News that makes me sick

  • Herman R. Willett
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 31, 2005
      Article <http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051101/ap_on_re_us/methodists_gays>

      By LUCAS L. JOHNSON II, Associated Press Writer Mon Oct 31, 9:36 PM ET

      NASHVILLE, Tenn. - A lesbian minister was defrocked Monday by the
      highest court within the United Methodist Church, which found that she
      violated the denomination's ban on "self-avowed, practicing homosexual"
      clergy.

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 1, 2005
        --- "Herman R. Willett"
        <herman@...> wrote:

        > Article

        <http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051101/ap_on_re_us/methodists_gays>

        > By LUCAS L. JOHNSON II, Associated Press Writer Mon
        > Oct 31, 9:36 PM ET
        >
        > NASHVILLE, Tenn. - A lesbian minister was defrocked
        > Monday by the highest court within the United
        > Methodist Church, which found that she violated the
        > denomination's ban on "self-avowed, practicing
        > homosexual" clergy.
        > -------

        Hello Herman,

        Thanks for sending us this. I was just getting ready
        to send it to the group as well.

        I feel some items which are important to note about
        the case are the following:

        - the same Church Court also reinstated a pastor who
        had been suspended for denying church membership to a
        gay man.

        - these two decisions were made by the nine-member
        Judicial Council, which is the highest Church Court
        body of the United Methodist Church.

        - the media reports on the matter keep confusing the
        words "law" and "court" (purposefully?) in such a way
        that it's difficult for the casual reaader to know if
        they're talking about Church Laws and Courts, or the
        laws of the State, ie those of civil society. To be
        sure, every single one of these discrimination
        practices by Churches and their "Courts" are clear
        violations of the US Constitution, which allows the
        Churches to operate freely only as long as they are
        open to everyone. How would it be if they said "god
        told us to admit no black people"?

        For those interested in reading media reports on the
        case - choose your favourite source here:
        http://tinyurl
        or here:
        http://news.google.com/nwshp?hl=en&tab=wn&ncl=http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/01/national/01methodists.html%3Fhp%26ex%3D1130821200%26en%3D1d078083e52cf27e%26ei%3D5094%26partner%3Dhomepage

        Thanks,
        Petros
        --------

        __________________________________
        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 1, 2005
          And this is why I keep sayin that it is past-due time for ALL the opprest ( gays,cannabis consumers,peace activists,etc.) to come together under one big tent and have a good old-fashioned civil-rights movement!! We need a Rosa Parks TODAY!!

          Petros Evdokas <ttetpos@...> wrote:

          --- "Herman R. Willett"
          <herman@...> wrote:

          > Article

          <http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051101/ap_on_re_us/methodists_gays>

          > By LUCAS L. JOHNSON II, Associated Press Writer Mon
          > Oct 31, 9:36 PM ET
          >
          > NASHVILLE, Tenn. - A lesbian minister was defrocked
          > Monday by the highest court within the United
          > Methodist Church, which found that she violated the
          > denomination's ban on "self-avowed, practicing
          > homosexual" clergy.
          > -------

          Hello Herman,

          Thanks for sending us this. I was just getting ready
          to send it to the group as well.

          I feel some items which are important to note about
          the case are the following:

          - the same Church Court also reinstated a pastor who
          had been suspended for denying church membership to a
          gay man.

          - these two decisions were made by the nine-member
          Judicial Council, which is the highest Church Court
          body of the United Methodist Church.

          - the media reports on the matter keep confusing the
          words "law" and "court" (purposefully?) in such a way
          that it's difficult for the casual reaader to know if
          they're talking about Church Laws and Courts, or the
          laws of the State, ie those of civil society. To be
          sure, every single one of these discrimination
          practices by Churches and their "Courts" are clear
          violations of the US Constitution, which allows the
          Churches to operate freely only as long as they are
          open to everyone. How would it be if they said "god
          told us to admit no black people"?

          For those interested in reading media reports on the
          case - choose your favourite source here:
          http://tinyurl
          or here:
          http://news.google.com/nwshp?hl=en&tab=wn&ncl=http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/01/national/01methodists.html%3Fhp%26ex%3D1130821200%26en%3D1d078083e52cf27e%26ei%3D5094%26partner%3Dhomepage

          Thanks,
          Petros
          --------

          Rev.Steven B.Thompson,Director

          GENESIS 1; 11,12: And God said,"Let the earth burst forth with every sort of grass and seed-bearing plant." And so it was,and God was pleased.
          GENESIS 1; 29,31: "And look! I have given you the seed-bearing plants throughout the earth for your food." Then God looked over all that he had made,and it was excellent in every way.
          Taken from "THE LIVING BIBLE"

        • Darklady
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 2, 2005

            > Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 07:33:28 -0800 (PST)
            > From: "Rev. Steven B. Thompson" <BenziecountyNORML@...>
            >Subject: Re: News that makes me sick
            >
            >And this is why I keep sayin that it is past-due time for ALL the opprest ( gays,cannabis consumers,peace activists,etc.) to come together under one big tent and have a good old-fashioned civil-rights movement!! We need a Rosa Parks TODAY!!

            First off, Rosa Parks' behavior wasn't the spontaneous
            act of a single woman, it was a planned and prepared for civil protest
            -- so the best thing to do if you want something like that is to become
            a planner or join a group that's planning.

            Secondly, there are Rosa Parks all around you. Many of
            us are engaged in coalition building, civil disobedience, peaceful
            protest, artistic expression of controversial ideas, etc. Join with
            others and build that movement.

