      From: "John Hirth" <w2ki@...>
      To: V4Protocol@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2011 1:10:19 PM
      Subject: [V4Protocol] Operating frequencies

      The nominal JT65 dial frequency has traditionally been 14.076, although they have been creeping down a bit lately.

      There is no reason we can't operate V4Chat at 500 hz increments upward from 14.073. That would at least give us a few more "channels" to spread out to. I've already heard a few stations just above 14.073 when that frequency is busy.

      Also, V4Chat has some similarities (at least in its intent) to the old Amtor ARQ and FEC. Is there any reason we couldn't TRY the "rtty segment" from 14.078-14.088 dial (about 14.080-090 rtty actual)? Yes, there is rtty there from time to time, but from what I hear in the northeast USA it's not overwhelming, and we should be able to co-exist. I've been a dedicated rtty operator in years past, and I think this might work.

      With this said, there is a lot to be said for a well published frequency or two. I often leave V4Chat listening on 14.073 while I'm doing other work nearby, and jump to the rig when I hear someone call.

      Just some food for thought....

      John W2KI

      On 9/2/2011 1:12 PM, wb0kgn@... wrote:

      Those using a number of digital modes snuggle up close to the 14.070 psk31 frequency.  Part of that strategy is hoping that they can pull psk31 stations to their preferred mode.  For a new mode like V4chat with its yahoo chat group  this strategy is not necessary.  I would suggest moving above the WSJT favored frequency of 14.073 to about 14.075.   When there is rare dx and during contests, the rtty region of the band is quite busy.  But most of the time it is not.

      Dave wb0kgn

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic