Medical marijuana superstore opens - Reuters

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 2, 2011
      Friends,

      Every once in (rare) while, some news are good news.
      Petros
      ___________

      Medical marijuana superstore opens
      http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110602/od_nm/us_marijuana_arizona

      By David Schwartz – Thu Jun 2, 2011

      PHOENIX (Reuters) – Some local wags are calling it the "Wal-Mart of
      Weed" or "Home DePot."

      Seeking to capitalize on Arizona's newly enacted medical marijuana law,
      a California-based company on Wednesday opened a superstore-sized garden
      center in Phoenix catering to those who want to grow their own cannabis.

      "We sell everything but the plant itself," said Dhar Mann, founder of
      weGrow, the company that began franchising its big-box stores with
      outlets in Oakland and Sacramento, California. "We sell the products and
      the services for people to safely and responsibly cultivate their medicine."

      The 21,000-square-foot store offers some 2,000 products, including soil,
      grow lights and irrigation trays, specially designed for effective
      marijuana growing, Mann told Reuters.

      A doctor also is on site to furnish eligible patients the initial
      medical approval needed to apply to the state health department for
      cards authorizing them to legally grow and use marijuana as treatment
      for a variety of qualifying ailments.

      Alluding to some of America's leading big-box chains, the company's own
      press materials describe the weGrow franchise as the "Wal-Mart of Weed,"
      while various media reports have referred to it as "Home DePot."

      The store's opening came on the same day that Arizona was to have begun
      accepting applications from individuals seeking one of 125 permits the
      state plans to grant for the operation of medical marijuana
      dispensaries. But that process was put on hold last week.

      On Friday, the state went to federal court seeking to clarify whether
      its citizens were at risk of federal prosecution for participating in
      activities sanctioned under Arizona's medical marijuana act, passed by
      voters in November.

      Arizona is the 16th state in the nation, plus the District of Columbia,
      to decriminalize marijuana for medical purposes.

      But Dennis Burke, the U.S. attorney for Arizona, warned in a letter to
      state health officials last month that the cultivation, sale and
      distribution of cannabis, classified by the U.S. government as an
      illegal narcotic, remains a federal crime.

      Since April, state officials have been accepting applications from
      patients and caregivers looking to grow and use marijuana for medical
      purposes.

      Figures show that 3,696 people have obtained cards allowing them to
      possess and grow marijuana for a range of medical issues, chronic pain
      chief among them. Males account for more than 75 percent of those approved.

      Mann said his Oakland-based company has big expansion plans for Arizona
      and nationwide as it looks to tap into what some have estimated to be a
      market worth billions of dollars.

      He said the next franchise store will open in the District of Columbia
      in July, with additional outlets slated for Denver, Detroit and possibly
      Los Angeles by the end of August.

      (Editing by Steve Gorman and Peter Bohan)
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    • grandpasmurf952
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 20, 2011
        --- In Universal_Life_Church@yahoogroups.com, Petros Evdokas <petros@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > illegal narcotic, remains a federal crime.
        >
        > Since April, state officials have been accepting applications from
        > patients and caregivers looking to grow and use marijuana for medical
        > purposes.
        >
        > Figures show that 3,696 people have obtained cards allowing them to
        > possess and grow marijuana for a range of medical issues, chronic pain
        > chief among them. Males account for more than 75 percent of those approved.
        >
        > Mann said his Oakland-based company has big expansion plans for Arizona
        > and nationwide as it looks to tap into what some have estimated to be a
        > market worth billions of dollars.
        >
        > He said the next franchise store will open in the District of Columbia
        > in July, with additional outlets slated for Denver, Detroit and possibly
        > Los Angeles by the end of August.
        >
        > (Editing by Steve Gorman and Peter Bohan)

        The reason we don't have Zucchini superstores is that while tasty, they are legal and most people find they can grow more than they can eat so if you live in a rural area the Zucchini is usually the most commonly shared garden gift with friends.

        Now if pot were legal such would also be the case, as evidenced by what is occurring here in California with the legalisation of pot as a medicine.

        While in the cities pot is often more expensive at the dispensaries than on the street due to the exploitation for money by so-called compassionate care givers, in the country it is often given away to friends, especially the shake which is made into brownies and hash oil.

        Let's try and make this sacred herb like the wonderful Zucchini!

        It really is made for sharing not exploiting!
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 23, 2011
          On 6/20/2011 8:19 PM, grandpasmurf952 wrote:

          > The reason we don't have Zucchini superstores is that while tasty,
          > they are legal and most people find they can grow more than they can
          > eat so if you live in a rural area the Zucchini is usually the most
          > commonly shared garden gift with friends.
          >
          > Now if pot were legal such would also be the case, as evidenced by
          > what is occurring here in California with the legalisation of pot as
          > a medicine.
          >
          > While in the cities pot is often more expensive at the dispensaries
          > than on the street due to the exploitation for money by so-called
          > compassionate care givers, in the country it is often given away to
          > friends, especially the shake which is made into brownies and hash
          > oil.
          >
          > Let's try and make this sacred herb like the wonderful Zucchini!
          >
          > It really is made for sharing not exploiting!

          Definitely!
          Thank you for your response.

          And, to continue with your reasoning, if it were legal to cultivate
          one's own, soon there would be no need for buying and selling the sacred
          herb. It's as easy to grow as mallows, wild mustards, dandelions and
          other "weeds"; if left alone without interference, Cannabis would grow
          by itself everywhere. Any efforts to exploit it financially would
          collapse if everyone can go to the empty lot next door where it grows
          wild and get some to share with friends.