            -- Theresa
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 3, 2005
              That would be NORML & MPP for me and "yes",I am very involved! Good to hear from you,darklady.

              Darklady <darklady@...> wrote:U

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 3, 2005
                Thank you, both
                Re: [Universal_Life_Church] / Re: News that makes me
                sick

                Friends,
                Hello,

                I've done a little editing of this recent strand of
                our dialogue, partly because I want to underline some
                of the great truths expressed by both Darklady/
                Theresa and by Rev. Steven, and also because I want to
                thank you, Theresa and Steven, for helping us
                re-orient ourselves to a certain approach.

                Some more of my thoughts follow below these quotes:

                Rev. Steven B. Thompson wrote:
                "That would be NORML & MPP for me and "yes",I am very
                involved! Good to hear from you,darklady."

                * * *

                Theresa's and Steven's writings above contain several
                lifetimes' worth of social activist/ community
                organizer wisdom embedded in just a few lines. Thank
                you so much - I hope we can pursue a little more along
                these themes together.

                I happen to know that you're both involved in sections
                ("wings") of the Liberation Movement, doing excellent
                work to promote the cause of human development, the
                freedom of all living beings, and the promotion of a
                higher consciousness.

                There are many people within the Universal Live Church
                who honestly and genuinely want to help our local and
                global society progress and move forward, and wish to
                do this by going beyond "churchy" dogmas, beyond
                mindless and manipulative politics, and to offer true
                service to community and to the Divine. But most of
                our people are deprived of activists tools or
                knowledge or practical experience to do this, and
                often end up demoralized or worse, killed, imprisoned,
                neutralized in one way or another either financially,
                or physically, or by burning out emotionally and
                feeling wasted.

                The wisdom gathered by generations of community
                activists on "how to do it" is rare and precious.
                Perhaps we can find ways to embrace some of it within
                our ranks through these dialogues and hope that it can
                help infuse the work of our people with better tools,
                more efficient approaches, a deeper scope to the work?

                Anyone have any inspirations on what might be good way
                to approach this?

                I'd be very happy to contribute to a dialogue on these
                matters.

                Thanks again,
                Petros
                -----------

                __________________________________
                http://farechase.yahoo.com
              • Alan E. Fuller
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 3, 2005
                  >>if you want something like that is to become
                  a planner or join a group that's planning<<

                  I run a Pagan group that follows a particular original belief system, and is revolting against the status quo ... and I am involved in lots of Gay Rights Activism ... reason being: I'm gay and I want the same rights every other American has, though they be few and far between right now.

                  In the light and love of Spirit,
                  Alan
                  www.alanfuller.com
                  That would be NORML & MPP for me and "yes",I am very involved! Good to hear from you,darklady.

                  Darklady <darklady@...> wrote:U

                  > Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 07:33:28 -0800 (PST)
                  > From: "Rev. Steven B. Thompson" <BenziecountyNORML@...>
                  >Subject: Re: News that makes me sick
                  >
                  >And this is why I keep sayin that it is past-due time for ALL the opprest ( gays,cannabis consumers,peace activists,etc.) to come together under one big tent and have a good old-fashioned civil-rights movement!! We need a Rosa Parks TODAY!!

                  First off, Rosa Parks' behavior wasn't the spontaneous
                  act of a single woman, it was a planned and prepared for civil protest
                  -- so the best thing to do if you want something like that is to become
                  a planner or join a group that's planning.

                  Secondly, there are Rosa Parks all around you. Many of
                  us are engaged in coalition building, civil disobedience, peaceful
                  protest, artistic expression of controversial ideas, etc. Join with
                  others and build that movement.

                  -- Theresa

                  Rev.Steven B.Thompson,Director

                  GENESIS 1; 11,12: And God said,"Let the earth burst forth with every sort of grass and seed-bearing plant." And so it was,and God was pleased.
                  GENESIS 1; 29,31: "And look! I have given you the seed-bearing plants throughout the earth for your food." Then God looked over all that he had made,and it was excellent in every way.
                  Taken from "THE LIVING BIBLE"

                  Jehovah witness beliefs

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 4, 2005
                    Petros,you have hit it right on the nail-head and I do want to pursue this further when I have more time.Right now,I am knee-deep in our medical cannabis proposal here to be voted on Tuesday.
                    Inspiration.....when I was young,I wanted to change the world for the better.....as I got older,I realized that I had to first change myself (I gave my heart to Jesus in 1978). Since then,God has showed me that if you want to make the world a better place,you start in your own back yard and work with people on a one to one basis and let him take care of the rest. He also showed me in 2000 that defending his plant was my calling. Now at almost 58 (my birthday is Saturday) I know beyond a reasonable shadow of doubt that I am not perfect.....I am only forgivin and I will do my very best to live my life by what Jesus taught. More later.

                    Rev. Steven B. Thompson wrote:
[...]

                    Universal life quote Variable universal life Beyond belief Jehovah witness beliefs

                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 4, 2005
                      Alan,
                      We have a very active member in Michigan NORML who is transgender and many of us are contributing to her operation. Many of us first met her when she was still a man.
                      And here in Benzie County NORML,we have a wonderful lesbian couple who are very dear friends of mine and two of our founding members practice Wicca. I also have two male family friends that are partners and very sucessful in their fields. Just wanted to share with you....have a great day!

                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 4, 2005
                        --- "Alan E. Fuller" <alan@...> wrote:

                        > I run a Pagan group that follows a particular
                        > original belief system, and is revolting against the
                        > status quo ...

                        You're right, the status quo *is* revolting...
                        Petros
                        -------

                        http://farechase.yahoo.com