Fireworks

  • Julene Humes
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2013
      Hello, Friends,

      The following is a text of a letter I sent to the Pleasant Grove mayor and city council.  I'm hoping there are others who feel as I do and are willing to speak up on these matters.

      This letter is to express my growing concern with the use of very loud fireworks close to residential areas. I understand the need to celebrate these important holidays.  I support the use of fireworks on the day of those holidays, but the
      1. Number of nights in which they are used,
      2. The time of night in which they are used and
      3. The increasing loudness
      are all areas of great concern.

      I am an early childhood educator and have learned of the importance of healthy sleep patterns for children.  These patterns are also important for older children and adults.  These fireworks pose a health threat to a large segment of our family oriented communities due to disturbed sleep.  Additionally, with the legality of airborne, rocket launched fireworks, the volume when they are set off is too high.

      I am hearing these fireworks being set off as late as midnight, and I have heard them every night since the first day of Strawberry Days.  This is excessive.  And then there's the matter of a lessening of enjoyment for the fun fireworks can be if kept within proper bounds.  A pleasure that becomes too common loses its appeal.

       It is my understanding that the law allowing the use of fireworks, including very loud, airborne rocket launchers, for a month surrounding the three holidays of July 4th, 24th and New Years was struck down and changed back to three days on either side of those dates.  It would seem people are not adhering to this change in the law including Pleasant Grove City which approved, I'm sure, the setting off of fireworks every night of Strawberry Days.

      If my neighbors play their music too loud I can report them for disturbing the peace.  Why is it different in this case?  Why not have designated areas far away from residential neighborhoods where people can enjoy fireworks while leaving the rest of us in peace?

      I implore you to give serious consideration to these matters.

      Thank you.