          Of course this is not entirely the penultimate truth, but it's pretty
          close to it. Getting closer to the eradication of exploitation of
          Cannabis (and of every other product of human labour) the system of
          exploitation itself would have to be abolished. Only when it becomes
          illegal to profit fron another person's labour will there be a final
          guarantee that Cannabis, and every other fruit of human labour, will be
          free - that is, Cannabis will be free when its human friends are free as
          well.

          In the meantime, yes, we should fight for every form and version of
          legalization as possible.

          Petros
          ______
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 23, 2011
            I love your thinking grandpasmurth and Petros you are always right on. The time will come...very soon now...  when we can join Martin in saying, "free at last...free at last...thank God almighty that we are free at last!!"

            Rev.Steven B.Thompson,Executive Director
            Michigan NORML
            www.minorml.org

             ‘Yes We Cannabis!!'

            On 6/20/2011 8:19 PM, grandpasmurf952 wrote:

            > The reason we don't have Zucchini superstores is that while tasty,
            > they are legal and most people find they can grow more than they can
            > eat so if you live in a rural area the Zucchini is usually the most
            > commonly shared garden gift with friends.
            >
            > Now if pot were legal such would also be the case, as evidenced by
            > what is occurring here in California with the legalisation of pot as
            > a medicine.
            >
            > While in the cities pot is often more expensive at the dispensaries
            > than on the street due to the exploitation for money by so-called
            > compassionate care givers, in the country it is often given away to
            > friends, especially the shake which is made into brownies and hash
            > oil.
            >
            > Let's try and make this sacred herb like the wonderful Zucchini!
            >
            > It really is made for sharing not exploiting!

            Definitely!
            Thank you for your response.

            And, to continue with your reasoning, if it were legal to cultivate
            one's own, soon there would be no need for buying and selling the sacred
            herb. It's as easy to grow as mallows, wild mustards, dandelions and
            other "weeds"; if left alone without interference, Cannabis would grow
            by itself everywhere. Any efforts to exploit it financially would
            collapse if everyone can go to the empty lot next door where it grows
            wild and get some to share with friends.

            Of course this is not entirely the penultimate truth, but it's pretty
            close to it. Getting closer to the eradication of exploitation of
            Cannabis (and of every other product of human labour) the system of
            exploitation itself would have to be abolished. Only when it becomes
            illegal to profit fron another person's labour will there be a final
            guarantee that Cannabis, and every other fruit of human labour, will be
            free - that is, Cannabis will be free when its human friends are free as
            well.

            In the meantime, yes, we should fight for every form and version of
            legalization as possible.

            Petros
            ______

          • Richard Johnson
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 24, 2011

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 24, 2011
                On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 5:13 PM, Rev. Steven B. Thompson <
                BenziecountyNORML@...> wrote:

                > I love your thinking grandpasmurth and Petros you are always right on. The
                > time will come...very soon now... when we can join Martin in saying, "free
                > at last...free at last...thank God almighty that we are free at last!!"

                Thank you, Rev. Steven B. Thompson,

                It is the illusion of a fragmented reality we have to recognise as the
                human family, that has been perpetuated by the Patriarchal Religious
                Military Industrial Complex and it's 37000 or so puppet religions that
                depends on the illusion of a separate patriarchal god of wrath to keep
                humanity controlled by a privileged elite that depends on our fear and
                confusion to support itself that needs to be dismantled in order for us to
                be truly free.

                The many different patriarchal hieararchical groups that argue over who is
                the true church are actually the Antichrist! Jesus was an egalitarian and
                recognised the nature of the consciousness of the Cosmos that we all share
                as LOVE, this LOVE we are just beginning to understand is a form of
                holographic consciousness that allows for the existence and evolution of all
                of us as we each explore our individuality! The days of primitive myth based
                religions of hateful god(s) of conditional love is fast coming to a close as
                we confirm scientifically the nature of the OMNIPRESENT GOD in whom we all
                share our being!

                The historical Jesus recognised the problem of the evil power structure and
                it's false god of conditional love (hate) and sought to remedy it by
                pointing out that we are all one with GOD equally. His simple mystical truth
                was perceived as a threat to the oppressive power structure of the Roman
                Empire so he was murdered, his murder was blamed on the Jews, and his truth
                was replaced with an amalgamation of primitive pagan myths and it was
                business as usual in the Roman empire! Are you aware that the Vatican was
                built on the site of the Temple of Mithra? There is much proof to be found
                to demonstrate the magnitude of the Roman hoax which is responsible for the
                torture and death of millions of innocent people!

                I have been trying to share the simple truth of our existence that the
                historical Jesus was murdered for that science is now confirming to be true
                on topix and the oprah forum. I am urging everyone who can to help with this
                important task!

                We all need to get informed as to the danger that is presented by the Roman
                hoax and it's many derivatives and pitch in and restore the true
                Christianity of the historical Jesus to humanity that we are finding to be
                in perfect accord with the latest scientific findings as to the nature of
                the universe.

                GOD is LOVE. WE are ALL ONE WITH GOD, even the unloving!

                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 24, 2011
                  On 6/24/2011 5:23 PM, Richard Johnson wrote:

                  > It is the illusion of a fragmented reality we have to recognise as the
                  > human family, that has been perpetuated by the Patriarchal Religious
                  > Military Industrial Complex and it's 37000 or so puppet religions that
                  > depends on the illusion of a separate patriarchal god of wrath to keep
                  > humanity controlled by a privileged elite that depends on our fear and
                  > confusion to support itself that needs to be dismantled in order for us to
                  > be truly free.

                  Thanks, I really like the way you use the phrase "Patriarchal Religious
                  Military Industrial Complex" to denote... all of that pure concentrated
                  evil.

                  Petros
                  _______