Court: 'Irresistible' Workers Can Be Fired - ABC News

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 23, 2012
      The news item below stirred up a lot of mixed feelings within me,
      especially in relation to the suppression and demonization of sexuality;
      the role of the Church in that; the issue of cheating in monogamous
      couples - and the solution of honest multiple relationships (polyamory);
      the role of the State in empowering and enforcing both the suppression
      and the exploitation of sexuality... the list is large.

      What do you think?
      Petros
      ___________

      Court: 'Irresistible' Workers Can Be Fired
      http://news.yahoo.com/court-irresistible-workers-fired-203924415--abc-news-topstories.html

      By Alyssa Newcomb | ABC News

      An Iowa dentist was within his legal rights when he fired a longtime
      employee he found to be "irresistible" and a threat to his marriage, the
      State Supreme Court unanimously ruled.

      The seven justices, all male, affirmed on Friday a lower court's
      decision in favor of Dr. James Knight, who terminated Melissa Nelson
      after employing her for 10 and a half years as a dental assistant.

      "We do think the Iowa Supreme Court got it completely right," said
      Stuart Cochrane, an attorney for James Knight. "Our position has always
      been Mrs. Nelson was never terminated because of her gender, she was
      terminated because of concerns her behavior was not appropriate in the
      workplace. She's an attractive lady. Dr. Knight found her behavior and
      dress to be inappropriate."

      The two never had a sexual relationship or sought one, according to
      court documents, however in the final year and a half of Nelson's
      employment, Knight began to make comments about her clothing being too
      tight or distracting.

      "Dr. Knight acknowledges he once told Nelson that if she saw his pants
      bulging, she would know her clothing was too revealing," the justices wrote.

      Six months before Nelson was fired, she and her boss began exchanging
      text messages about work and personal matters, such as updates about
      each of their children's activities, the justices wrote.

      The messages were mostly mundane, but Nelson recalled one text she
      received from her boss asking "how often she experienced an orgasm."

      Nelson did not respond to the text and never indicated that she was
      uncomfortable with Knight's question, according to court documents.

      Soon after, Knight's wife, Jeanne, who also works at the practice, found
      out about the text messaging and ordered her husband to fire Nelson.

      The couple consulted with a senior pastor at their church and he agreed
      that Nelson should be terminated in order to protect their marriage,
      Cochrane said.

      On Jan. 4, 2010, Nelson was summoned to a meeting with Knight while a
      pastor was present. Knight then read from a prepared statement telling
      Nelson she was fired.

      "Dr. Knight felt like for the best interest of his marriage and the best
      interest of hers to end their employment relationship," Cochrane said.

      Knight acknowledged in court documents that Nelson was good at her job
      and she, in turn, said she was generally treated with respect.

      When Nelson's husband tried to reason with Knight, the dentist told him
      he "feared he would have an affair with her down the road if he did not
      fire her."

      Paige Fiedler, Nelson's attorney, said in a statement to ABC News
      affiliate KCRG that she was "appalled" by the ruling.

      "We are appalled by the Court's ruling and its failure to understand the
      nature of gender bias.," she wrote.

      "Although people act for a variety of reasons, it is very common for
      women to be targeted for discrimination because of their sexual
      attractiveness or supposed lack of sexual attractiveness. That is
      discrimination based on sex," Fiedler wrote. "Nearly every woman in Iowa
      understands this because we have experienced it for ourselves."

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    • bhadradharma@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 23, 2012
        I personally found this sort of blatant discrimination and sexual prejudice
        quite disturbing, what I do not understand is why we don't just start
        teaching boys to treat women equally and with respect and to keep their
        penises in their pants to begin with.

        I still believe that education is the solution to the "war on women".
        We need to teach boys from infancy that rape, or any form of violence or
        discrimination against women or anyone "different" is simply not to be done.

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 23, 2012
          On 23-Dec-12 6:38 PM, bhadradharma@... wrote:
          > I personally found this sort of blatant discrimination and sexual prejudice
          > quite disturbing, what I do not understand is why we don't just start
          > teaching boys to treat women equally and with respect and to keep their
          > penises in their pants to begin with.
          >
          > I still believe that education is the solution to the "war on women".
          > We need to teach boys from infancy that rape, or any form of violence or
          > discrimination against women or anyone "different" is simply not to be done.

          Yes, thank you, everything you say is exactly appropriate and close to
          the core of the problem.

          The news article about the story, here,
          "Court: 'Irresistible' Workers Can Be Fired"
          http://news.yahoocom/court-irresistible-workers-fired-203924415--abc-news-topstories.html
          made it sound like the basic approach of the boss and the pastor is that
          the female assistant was an embodiment of satan... and the "proof" is
          that she was an attractive woman. And the boss' wife joined in with this
          condemnation, so all three united to preserve the holy institution of
          marriage from... the inability of the boss to deal with his own sexuality.

          {Echoes here of the perverted version of the biblical story where Eve
          embodied sensuousness and "caused" the "Fall of Man" from morality.}

          When sexual attraction is demonized through united "legal" action by the
          family, the Church and the State, what the [bleep] is happening in this
          world?

          Petros