Re: Jesus is the Antichrist!

  • illowaprof
    Message 1 of 319 , Sep 30, 2000
      Sue, to remove religion and keep God is something
      akin to "military intelligence", if the military were
      intelligent it would not exist. If there were no religion
      within a very short time God would become a cultural
      ancronism, sort of like Apollo, something with no meaning
      today and having no effect or affect on
      people.<br><br>If you remove religion and the "golden rule" it
      becomes "do what you damn well please and it it hurts
      someone else, too damn bad".<br><br>You can have that
      type of world, I don't want any part of it.<br><br>If
      each person tries to build their own God construct,
      based on a total lack of information or tradition you
      will run into the same problems that humans have faced
      in the past when humans created their own gods.
      Hitler and Stalin were gods to their people, so was
      Nero.<br><br>Mankink came from a majical understanding of the world to
      an understanding that there were forces and laws in
      the universe which he could not control, so he called
      these forces gods. As time went on the
      interrelationship of the forces was better understood so we had to
      develop an explanation for this and we created the Greek
      Pantheon (one example) were the gods were related and
      worked together or fought eachother in an
      anthropromorphic attempt to explain the observed reality. One god
      became the boss of the gods in Rome, Jupiter. It was
      only a small jump from having on god incharge to
      deciding to do away with all of the other gods and have
      God.<br><br>Each of these steps took a long time. I do not see
      where ther is too much of a push on the part of the
      people to replace God with humanity, and loose the
      trancendence, the "bigger than me" from our lives.<br><br>"I
      cannot prevent a flood, but maybe, if I pray to God, He
      will." Is something you will hear all the time, even
      from people who have little formal religious
      training.<br><br>The only chance a person has of redemption is to seek
      a power higher than himself. AA has shown this for
      more than a half a century, the religions of the world
      have shown this for thousands of years. If there is
      not something bigger than the individual there is no
      need for the individual to try to please that thing.
      When you replace God with Hitler or Communism, or
      Capitalism on gets a very distorted religion.<br><br>God
      must be there for humans, as part of their reality,
      even if God does not actually exist. The fact that God
      really exists, regardless of the actuality is what is
      important.<br><br>So, what are you planing to replace the construct of
      God with?<br><br>There is a saying: "Be careful of
      what you wish for, you just might get it." Take what
      you propose, carry it out to the most absurd extreme
      and see what happens to it. Mankind can bend anything
      beyond that what anticipated.<br><br>When the church
      became more important than God the church instituted all
      kind of evil on mankind. Even today, in some places,
      the church claims to be the master of the people.
      Take a look there, see the poverty of the people, not
      just in money, but more importantly, in
    • petros_evdokas
      Message 319 of 319 , Mar 6, 2002
        Friends,<br><br>Yahoo is beginning to act on
        their intent to merge the yahoo -clubs and yahoo
        -groups services, and this means we might be in for a
        bumpy ride for a few days. Please bear with us as we
        try to sort through the (inevitable) troubles this
        might cause.<br> <br>If problems arise, please write
        directly to this address petrosarbee@... , and
        please accept apologies in advance if you don�t receive
        an immediate response - please asssume that we�re
        already working on the