New to group

  • jenna
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 2, 2011
      Hello everyone, I'm new to the group and am just getting started with homeschooling officially this year, I'm Jenna and have a little girl Charlotte she is 4 and we're in Heber city. I'm 32 married and am very nervous but excited to begin this new journey. I am looking into getting started with purchasing some books and to adapt my home the best way for our new chapter. My husband is also going to be helping with the program as we share the working responsibility at our home. I was wondering if any of you would give me advice as to ideals on where to begin? I do already alot of art with water paint and molding but with playdoh, I think the once I get the curriculum better grasped with a book purchase I will have a better understanding. Does anyone have any reading material they no longer use or could advise me to purchase that would be appreciated. Thanks for your time Jenna
    • Krista Clement
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2, 2011
        Hi Jenna!

        Two books that are great for understanding how to organize a Waldorf home are Seven Times the Sun, and Heaven and Earth (by Sharifa Oppenheimer). Earthways is another good one for projects tha you can do with your 4 year old.   I also enjoy the festival book All Year Round.  When I lived in SLC I attended a lecture by a Waldorf educator who said the three "R's" of childhood are Repetition, Rhythm and Ritual (err..or is it Repetition, Rhythm and Reverence???).  Something like that.  At any rate, the idea for early childhood is that young children are living in a magical realm, a dream time, and the most important thing you can do as a teacher parent is to bring some kind form to your daily life and "hold the space" for your child and family.  Daily and weekly rhythms are key for managing this. Rituals are also powerful for young children and a simple verse at bedtime or a morning singing ritual can increase unity so much.  And repetition, the daily and repeated tasks you do with your child, teaches them as well.  Children before the age of 7 learn though imitating the role models in their life.  A lecturer I saw speak last year said something that made a deep impression on me: he tried to help us understand the child's frame of reference when he said that in our childrens eyes we are Archangels...mighty spiritual beings.  I love that!   When I think about what he said, I'm reminded that it is so important that I work on myself spiritually so I can be a good example for my kids.

        It seems overwhelming and daunting at first, but baby steps are the way to making a warm and secure home for your family.  Right now the most important thing for your girl is the family and the rhythms you establish in your household.  Go slow.  Try not to stress if you don't have all the Waldorf "stuff" (playsilks, Waldorf dolls, etc.)  The most important thing you can do is to create a warm, predictable and safe environment.  It will be easy to graduate to "book larnin" when she is 6 years old or so.

        Hope this helps.

        Blessings,
        Krista

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 2, 2011
          Also, here is a sample of what your days and weeks might look like during the Kindergarten years:

          Monday: Laundry and Sweeping Day
          Tuesday: Baking Day
          Wednesday: Watercolor Painting Day
          Thursday: Crafting/Play Doh day
          Friday: Park/Fieldtrip Day
          Saturday: Tidy Up the House Day
          Sunday: Family Day

          Monday

          7:00 Wake up!  Do your morning song/ritual and eat breakfast
          8:00  Go to the park or outside for a morning walk.  Collect leaves, play in the brook.
          10:00  Snack time.  Settle in for a story (repeat the same story for a week or so.  Try not to read too many books or read very often).  Do finger games and sing song rhymes.
          11:00  Tidy up the house, do the laundry.  Sometimes it's good to let her find out what a washboard is like and really scrub...or have a child sized broom so she can help you sweep.
          12:00  Mealtime verse/prayer.  Let her help make it with you.
          1:00  Quiet Time
          2:00  Play time (with neighbors or free play).
          5:00  Dinnertime rituals and dinner.  Spend time with Dad and have family time together.  Maybe read a book or play a game.  Do the dishes.  Sing.
          7:00  Bedtime rituals and lights out.

          THe major emphasis should be on play and as much outdoor play as possible.
        • Krista Clement
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 2, 2011
            *And what I meant by read very often is always read books.  The stories, like The Gingerbread Man, should come from you and be memorized if at all possible.  This seems hard at first, but gets easier the more you practice.

          • M Nielsen
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 5, 2011
              Hi Jenna!

              I am so excited to see so many local mamas!  I mean, yes we may have miles between us, but this is amazing to have such a great list of moms already!

              Jenna, Krista gave you some great titles, I want to share a bit more.  My husband and I write Waldorf curriculum for homeschoolers and we have a book that might help, it is called Before the Journey.  The book is really geared just toward getting your rhythm in the seasons and learning to enjoy it all.

              We have it in ebook and hard copy:
              http://shop.beaconmama.com/Early-Years_c4.htm

              You are at such a wonderful time in your homeschooling career!  In Waldorf, this time is all about you.  You are learning how to hold the space, learning to do the handwork, understanding the curriculum - you are blessed with the gift of time.  We have a bunch of free resources on our website too, you might be interested in these free podcasts we did a while back for moms:

              http://waldorfjourney.typepad.com/a_journey_through_waldorf/chats-with-lauri.html

              I am here to answer any questions you might have too.  I am excited to share the list with so many great moms!!

              Blessings to you.

              PS - we are here... in our new home in Salt Lake, just unpacking.

              --
              From our home to yours...

              Melisa & Erik Nielsen
              Owners
              A Little Garden Flower, Waldorf Essentials & Gnomes Home Radio
              www.waldorfessentials.com
              Be a Beacon for your family!
              www.iamabeacon.com