6-story high Jesus statue struck by lightning

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 15, 2010
      6-story Jesus statue in Ohio struck by lightning
      http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100615/ap_on_re_us/us_lightning_strikes_jesus_statue

      SOLID ROCK CHURCH JESUS, AP.

      MONROE, Ohio – A six-story-tall statue of Jesus Christ with his arms
      raised along a highway was struck by lightning in a thunderstorm Monday
      night and burned to the ground, police said.

      The "King of Kings" statue, one of southwest Ohio's most familiar
      landmarks, had stood since 2004 at the evangelical Solid Rock Church
      along Interstate 75 in Monroe, just north of Cincinnati.

      The lightning strike set the statue ablaze around 11:15 p.m., Monroe
      police dispatchers said.

      The sculpture, 62 feet tall and 40 feet wide at the base, showed Jesus
      from the torso up and was nicknamed Touchdown Jesus because of the way
      the arms were raised, similar to a referee signaling a touchdown. It was
      made of plastic foam and fiberglass over a steel frame, which is all
      that remained early Tuesday.

      The fire spread from the statue to an adjacent amphitheater but was
      confined to the attic area, and no one was injured, police Chief Mark
      Neu said. The fire department would release a monetary damage estimate
      Tuesday, he said.

      Travelers on Interstate 75 often were startled to come upon the huge
      statue by the roadside, but many said America needs more symbols like
      it. So many people stopped at the church campus that church officials
      had to build a walkway to accommodate them.

      The 4,000-member, nondenominational church was founded by former horse
      trader Lawrence Bishop and his wife. Bishop said in 2004 he was trying
      to help people, not impress them, with the statue. He said his wife
      proposed the Jesus figure as a beacon of hope and salvation and they
      spent about $250,000 to finance it.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 15, 2010
        6-story Jesus statue in Ohio struck by lightning
        http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100615/ap_on_re_us/us_lightning_strikes_jesus_statue

        ----------

        Jeannie wrote:
        "$250,000 !! Jesus Christ!

        It seems to me the might of used that money to build a home to
        shelter and feed the homeless or something.

        Symbolically the event signifies the end of the age of Pisces (The
        Christ) and the beginning of the age of Aquarious... the water bearer."

        G.G wrote:
        "Thank you for that! An important message from the Almighty to the
        idol-worshipping 'merikans."

        .
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 15, 2010
          6-story Jesus statue in Ohio struck by lightning
          http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100615/ap_on_re_us/us_lightning_strikes_jesus_statue

          ----------

          G.G wrote:
          "This cracked me up. Oh my goodness these people are silly: "Next time
          we'll build something fireproof"

          ???

          How about you get someone with electrical skills to properly GROUND your
          steel-frame 6-story statue? That ANY of you were surprised by the
          lightning strike speaks volumes of your basic awareness of natural
          phenomena.

          Then again, when science is removed from school curricula in favor of
          superstition, I guess I shouldn't be surprised."

          .

          .