Re: Religion and Spirituality

  • jonathanlobl
    Message 1 of 319 , Dec 5, 2000
      I regard this as a problem in confusing symbolism
      with external, objective reality. Do I believe in
      Mother Nature? She is usually depicted as a pegnant
      human female with flowers in her hair. No, I don't
      believe this entity exists. I do believe in the many
      forces of nature represented by her. This is many
      things: The air in my lungs, the life giving sunlight,
      the earthworms in the ground, etc. In general, I
      think this is the consensus. Mother Nature is
      symbolism. When we turn to God, somehow things change.
      Suddenly we are expected to believe the Being/Supreme
      Being is literal. That HE has external objective
      existence. The spiritual forces represented by God are real
      enough. I just don't like being traped by poetic imagry.
      If it works for others, that's their business. It
      does not work for me.<br><br>It's not just a question
      of intellectual nitpicking. When God is taken as
      literal, we have an entity, or at least churches, that
      expects obedience, and trys to run everybody's life. You
      know the rest of it. One God, One Creed, One Way,
      Adnauseum.<br><br>Jonathan
    • petros_evdokas
      Message 319 of 319 , Mar 6, 2002
        Friends,<br><br>Yahoo is beginning to act on
        their intent to merge the yahoo -clubs and yahoo
        -groups services, and this means we might be in for a
        bumpy ride for a few days. Please bear with us as we
        try to sort through the (inevitable) troubles this
        might cause.<br> <br>If problems arise, please write
        directly to this address petrosarbee@... , and
        please accept apologies in advance if you don�t receive
        an immediate response - please asssume that we�re
        already working on the