ULC Seminary Announcement - Feb 2011

  • Rev. Paul E Jones
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2011

      This is the ULC Seminary Newsletter Announcement. To unsubscribe, click the link on the bottom of the page.
      "Doing That Which is Right"

      Happy Valentine's Day!

      (Made up holiday to sell candy and cards, but still fun.)
      Hello Rev. !
      Sorry I missed sending my announcement in January, but I've been working like very busy and very tired little worker bee over the last few months. One of the aspects of running a site like this that I'd more or less been ignoring is the whole idea of search engines. It used to be that since there were just a couple of us doing this (HQ, The Bookstore, the monastery, and us), that it really wasn't an issue. But since the monastery has bought up literally hundreds of domain names, where they can afford to hire people who do nothing but put sites up on all of those domains and work on getting high rankings, the rest of us are getting pushed off the grid. This has forced me to pay attention to that sort of stuff, when I'd rather be working on new programs, taking care of emails, etc. So for those of you who have sent me a course in the last couple of months (and I have more than a few), as well as those of you who feel I may be ignoring your emails, please accept my apologies. I'm not ignoring anyone; I'm just working 10-12 hours a day to get some of this other mundane stuff taken care of. On the plus side, I've got a couple of new things to announce.

      GIANT SALE - I was asked to put the Divinity degrees on sale, so all three are on sale through the month of February for $13.95. One month only and then they go back to their regular price.

      ARTICLE DIRECTORY - One the newest cool things that I decided to make is an Article Directory. I get sent a ton of really cool writings from ministers on a regular basis. I don't have time to read them all or post them all, but I still do think they should be shared. So... I created an article directory at http://www.ulcseminary.com. You can sign up and submit articles, sermons, ceremonies, etc. You can also include a link back to your own site. So it'll work for you to promote your own ministries, as well as share your good work. Please go check it out and start adding your work. Please spell-check it first, no profanity and, of course, only submit articles of quality that are yours to submit. There has been some pretty ugly-thinking ministers out there recently (well, one in particular) who have nothing positive to say. Kevin, Andre and I get emails about his antics all the time. We choose to ignore him, mostly. It has been one of those life lessons, lately. Some people are best left to their own craziness.

      There is a law of the Universe that I keep in mind whenever confronted by something that makes no sense. You can only change the the things that are yours. So own what's yours and let the rest go. Most importantly: If you can't change it/fix it, then it's not yours and it's not your problem. Simple as that. You can't fix someone else's problem, no matter how much you might want to. Can't be done.

      AFFILIATE PROGRAM - The affiliate program was something I launched in December, then promptly got overwhelmed by other things and didn't do much with it. Well, that's beginning to change. I've been working with two people who know a lot about affiliate marketing and they are going to be helping me get this puppy off the ground. I've added some banners already and I'm in the process of adding pages for all of the courses, plus categories of products (like a page of Christian materials, a page of our Pagan materials, a page of generally Spiritual materials, etc.) It takes awhile to write good ad copy, so it's slow going. If any of you are good at writing ad materials, please feel free to send me anything you have. Nick Federspiel wrote some great copy which I added to the Seminary Program page.

      The link is: http://www.ulcseminary.org/idevaffiliate/. It's brand new, so more things will be added as I go, and there may be a few bugs, but I think it's ready to rock and roll right now.
      • It's free to join
      • You get a $10 bonus just for signing up.
      • You earn money with every sale that comes through your link.
      • You can track the link 24/7 to check on sales and traffic.
      • You will get paid monthly.
      • If you send me the pages that you have the banner on, I will help promote them through the search engines, which will help increase your sales.

      You can put any or all of the links/banners, etc. on your website. I currently have several banners and some text links available, as well as a couple of html pages that you can put on your site. You can choose which banner(s) you like, depending on what products you want to market. Each banner takes you to a separate category in the store that sells only those items.

      NEW PROGRAMS - As I said earlier, I've been sent a bunch of new programs. I could use some help reading, editing and putting them into the pre-made templates. If you have more time than money and you have some minor skill in working with an HTML program (Dreamweaver, Frontpage, or whatever), as well as being pretty good at editing, then let me know. If you have interest in helping with any of the new courses, you'll get a degree for your efforts and my eternal gratitude. I have at least 4 courses that need to be read, checked for grammar and spelling, and dropped into an HTML template.

      EVENT DIRECTORY - The event directly has been getting a lot of use. It's a great place to list all of the weddings, funerals and other events that you are doing as a minister.

      Go to this page and you can input any and all of your weddings, funerals, handfastings, baby blessings/namings, etc. It will be recorded in our database for future reference. It won't be visible, but it can be retrieved if you ask. It's a great place to store and keep track of all the events that you've done. That way, if you're ever questioned, you have an independent record of the date and such and of the event. Like if someone asks you if you did so and so's wedding, you can email me to check the names.

      ADDING ORDINATION OPTION TO YOUR OWN SITE - Another thing you can add to your own site, along with the affiliate program, is the ability to ordain others through your site. I've created a form that you can copy and paste into the body of a page of your website and your visitors can ordain themselves using YOUR website. It's something great you can offer people at no cost and little effort for you. I'm considering adding that information to some of the affiliate program pages for you to add to your site. That way, people can come to your site, get ordained and order what they need. All of this is free for you and you can make some money for your ministry in the process.

      I put the code at http://www.ulcseminary.org/ordinationform.php You can put it in a column, like I did at http://www.ulcceremonies.com or you can put it on its own page. I think it is a great way to spread the word of ULC and you're giving you all the convenience of doing it right from your own site. There are also instructions to add a line to the code (cut and paste) so you will be notified whenever someone is ordained through your site. If you put the form on your site, send me a link and I'll check it out. :) Let me know if you have any problems and I can try to help. Please run a test on it to be sure it works properly.

      SPAM - INLCUDE A SUBJECT LINE PLEASE - The latest spam thing going out is to get emails from familiar addresses, but with no subject line. What that means is that if an email doesn't have a subject line, it will be deleted without being read. I'm sure I'm missing a few real ones that way, but to open all of them is very time-consuming, so please include a descriptive subject.

      If you're new to the Seminary, check out announcements from previous months at http://www.ulcseminary.org/announcements.php

      Warmly,
      Rev. Amy Long
      President of ULC Seminary