Why Spirituality? Ask George Carlin

  • revapril
    Message 1 of 319 , Aug 15, 2000
      Someone sent me this a few weeks ago. It seems to
      address what people are sick of and why they are looking
      in history is that we have taller buildings, but
      shorter tempers; wider freeways, but narrower viewpoints.
      We spend more, but have less; we buy more, but enjoy
      it less. We have bigger houses and smaller families;
      more conveniences, but less time; we have more
      degrees, but less sense; more knowledge, but less
      judgment; more experts, but more problems; more medicine,
      but less wellness. We drink too much, smoke too much,
      spend too recklessly, laugh too little, drive too fast,
      get too angry too quickly, stay up too late, get up
      too tired, read too seldom, watch TV too much, and
      pray too seldom. We have multiplied our possessions,
      but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too
      seldom, and hate too often. We've learned how to make a
      living, but not a life; we've added years to life, not
      life to years. We've been all the way to the moon and
      back, but have trouble crossing the street to meet the
      new neighbor. We've conquered outer space, but not
      inner space. We've done larger things, but not better
      things. We've cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul.
      We've split the atom, but not our prejudice. We write
      more, but learn less. We plan more, but accomplish
      less. We've learned to rush, but not to wait. We build
      more computers to hold more information to produce
      more copies than ever, but have less communication.
      These are the times of fast foods and slow digestion;
      tall men, and short character; steep profits, and
      shallow relationships. These are the times of world
      peace, but domestic warfare; more leisure, but less fun;
      more kinds of food, but less nutrition. These are days
      of two incomes, but more divorce; of fancier houses,
      but broken homes. These are days of quick trips,
      disposable diapers, throwaway morality, one-night stands,
      overweight bodies, and pills that do everything from cheer
      to quiet, to kill. It is a time when there is much
      in the show window and nothing in the stockroom; a
      time when technology can bring this letter to you, and
      a time when you can choose either to share this
      insight, or to just hit delete.<br><br> Sometimes I read
      this and say to myself God, this is so true other
      times I say wow, he must have had a really bad morning!
    • petros_evdokas
      Message 319 of 319 , Mar 6, 2002
        Friends,<br><br>Yahoo is beginning to act on
        their intent to merge the yahoo -clubs and yahoo
        -groups services, and this means we might be in for a
        bumpy ride for a few days. Please bear with us as we
        try to sort through the (inevitable) troubles this
        might cause.<br> <br>If problems arise, please write
        directly to this address petrosarbee@... , and
        please accept apologies in advance if you don�t receive
        an immediate response - please asssume that we�re
        already working on the