if I can do the same for other bands...but I think I would need a
          bodyguard if I attempted to do that!

          >As far as I know, ROS is illegal in the U.S.  The FCC has defined it as a
          >'spread spectrum' mode and not legal for amateurs to use on HF.
          >Dave K3GAU

          That's my understanding also, and that's why I showed the allocation
          with a question mark.

          Ian, G3NRW
        • David Bastress
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 2, 2011
            Ian,

            I just bet you would. (Need a body guard!)  I am almost surprised you didn't need one when you did the 30 meter band utilization chart.

            Another issue when trying to select an operating frequency is trying to dodge all the nets that claim certain frequencies during part of the day.  There seems to be no end of 'nets'.  Probably, 30 meters doesn't have as much of a problem with that as some other bands.

            Have a good day.

            Dave K3GAU

            From: David Bastress <bastress@...>
            Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 Time: 10:04:42

            >Ian,

            >Very nice.  Thanks for making the effort.  It does illustrate how much
            >overlapping of modes there is on the ham bands.  Now, how about making
            >one for each of the other ham bands. How many life times do you have?
            >:-0

            Thanks for your comments Dave. You are the third person already to ask
            if I can do the same for other bands...but I think I would need a
            bodyguard if I attempted to do that!

            >As far as I know, ROS is illegal in the U.S.  The FCC has defined it as a
            >'spread spectrum' mode and not legal for amateurs to use on HF.
            >Dave K3GAU

            That's my understanding also, and that's why I showed the allocation
            with a question mark.

            Ian, G3NRW

          • Russ Tower
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 2, 2011

              Russ Tower
              2011-06-02
              12:14:11

              Thanks Ian! This is very helpful . Well done.
              73/Russ - K1DOW -Arcadia  FL  - EL97BE

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 3, 2011
                Ian, this reality of crowdness is part of what I love about the 200hz V4 concept. AND why I whish RMS Express ability,like Airmail limiting
                a session to 500hz.

                I have learned it is some protocoll difficulties in WINMNOR, but on Pactor 1,2<=>3 it is already in the SCS protocol, so that might be an easier task.

                My thought is that when not REAL emcomm, then it is more polite for a ham staying within 500hz only.

                It is not good behaviour using more BW than necessary for the task, especially whithin IARU recommended narrow segments, but could be used wide during a REAL emcomm event.

                As it also is not good behaviour blocking a small wide band segment with a slow 500hz mode.

                Apart from that there is a LAW issue on 30m in some countries as well.
                Norway is one (max 1000hz on 30m), and I belive that Canada has limitations as well, maybe others?

                Thanks very much for your good work.

                73 de la7um Finn