904Re: [V4Protocol] FT-450 control

  • Pete Ferrand
    May 3, 2011
      Rick, thanks for getting back to me.

      So the loop back means that part I understand and is working.

      As to t/r switching, I was hoping to use method (1) to avoid tying up another port and since the vox on the rig is disabled in data modes.

      With the other programs, MixW, HRD, FLdigi, the radio responds to a command to do t/r switching as well as commands to read frequency, change vfo's, etc. through the same port, com3 in this case.

      Does V4 work differently?

      Further, for method (1) if I set "Radio Command" to com3, what do I set "PTT Port (optional)" to?

      Thanks again.

      If the loop back is working OK and the program reports the TNC is OK on the port you have set then the TNC is working fine. Those TCP ports are how the V4Chat program communicates with the V4 Virtual TNC.

      Re PTT control:
      First understand there are basically 3 modes possible for PTT control.
      1) Radio control (some radios) I don’t know if the FT-450 supports this. Some modern radios (most Icoms) do. This is a serial command to the radio control port that tells the radio to transmit or not. If you radio supports PTT control this is convenient since you only need one serial port (the same serial port also programs the frequency, mode etc). be sure and use at least 4800 baud for timing reasons.
      2) PTT via VOX (external). This method keys the PTT via the audio. It is used on some sound card interfaces (e.g. SignaLink) or if you have VOX set in the transceiver to key off the transmitted audio. When this is selected the programs adds about 120 ms of additional leader to compensate for the delay VOX keying introduces.
      3) Direct PTT keying via RTS or DTR lines. This uses a separate (not the same port used to program the radio’s frequency) RS232 port to key the VOX from either the RTS or DTR lines. Those lines may need level conditioning to actually key the PTT line (usually an open collector to 5 volts or such). Some sound card interfaces use this.

      Hope this helps.

      Rick KN6KB