Re: Protect Marriage Equality in Michigan.

  • Steven Thompson
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29, 2004
      I agree,as a minister,that "hate" has no place in our state constitution,but I disagree that this is the only civil rights issue of our generation. We Cannabis (marijuana) users have been discriminated against,jailed,our children & possesions taken away,and even killed for our beliefs & use of this wonderful herb sense 1937,and yet this issue never seems to be taken seriously. For me,as a Christian,my Religious Freedoms are also violated,yet most of today's churches turn a deaf ear to this issue. Why is this? Over 755,000 people's lives were altered by arrest for simple possession just last year,the highest number yet,and still only a few speak out against it. We don't have to be "gay" ourselves to know that this proposal is wrong. In the same sense,you don't have to smoke pot to know that desciminating against those that do is wrong also. When will someone stand up for us? As for me,I will be traveling to Ann Arbor,Michigan on Tuesday and work the polls for Proposal C which if
      passed will allow sick people to use marijuana for mediciene if they choose to without fear of discrimination.
      Yours for a better and more equal tomorrow,
      Rev.Steven B. Thompson

      "Peter Schurman, MoveOn.org" <moveon-help@...> wrote:

      Dear MoveOn member in Michigan,

      As you prepare to vote, we'd like to highlight a key question that will be on the ballot.

      We urge you to vote "NO" on Proposal 2, which would rewrite the state constitution to deny marriage equality to same-sex couples.

      If America stands for anything, it stands for equal rights and opportunities for everyone. Throughout our history, we've struggled to guarantee that equality: by ending slavery; by securing voting rights for women; by banning racial segregation in all public places.

      Equality in marriage is the civil rights issue of our generation. We can't let anyone, or any group, be singled out for discrimination based on who they are or who they love.

      When two people make a deep personal commitment, taking responsibility for each other and doing all the work of marriage, they should be able to share in the legal benefits of marriage as well. These benefits include access to health care and medical decision-making for one's partner and children, parenting and immigration rights, inheritance, taxation, and Social Security benefits.

      This isn't a partisan issue, notwithstanding the right wing's support for this divisive measure. Former President Gerald Ford, a Republican, said this about same-sex couples and marriage: "I think they ought to be treated equally. Period."* Also, many major corporations, including Chrysler, Ford, and General Motors, offer health insurance and other benefits to their employees' same-sex partners.

      Proposal 2 is opposed by the Michigan AFL-CIO, Michigan ACLU, Michigan Education Association, Anti-Defamation League of Michigan, and the Association of Michigan Universities, by a broad coalition of religious leaders, and by Michigan's major newspapers.

      For more information on Proposal 2, see:

      We've attached links to editorials opposing Proposal 2 below.

      Hate has no place in Michigan's constitution. We urge you to support marriage equality for all, and vote NO on Proposal 2.

      Thank you, for all you do.

      - Carrie, Joan, Lee, Marika, Noah, Peter, and Wes
      The MoveOn.org Team
      October 28th, 2004

      P.S.: Here are a few key editorials:

      No on 2: Marriage ban is rooted in intolerance Detroit Free Press, October 6, 2004

      No on 2: Voters should reject gay marriage ban Detroit News, September 26, 2004

      No on 2: Don't endorse discrimination Lansing State Journal, October 17, 2004

      * Source: Detroit News: "Gerald Ford: Treat Gay Couples Equally", by Deb Price, 10/29/01.

      Subscription Management:
      This is a message from MoveOn.org. To remove yourself (Rev.Steven B. Thompson) from this list, please visit our subscription management page at:

      Do you Yahoo!?
      Yahoo! Mail � CNET Editors' Choice 2004. Tell them what you think.