RE: [Unity_Games] Retro Night

  • Kornfeld, Lewis A
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 31, 2000
      I have stadium checkers, Masterpiece, and of course clue & risk.

      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 31, 2000

        "Walter Hunt [ext ]" wrote:

        > I realize it'd be far afield from Kramer, Knizia, etc., but would anyone be interested in a "Retro Games" night (or should I say, a "Dan Cashmore Games" night? :-)) You know, bring out stuff from your youth and play it.
        >
        > I'd like to play, but don't own
        > - Dark Tower
        > - Conspiracy
        > - Stop Thief
        >
        > I own, and would like to play
        > - Billionaire
        > - King Oil (I have two copies, and would donate one as an Oct. 7 door prize).
        > - Summit
        > - Bazaar, Stocks & Bonds, Twixt, other 3M titles
        >
        > As I say, we're not up to German games standards, but we'd play a lot of different games; few of these last more than 45-60 minutes, making them more appropriate for the Unity Games metric.
        >
        > Anyone interested?

      • Craig Massey
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 31, 2000
          If I were at MVGA I'd love to play some of these -
          Dark Tower being at the top of the list - King Oil
          too.

          With respect to the Door prizes for the event on the
          8th (do we have an official catching name for it?),
          what do we have in mind?

          --- "Walter Hunt [ext ]" <whunt@...> wrote:
          > I realize it'd be far afield from Kramer, Knizia,
          > etc., but would anyone be interested in a "Retro
          > Games" night (or should I say, a "Dan Cashmore
          > Games" night? :-)) You know, bring out stuff from
          > your youth and play it.
          >
          > I'd like to play, but don't own
          > - Dark Tower
          > - Conspiracy
          > - Stop Thief
          >
          > I own, and would like to play
          > - Billionaire
          > - King Oil (I have two copies, and would donate one
          > as an Oct. 7 door prize).
          > - Summit
          > - Bazaar, Stocks & Bonds, Twixt, other 3M titles
          >
          > As I say, we're not up to German games standards,
          > but we'd play a lot of different games; few of these
          > last more than 45-60 minutes, making them more
          > appropriate for the Unity Games metric.
          >
          > Anyone interested?
          >
          > ----------------------
          > Walter H. Hunt
          > Senior Technical Writer
          > VistaSource, Inc.
          > 114 Turnpike Rd., Westboro, MA 01581
          > whunt@...
          > (508) 870-0300 ext. 391
          >
          > millihelen (n.) -- That quantity of beauty required
          > to launch one ship.

          =====
          Craig W. Massey
          cwmassey@...

          http://mail.yahoo.com/
        • AndAgainMA@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 31, 2000
            Retro night is a great idea!

            The game that I would most like to play is Formula One. Did that game make it over here? Each player had, not only a little plastic car, but also... get this, Dave... a little cardboard dash with multiple dials with plastic hands. As well as a speedometer, there was a tyre wear gauge and a few others.

            Although I don't think I ever played it as a kid, I am currently bidding on Careers at eBay. A 1971 edition of that might fit into Retro Night well. So might the 1973 edition of Pit, complete with little orange bell...

            Andrew.
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 31, 2000
              > I'd like to play, but don't own
              > - Dark Tower
              > - Conspiracy
              > - Stop Thief
              >
              > I own, and would like to play
              > - Billionaire
              > - King Oil (I have two copies, and would donate one as an Oct. 7 door
              prize).
              > - Summit
              > - Bazaar, Stocks & Bonds, Twixt, other 3M titles

              I'm in. I've got some nice 3M stuff I'd love to try (yes, I know you have
              them as well - we have enough for a 3M game night easily). Also Stop Thief
              is available here :) Let's add Can't Stop to the list.

              I've also got some good quality classic games that I would love to play but
              don't think they fit in with the groups I game with right now. Mahjongg is
              one of my favorite games but I don't get much chance to play. Also
              Canasta/Samba (4 or 6 player) but these are traditional card games. I
              figure I have it pretty good with German games and so don't complain, but if
              anyone is ever interested in Mahjongg, let me know!

              dber@...
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 31, 2000
                Craig wrote:
                > With respect to the Door prizes for the event on the
                > 8th (do we have an official catching name for it?),
                > what do we have in mind?

                Unity Games I (that's roman numeral I of course). And I thought we decided
                it was the 7th (Saturday).

                dber@...
              • Kornfeld, Lewis A
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 31, 2000
                  NO make up your minds, is it Saturday or Sunday?

                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 31, 2000
                    Yes, I do have Church commitments. However my wife thought it would be a
                    great way to spend Sunday afternoon. We will not be there till around 14:00.

                    > NO make up your minds, is it Saturday or Sunday?

                    Well, it's marked on the calendar as the 8th (Sunday). I thought it was you
                    who couldn't make it due to church commitments (maybe that was Anton).
                    Anyway, since everyone else figured on the 8th and it's marked as the 8th,
                    then it shall be Oct 8th (Sunday).

                    dber@...

                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 31, 2000

                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 31, 2000
                        Lewis wrote:

                        > Yes, I do have Church commitments. However my wife thought it would be a
                        > great way to spend Sunday afternoon. We will not be there till around
                        14:00.

                        Excellent. That way I won't have to alter my Saturday gaming.

                        Sunday the 8th is fine...

                        I wonder if anyone has anyone invited anyone yet? I assume everyone on this
                        list knows they are invited. I'll send out a few specific invites over the
                        weekend to people I know that might be interested. I'll be happy to take
                        private emails from people if they think they can attend so we can get an
                        approximate count of people who can go (and when they think they can
                        arrive). Walter, when is the earliest we want to start? 10AM?

                        dber@...
                      • Walter Hunt [ext ]
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 31, 2000
                          > Sunday the 8th is fine...
                          >
                          > I wonder if anyone has anyone invited anyone yet? I assume everyone on this
                          > list knows they are invited. I'll send out a few specific invites over the
                          > weekend to people I know that might be interested. I'll be happy to take
                          > private emails from people if they think they can attend so we can get an
                          > approximate count of people who can go (and when they think they can
                          > arrive). Walter, when is the earliest we want to start? 10AM?

                          I will be on site at 8 AM to set up, and could use one or two people to help. We need
                          to make sure the hall is set up (tables, chairs); that the kitchen is clear; and that we have
                          a sign-in table in the foyer.

                          We'll discuss logistics tonight, looks like.

                          I've been assuming that we'd established 10/7 as the date, but I'm amenable to the change.

                          ----------------------

                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 31, 2000
                            I invited Rodney Fernald from Battle Group Boston. He is big fan Of Settlers
                            & Tikal.

                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 31, 2000
                              Walter wrote:

                              > I've been assuming that we'd established 10/7 as the date, but I'm
                              amenable to the change.

                              OK- let's stick with the 8th as most people seemed to have in their minds.
                              We can talk a bit about it tonight.

                              dber@...