Loop test gives only some correct words back

  • schwartzj22
    Message 1 of 7 , May 30, 2011
      To all,

      I have been using V4Chat (version 0.2.0.0) now for about 3 days. I think it is all working properly but I have yet to make a contact. I do have a question just to see if it is all working properly.

      Test results:
      1) Two tone test works and I used it to adjust the drive output.
      2) feed-back loop test gives only partially the correct words back and sometimes yields no words back.
      3) I have correctly copied some stations but did not connect with them in FEC mode.

      My station is as follows:
      Windows XP, Icom 746Pro, Interface is the US Interface Navigator (has its own sound card)
      I have been using this configuration for years with the digital modes and all is working properly.

      What is the significance that the loop test gives only partially the correct words back? Is it critical that all the words need to come back in order for the FEC mode to work properly?

      Tks,
      Joel-N3GSE
      Schwartzj22@...
    • ham
      Message 2 of 7 , May 30, 2011
        I've experienced the same problem with version 0.2.0.0 -- restarting the program seems to fix the problem. I believe this is a software issue of some sort.

        I am running Windows XP and .NET with all the latest patches. The radio is an ICOM 746Pro. I am keying the radio with PTT only via a home brew opto-isolated interace.

        Bernie

        --- In V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com, "schwartzj22" <schwartzj22@...> wrote:

        > To all,
        >
        > I have been using V4Chat (version 0.2.0.0) now for about 3 days. I think it is all working properly but I have yet to make a contact. I do have a question just to see if it is all working properly.
        >
        > Test results:
        > 1) Two tone test works and I used it to adjust the drive output.
        > 2) feed-back loop test gives only partially the correct words back and sometimes yields no words back.
        > 3) I have correctly copied some stations but did not connect with them in FEC mode.
        >
        > My station is as follows:
        > Windows XP, Icom 746Pro, Interface is the US Interface Navigator (has its own sound card)
        > I have been using this configuration for years with the digital modes and all is working properly.
        >
        > What is the significance that the loop test gives only partially the correct words back? Is it critical that all the words need to come back in order for the FEC mode to work properly?
        >
        > Tks,
        > Joel-N3GSE
        > Schwartzj22@...

      • schwartzj22
        Message 3 of 7 , May 30, 2011
          Hi Bernie-tks for response,
          I too have all the latest patches for XP, .NET, etc.
          Restarting for me does not help.
          Have you made contacts even though loop test response is not 100%?
          Tks,
          Joel-N3GSE

          Message 4 of 7 , May 30, 2011
            The loopback test requires that you connect audio out of the sound card directly to audio in (see help) and set the appropriate drive levels.  It has nothing to do with the radio or PTT keying although it might work with some radios with a monitor feature (allowing you to monitor what you are sending). Normally if you have the levels set approximately right (in the green) you’ll get very near 100% FEC copy.

            Rick KN6KB

            Sent: Monday, May 30, 2011 1:15 PM
            Subject: [V4Protocol] Re: Loop test gives only some correct words back

            href="mailto:V4Protocol%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:V4Protocol%40yahoogroups.com, "schwartzj22" <schwartzj22@> wrote:

            all,

            > > I have been using V4Chat (version 0.2.0.0) now
            for about 3 days. I think it is all working properly but I have yet to make a contact. I do have a question just to see if it is all working properly.

            > > Test results:
            > > 1) Two tone test works and I used
            it to adjust the drive output.
            > > 2) feed-back loop test gives only
            partially the correct words back and sometimes yields no words back.
            > > 3) I have correctly copied some stations but did not connect with them in
            FEC mode.

            > > My station is as follows:

            Windows XP, Icom 746Pro, Interface is the US Interface Navigator (has its own sound card)
            > > I have been using this configuration for years with the
            digital modes and all is working properly.

            > > What is
            the significance that the loop test gives only partially the correct words back? Is it critical that all the words need to come back in order for the FEC mode to work properly?

