Interested in joining an online group studying "Professional Genealogy"?

  • larnold84604
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 7 8:23 PM
      If you are interested, please respond to Angela's email address at
      the bottom of this email asap!

      Thanks,
      Lisa

      Dear Lisa,

      We are ready to organize Pro Gen 3! Is the time right for you to
      participate?

      Here are the details:
      This online study group will meet together to study Professional
      Genealogy: A Manual for Researchers, Writers, Editors, Lecturers and
      Librarians, edited by Elizabeth Shown Mills. We will cover all of
      the chapters including research procedures and business practices.
      Each month there will be a reading assignment and a practical
      assignment to complete. The goal will be to put the principles from
      the book into practice and increase the level of professionalism in
      our genealogy research and services. The group will be divided into
      small peer groups to review each other's assignments and meet online
      for a monthly discussion of the topic. There are already two groups
      of aspiring professional genealogists meeting in Pro Gen study
      groups. This group will use the same model and assignments. There
      will be a BCG certified genealogist participating in the online
      discussions.

      I am pleased to announce that two of the original Pro Gen study group
      members have volunteered to be c0-leaders of Pro Gen 3 -- Christy
      Fillerup and Janis Gilmore. They will organize the peer groups,
      monitor discussions and track participation. I will serve as an
      advisor to the group and may pop in occasionally to see how you are
      doing.

      Side note: One of the greatest benefits of participation is
      networking. I have really enjoyed the friendships I have made and
      now have a network to call upon when I need to refer a client or
      subcontract work. It has also been very fun to meet my "online
      friends" in person at genealogy conferences and institutes.

      Are you up for it?
      Please be sure that you have at least five hours to devote to this
      study group every month. The expectation is that you will read the
      material, complete the practical assignment, review the assignments
      of 2 or 3 peers, and participate in a 60 to 90 minute online
      discussion each month. In order to cover the whole book the group
      will meet together for approximately 18 months.

      Please reply and let me know if you are in! If so, Christy and Janis
      will contact you soon with additional information.

      If you know anyone else who would like to participate please have
      them email me right away. We close the group to new members once it
      is organized.

      Thanks so much!

      Angela McGhie

      Pro Gen Study Groups Administrator

      mcghiefamilyhistory@...
    • DearMYRTLE
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 8 7:35 AM

        Just a note of encouragement about joining a ProGen study group. I am participating in ProGen2, and am finding the study fun and informative. There are few occasions to interact with our peers in a brainstorming, though-provoking manner, but ProGen study groups provides that forum.

        Pat

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 8 5:07 PM
          Darn,

          This is one of those things I will REALLY miss when I leave Utah
          County. I was happy to see the UV APG Chapter started and wanted to
          participate and contribute.

          I do not have high a decent Internet connection where I am staying
          Only a dial up modem. Also means the home owner does not have a phone
          while I am on the Internet.

          I am currently in Brampton, Ontario to house hunt. Just last night I
          arranged to rent a condo for a few months. That will give me time to
          look without pressure. I'll be back in Orem (if US govt lets me) to
          get my house there ready to sell or rent.

          Keep the emails coming. May see you in Mar or April.

          Betty Walling

        • Mary Beth Tolman
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 8 5:46 PM
            Refresh me, so you are the woman with Canadian citizenship. Did your visa run out? I missed something, I think. You said "if the US lets me." I hope you can come to a meeting in March or April.
            See you if I can.
            Mary Beth

            On 2/8/09, DearMYRTLE <MYRT@dearmyrtle. com> wrote:
            > Just a note of encouragement about joining a ProGen study group. I am
            > participating in ProGen2, and am finding the study fun and informative.
            > There are few occasions to interact with our peers in a brainstorming,
            > though-provoking manner, but ProGen study groups provides that forum.
            >

            > Pat

          • Lisa Arnold
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 8 6:27 PM
              Betty - Hang in there and come back soon!
              We'll be glad to have you back with us whenever you can!

              Lisa

              This is one of those things I will REALLY miss when I leave Utah
              County. I was happy to see the UV APG Chapter started and wanted to
              participate and contribute.

              I do not have high a decent Internet connection where I am staying
              Only a dial up modem. Also means the home owner does not have a phone
              while I am on the Internet.

              I am currently in Brampton, Ontario to house hunt. Just last night I
              arranged to rent a condo for a few months. That will give me time to
              look without pressure. I'll be back in Orem (if US govt lets me) to
              get my house there ready to sell or rent.

              Keep the emails coming. May see you in Mar or April.

              Betty Walling

              On 2/8/09, DearMYRTLE <MYRT@dearmyrtle. com> wrote:
              > Just a note of encouragement about joining a ProGen study group. I am
              > participating in ProGen2, and am finding the study fun and informative.
              > There are few occasions to interact with our peers in a brainstorming,
              > though-provoking manner, but ProGen study groups provides that forum.
              >

              > Pat

            • John Casbeer
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 9 8:33 AM
                Please remove my name from your group.  My email is jcasbeer1985@....

