[TheGreens] Action Proposal from the cc of the Nat'l Assembly to end the Iraq war and occupation

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4, 2008
      From: Mitchel Cohen <mitchelcohen@...>
      Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008

      Subject: [TheGreens] Action Proposal from the cc of the Nat'l Assembly
      to end the Iraq war and occupation

      Action Proposal Submitted to the June 28-29, 2008 "Open National
      Conference to Stop the War in Iraq and Bring the Troops Home Now" by
      the Coordinating Committee of the National Assembly to End the Iraq
      War and Occupation

      Proposed Actions

      1) The National Assembly to End the War and Occupation of Iraq urges
      attendees at this conference to build support for and participate in
      demonstrations at the Republican and Democratic Party conventions
      previously called by many groups with the goal being to organize
      massive, independent and united contingents demanding "Bring the
      Troops Home Now!" Put the bi-partisan warmakers on notice that our
      movement will accept nothing less than the immediate and
      unconditional withdrawal of all U.S. troops from Iraq and closing all
      military bases.

      2) The National Assembly welcomes initiatives taken by local and
      regional antiwar groups to organize antiwar demonstrations in the
      months ahead, leading up to the November 4 election, calling for the
      immediate withdrawal of all U.S. military forces from Iraq. The
      Assembly will encourage participation in such actions.

      3) The National Assembly will propose a date to be set by the
      conference for organizing united local protests in cities across the
      nation to demand of whichever administration comes to power nothing
      less than the immediate and unconditional withdrawal of all U.S.
      troops and bases from Iraq.

      4) That all of the above mobilizations be viewed as springboards for
      building massive, united, independent and bi-coastal Spring 2009
      demonstrations against the war, organized, called and sponsored by
      the movement's major forces as well as new forces that can be brought
      into the movement; that every effort be made to make these
      demonstrations international in scope; and that we aim at a new level
      of unity and commitment capable of closing the gap between the
      present antiwar forces engaged in our common movement and those who
      also oppose the war but have not yet understood the necessity of
      directly and actively dedicating themselves to the fight to end it.

      5) In the event of a U.S. government attack on Iran or another major
      international crisis triggered by U.S. military action, the Assembly
      will urge an emergency convening of all the major antiwar forces to
      plan the most massive, united, protest action possible.

      MOTIVATION

      1. The U.S. continued occupation of Iraq as part of its war against
      the people of that nation is today among the central issues in world
      politics. Initiated with an internationally discredited lie, the war
      and occupation violate the right of the Iraqi people to determine
      their own destiny and constitute crimes under international law.

      2. The war is motivated by the drive to control Iraq's gigantic oil
      wealth and access to the energy resources of the entire Middle East.
      It is a war in which working class youth are victims of the "economic
      draft" and pay the ultimate price. It is a war costing trillions of
      dollars needed to solve pressing social problems at home, rebuild the
      destruction in Iraq, and relieve hunger and poverty around the globe.

      3. The U.S. government's pursuit of "victory" in Iraq carries with it
      threats of expanding the war to Iran and enmeshing the entire region
      and beyond in even more conflicts and occupations. It is a war that
      has resulted in incalculable numbers of deaths and casualties of
      Iraqis, as well as their massive displacement. It is a war that
      promotes the transparently false and racist idea that Muslim and/or
      Arab people are not capable of organizing their own affairs.

      FOR IMMEDIATE WITHDRAWAL

      4. We call for the immediate, total and unconditional withdrawal of
      all U.S. military forces and contractors from Iraq, their return to
      the U.S., and closing of all U.S. military bases.

      FOR UNITED MASS ACTION IN THE STREETS

      5. We advocate and will help bring into being a massive, united,
      independent and democratic antiwar movement demanding "Bring the
      Troops Home Now!" and "End the Occupation Now!" Only a united antiwar
      movement that reaches deep into the fabric of American society and
      mobilizes the majority millions who oppose this war, from citizens to
      soldiers, from immigrants to the youth, to women and LGBT people, to
      people of all races and creeds, can force the U.S. government to bend
      to its will.

      6. We place our confidence in the people of the U.S. to challenge
      this war and reject the idea that promises by politicians will lead
      to an end to the slaughter in the absence of popular mass struggle.
      The history of all successful social struggles, from the fight
      against the Vietnam War to the fight for civil rights and the right
      of workers to organize collectively, is the history of the
      construction of independent mass movements that challenge the powers
      that be until their just cause is won.

      7. All polls show that a majority of the people in the U.S. oppose
      continuation of the war and occupation. Yet we must acknowledge that
      there exists a huge gap between those who oppose the war and those
      who are willing to take to the streets to express their opposition to
      it. We believe that a united movement can play a key role in closing
      this gap.

      8. It is self-evident that a united movement is a stronger movement.
      There is every reason for the movement to unite and no good reason
      for it to be divided. We believe that coalitions, organizations and
      groups with widely divergent views on a host of matters can and must
      come together to boldly challenge the warmakers and render the
      pursuit of this unjust war morally and socially indefensible and
      unsustainable.