            > > Tks,
            > > Joel-N3GSE
            > > Schwartzj22@

          • schwartzj22
            Message 5 of 7 , May 30, 2011
              The good news now is that I just had my first contact. All was perfect.
              Since I do get some of the words correct it must mean that connect audio out of the sound card is connected directly to audio in or else I would get no words correctly, correct?
              For the drive level, I used the minimum level in the two tone test to just get a perfectly stabile power out (approximaley 50-60 watts with my 100 watt rig) reading on my watt meter.

              I guess even though the loop test is not 100%, I am able to have a qso with no problem.

              Thanks for your help and thanks for a great new digi mode,
              Joel-N3GSE

              Message 6 of 7 , May 30, 2011
                Joe,

                The loop back has to do with signals. You are sending audio from the sound card output...you are receiving DIFFERENT audio on the sound card input. On FEC you can do this full duplex (not on ARQ).  BUT you have to actually connect the two signals together...they normally are not connected.  You may be able to make some copy copy (which sounds like what you have) it if you have some leakage (through the sound card interfaced or ???) but you probably won’t get 100% copy.  Basically the loopback test is a simple mechanism to test that your sound cards are working correctly.  the normal sound card interfaced does NOT loop back the transmit audio to the receive audio. There isn’t much we do as hams that is really full duplex.  It is there just because it was easy to do because the sound card playback and capture are really two independent functions and can be run simultaneously.

                Rick KN6KB

                Sent: Monday, May 30, 2011 1:50 PM

                Rick,

                Sent: Monday, May 30, 2011 1:15 PM
                > To:
                href="mailto:V4Protocol%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:V4Protocol%40yahoogroups.com
                > Subject: [V4Protocol] Re: Loop test gives only some correct words
                back

                > Hi Bernie-tks for response,
                > I too have
                all the latest patches for XP, .NET, etc.
                > Restarting for me does not
                help.
                > Have you made contacts even though loop test response is not
                100%?
                > Tks,
                > Joel-N3GSE
                >
                > --- In
                mailto:V4Protocol%40yahoogroups.com, "ham" <ve3fwf@> wrote:

                > > I've experienced the same problem
                with version 0.2.0.0 -- restarting the program seems to fix the problem. I believe this is a software issue of some sort.

                > > I am
                running Windows XP and .NET with all the latest patches. The radio is an ICOM 746Pro. I am keying the radio with PTT only via a home brew opto-isolated interace.

                > > Bernie
                > >

                > > --- In mailto:V4Protocol%40yahoogroups.com, "schwartzj22"
                <schwartzj22@> wrote:

                > > > To all,
                > > >
                > > > I have been using V4Chat (version 0.2.0.0) now for
                about 3 days. I think it is all working properly but I have yet to make a contact. I do have a question just to see if it is all working properly.

                > > > Test results:
                > > > 1) Two tone test
                works and I used it to adjust the drive output.
                > > > 2) feed-back
                loop test gives only partially the correct words back and sometimes yields no words back.
                > > > 3) I have correctly copied some stations but did
                not connect with them in FEC mode.

                > > > My
                station is as follows:
                > > > Windows XP, Icom 746Pro, Interface is
                the US Interface Navigator (has its own sound card)
                > > > I have
                been using this configuration for years with the digital modes and all is working properly.

                > > > What is the significance
                that the loop test gives only partially the correct words back? Is it critical that all the words need to come back in order for the FEC mode to work properly?

                > > > Tks,

                Joel-N3GSE
                > > > Schwartzj22@

              • schwartzj22
                Message 7 of 7 , May 30, 2011
                  Rick-OK, I think I got it.
                  Given my station configuration, is there an easy way to connect the two signals together?
                  One point here is that this loop test reads as if it should work if a station is operating normally with the other digi modes. So this is not so. Others probably get stuck on this issue also.
                  Tks,
                  Joel-N3GSE