                Lisa Arnold <larnold@...> wrote:
                Betty - Hang in there and come back soon!
                We'll be glad to have you back with us whenever you can!

                Lisa

                This is one of those things I will REALLY miss when I leave Utah
                County. I was happy to see the UV APG Chapter started and wanted to
                participate and contribute.

                I do not have high a decent Internet connection where I am staying
                Only a dial up modem. Also means the home owner does not have a phone
                while I am on the Internet.

                I am currently in Brampton, Ontario to house hunt. Just last night I
                arranged to rent a condo for a few months. That will give me time to
                look without pressure. I'll be back in Orem (if US govt lets me) to
                get my house there ready to sell or rent.

                Keep the emails coming. May see you in Mar or April.

                Betty Walling

                On 2/8/09, DearMYRTLE <MYRT@dearmyrtle. com> wrote:
                > Just a note of encouragement about joining a ProGen study group. I am
                > participating in ProGen2, and am finding the study fun and informative.
                > There are few occasions to interact with our peers in a brainstorming,
                > though-provoking manner, but ProGen study groups provides that forum.
                >

                > Pat

              • ray furgeson
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 9 10:36 AM

                  Lisa,

                  Are we still on for a meeting this Thursday?  I haven't received an email to inquire about "Brick Wall" problems; if that is our topic . . .

                  Renee Furgeson

                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 9 10:48 AM
                    Yes, I would like to participate.
                    Carol Hill
                    --- In UtahValleyAPG@yahoogroups.com, "larnold84604" <larnold@...>
                    wrote:

> [...]
                    > subcontract work. It has also been very fun to meet my "online
                    > friends" in person at genealogy conferences and institutes.
                    >
                    > Are you up for it?
                    > Please be sure that you have at least five hours to devote to this
                    > study group every month. The expectation is that you will read the
                    > material, complete the practical assignment, review the assignments
                    > of 2 or 3 peers, and participate in a 60 to 90 minute online
                    > discussion each month. In order to cover the whole book the group
                    > will meet together for approximately 18 months.
                    >
                    > Please reply and let me know if you are in! If so, Christy and
                    Janis
                    > will contact you soon with additional information.
                    >
                    > If you know anyone else who would like to participate please have
                    > them email me right away. We close the group to new members once

                  • Lisa Arnold
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 9 10:54 AM
                      Yes!  You should have received an email several weeks ago about the calendar change and uploading brick walls.  Curious that you didn't get it.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 9 10:56 AM
                        Carol - Be sure to contact Angela.  Her address is mcghiefamilyhistory@....

                        Lisa

                        interested, please respond to Angela's email address at
                        > the bottom of
                        this email asap!

                        ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________

> [...]
                        and institutes.

                        > Are you up for it?
                        > Please be sure that
                        you have at least five hours to devote to this
                        > study group every month.
                        The expectation is that you will read the
                        > material, complete the
                        practical assignment, review the assignments
                        > of 2 or 3 peers, and
                        participate in a 60 to 90 minute online
                        > discussion each month. In order
                        to cover the whole book the group
                        > will meet together for approximately
                        18 months.

                        > Please reply and let me know if you are in! If so,
                        Christy and
                        Janis
                        > will contact you soon with additional
                        information.

                        > If you know anyone else who would like to
                        participate please have
                        > them email me right away. We close the group to

                        Administrator

                        mcghiefamilyhistory @...

                      • Carol Hill
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 9 11:01 AM
                          Ok.  Thanks

                          Carol Hill
                          876 High Country Drive
                          Orem, Ut 84097
                          801-224-7512

> [...]
                          > subcontract work. It has also been very fun to meet my "online
                          > friends" in person at genealogy conferences and institutes.
                          >
                          > Are you up for it?
                          > Please be sure that you have at least five hours to devote to this
                          > study group every month. The expectation is that you will read the
                          > material, complete the practical assignment, review the assignments
                          > of 2 or 3 peers, and participate in a 60 to 90 minute online
                          > discussion each month. In order to cover the whole book the group
                          > will meet together for approximately 18 months.
                          >
                          > Please reply and let me know if you are in! If so, Christy and
                          Janis
                          > will contact you soon with additional information.
                          >
                          > If you know anyone else who would like to participate please have
                          > them email me right away. We close the group to new members once

                        • ray furgeson
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 9 5:32 PM
                            Lisa,

                            So what is the calendar change?  I didn't get the email

                            Renee

                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 9 5:38 PM
                              Renee -

                              It was a pretty lengthy email, so I am forwarding the post link for you to read it, and copying everyone on this response.
                              It was posted on Jan 28.  Anytime you (or anyone) are wondering about the activities of the group, I hope you will check the Yahoo Group list!