      9. We reject presidential and congressional calls to "stay the
      course" in Iraq or proposals for timetables for withdrawal coupled
      with belligerent, saber-rattling threats against Iran. What a far cry
      that is from the clear clarion "Out Now!" demand of the antiwar movement!

      10. The brochure announcing this conference declares: "Everyone is
      welcome. The objective is to place on the agenda of the entire U.S.
      antiwar movement a proposal for the largest possible united mass
      mobilization(s) in the future to stop the war and end the
      occupation." It is in that spirit that we urge adoption of the
      actions proposed above.

      ------------------------------------

      Howdy,

      Thank you very much for sending this "Action Proposal" from the cc of
      the Nat'l Assembly to end the Iraq war and occupation. I found that the
      Assembly has published their Proposal on their official website, here,
      http://natassembly.org/
      and
      http://natassembly.org/uploads/docs/actionproposal.doc
      therefore we can now open this dialogue with the public.

      Please feel free to distribute and repost my comments and thoughts to
      whoever you think is appropriate, and to publish it in any medium,
      public forum, meeting, etc, wherever you judge it to be useful.

      * * *

      At first reading, the "Action Proposal" kind of sounds like "a good
      thing". But as soon as one realizes that the Proposal is coming from
      experienced and knowledgeable activists, all the lies and shameless
      hypocrisy fall to the side.

      The Proposal is a cowardly piece of what in forensic investigations is
      routinely referred to as "fecal matter".

      Where is there any mention of Direct Action? Of integrating organized
      and unorganized Labor directly into the anti-war effort?

      Where is there any recognition of the need to ask "Why has the Peace
      movement been a total failure so far?" Where is there any recognition of
      the need to actually do something different now, for a change, so that
      negative and disempowering influences on the movement will be countered
      and neutralized?

      Under the heading MOTIVATION, in the Proposal, the war is described as
      having been "initiated with an internationally discredited lie". But
      there's is no mention *specifically* that the lie is The Big Lie of the
      September 11 attacks, which has been proven beyond doubt to be an inside
      job, carried out by instruments of the global and US-based ruling class
      for their interests. The Big Lie of September 11 is the only reason that
      the US population has been cowered and shocked into going along with the
      "endless war" abroad and destruction of civil liberties at home. It's
      also one of the reasons that the US Peace movement is numb and
      emotionally incapable of moving forward.

      A Peace movement that is unwilling or unable to shake off the US Govt.
      propaganda about "foreign terrorists" stemming from September 11, will
      be unable to stop the war. It will remained numb and paralyzed.

      Furthermore, adding poisonous insult by the US Peace movement to the
      death, slaughter and injury already heaped upon the peoples of the world
      by the US Government, these activists try to make all of us into guilty
      parties by asking us to agree to this insane proposal:
      "In the event of a U.S. government attack on Iran or another major
      international crisis triggered by U.S. military action", say these
      serious activists, they will urge "most massive, united, protest action
      possible."

      What? Is there no recognition on behalf of these influential individuals
      that the US Peace movement has been for years sliding backward,
      "backwards ever" (Maurice Bishop might say), backwards into less and
      less effective and less efficient tactics? Is there no recognition that
      the anti-war movement, dominated by fake "Peace activists", keeps being
      the major recruiting ground for votes for the Dem-ago-cratic Party and
      that over the last few years the movement has degenerated into being and
      acting exclusively as that party's backyard and nothing else? Or is it
      *because* they recognise all this, that experienced and influential
      activists are proposing this pathetic display of anti-war "action"?

      Between five and fifteen *million* people marched against the war in the
      Spring of 2003 - within in the US itself, estimates range from one to
      two million, countrywide. Did it stop the US war machine?

      That is not of course an argument to stop marching, but to ESCALATE. To
      ESCALATE the range and type of actions in order to make it materially,
      practically, politically and financially difficult, and ultimately
      physically impossible for the US to conduct the war. The need is to
      ESCALATE, both in the sense of depth and magnitude of Direct Actions and
      also in the sense of Symbolic, Educational, Informational campaigns.

      The Action Proposal, coming from activists and organizers who know all
      this, is nothing but open, transparent and hideous treachery against the
      peoples of the world.

      I say shame on the US Peace movement for tolerating such leadership.
      Petros Evdokas
      member of the
      Belly of the Beast Collective,
      and
      September 11 Affinity Group
      http://petros-evdokas.cyprus-org.net/Another-sort-of-Introduction.html
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 5, 2008
        1984

        <snip>

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 5, 2008
          --- On Thu, 6/5/08, Maki Jaderborg <Makitk@...> wrote:

          Hello Maki,
          It seems that your part of the letter was lost. Please send again?

          Probably the machine at yahoo "ate it", if it was sent as html. Please send the letter in Plain Text.

          Looking forward to reading your thoughts,
          Thanks,
          Petros
          _________