Scotland may allow Jedi to perform marriage ceremonies | The Sideshow - Yahoo! News

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 20 10:00 AM
      Scotland may allow Jedi to perform marriage ceremonies
      http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/scotland-may-allow-jedi-perform-marriage-ceremonies-222747678.html

      By Eric Pfeiffer, Yahoo! News

      The Force is strong with the Jedi in Scotland. The Free Church of
      Scotland is pushing a bill that would grant those who have literally
      made "Star Wars" a religion the power to perform marriage ceremonies.

      The BBC reports that the Marriage and Civil Partnership Bill would apply
      to other nonreligious groups such as the Flat Earth Society and the Jedi
      Knights Society, aka Temple of the Jedi Order.

      And while it may sound like a joke to most, the Jedi religion is quite
      popular in some parts of Europe. In England, it is the second-most
      popular “alternative religion,” with more than 175,000 people listing
      themselves as Jedi in the 2012 nationwide census.

      "Our current consultation covers not only the introduction of same-sex
      marriage but also the detail of important protections in relation to
      religious bodies and celebrants, freedom of speech and education,” a
      Scottish government spokeswoman said.

      "At the moment, marriage ceremonies by bodies such as humanists have
      been classed as religious, even though the beliefs of such organizations
      are nonreligious."

      The move might be seen as a tad ironic, even among "Star Wars"
      enthusiasts, seeing as the actual Jedi in the "Star Wars" saga are
      typically not allowed to marry.

      The Jedi religion has spread beyond the boundaries of Europe. Recently,
      a group calling itself the Golden Gate Knights began teaching a light
      saber choreography class in the San Francisco Bay Area.

      The Scottish government plans to hold a public consultation on the bill
      and, of course, not all traditionally religious groups are happy about
      creating a new category for ceremonies that are by their very nature,
      arguably, a religious practice.

      "There are loads of people in a diverse society like this for whom
      belief can mean virtually anything—the Flat Earth Society and Jedi
      Knights Society—who knows?” the Rev. Iver Martin told the BBC.

      "I am not saying that we don't give place to that kind of personal
      belief, but when you start making allowances for marriages to be
      performed within those categories, then you are all over the place."

      For their part, the Jedi say the very nature of their beliefs would
      prevent them from tarnishing any other religious institutions.

      “We believe in Peace, Justice, Love, Learning and using our abilities
      for Good so it's unlikely that our way conflicts with your beliefs and
      traditions,” reads a statement on the group’s website.

      Nonetheless, the Scottish government spokeswoman said a more rigorous
      screening process would be implemented to prevent any organization from
      diluting the traditions of marriage in the country.

      "We are proposing the introduction of tests which a religious or belief
      body would have to meet before they could be authorized to solemnize
      marriage," she said.