Re: old hoax making rounds again snip???

  • Rev. Steve
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 27 11:14 AM
      Wonder what happened to the other half of the eamil that siad this
      was a hoax that I posted???? It makes me look like I said that it was
      real bill .. which I did not !!! only passing on information.
      The half with the information is gone.
      This is what I posted where did it go??????????
      Rev. Steven Elton Long D.D.

      P.O. Box 71

      Royal, Arkansas 71968

      www.rulc.org

      November 19, 2003

      Dear Friends,

      I recently received an Email about the Bill 602P that is in Congress?
      This is a fake bill it does not exist! The Lawyer is not real
      either !! '602P' is not a valid name for a Congressional bill. Bills
      in the House of Representative are prefaced with 'H.R.'. Bills in the
      Senate are prefaced with 'S.'

      Also see below stories and sent to all that sent to you lets end this
      SPAM!!! Lawyer "Richard Stepp" and Congressman "Tony Schnell" — both
      mentioned in past and present versions of the 602P email — still do
      not exist.

      Thank You ,

      Rev Steven Elton Long D.D.

      Email Tax Hoax Fouls N.Y. Senate Debate

      by David Emery

      a bill introduced in the U.S. Congress would impose a 5-cent postal
      tax on every email found its way into a televised debate October 8th
      between New York Senatorial candidates Hillary Clinton and Rick
      Lazio. Moderator Marcia Kramer of WCBS-TV introduced the topic by
      saying, "I'd like to ask you how you stand on federal bill 602P,"
      then launched into a description of the nonexistent legislation drawn
      from the text of the now infamous email hoax.

      Both candidates, completely unaware they were discussing a fictional
      proposal, heartily condemned it.

      In a subsequent explanation, WCBS said that Kramer took some of her
      questions from messages submitted by viewers and had no idea she'd
      been slipped a hoax.

      The email in question, authored in April 1999 by an unknown Canadian
      prankster and anonymously retooled weeks later for a U.S. audience,
      has enjoyed an enormous circulation and provoked a steady stream of
      protests to Congressional offices since its inception. So clamorous
      has been the outcry against it, in fact, that last March Rep. Fred
      Upton of Michigan introduced legislation specifically to block any
      proposal resembling "Bill 602P" from ever becoming law.

      Congressman Lazio, who evinced complete ignorance of the hoax during
      the debate, was a co-sponsor of that legislation.

      Postal News
      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
      Release No. 99-045

      E-Mail Rumor Completely Untrue

      WASHINGTON, D.C. - A completely false rumor concerning the U.S.
      Postal Service is being circulated on Internet e-mail. As a matter of
      fact, the Postal Service has learned that a similar hoax occurred
      recently in Canada concerning Canada Post.

      The e-mail message claims that a "Congressman Schnell" has
      introduced "Bill 602P" to allow the federal government to impose a 5-
      cent surcharge on each e-mail message delivered over the Internet.
      The money would be collected by Internet Service Providers and then
      turned over to the Postal Service.

      No such proposed legislation exists. In fact, no "Congressman
      Schnell" exists.

      The U.S. Postal Service has no authority to surcharge e-mail messages
      sent over the Internet, nor would it support such legislation.

      --- In Universal_Life_Church@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Davis"
      <jeffrey.davis41@v...> wrote:
      > My, My, what happened to our tolerance for the opinions of

      Service.

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      Service.