Re: [Unity_Games] Re: La Citta

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2000
      > Craig wrote:
      > I'm in all likelyhood getting a copy soon. I haven't
      > played it, but taken a thorough read of the rules at
      > Origins and it holds my interest for a couple of
      > reasons. One is it does play a bit longer which is a
      > good thing for my group in Malden which like longer
      > games and two it feels to be deeper than the shorter
      > german game - also a plus for my Malden group.
      > Although I wouldn't mind getting in a playing of it
      > before the game arrives either.

      As an aside - the Rio Grande version is in stock at Boulder and Funagain
      (along with Hare and Tortoise). At Boulder, the original Kosmos edition is
      actually slightly cheaper. Jim often seems to be doing this to get rid of
      the German inventory since mostly people here in the US will ask for the
      English edition - which is nice because it keeps Jay Tummelson bringing
      these fine games here. Jay appears so proud to have Java coming in
      October - he has let slip a little about the game recently and it looks like
      fine cross between Tikal and Torres - laying tiles each turn and spending 6
      action points this time and with fewer options to choose from so it doesn't
      have the bog-down effect that Tikal can have. It also has some 3D building
      aspect on the hexes ala Torres (tiles can be built upon eachother which can
      change-up the board during gameplay). He claims it's being released in
      Essen but that he will have the Rio Grande edition out slightly *before*
      Essen which will also help him sell more copies. I've often commented that
      the delay it takes to get the Rio Grande games to market can cause loss of
      sales since people will often not wait and will buy the German editions. I
      know Jay is only producing games in quantity 2500 (or so) and hopes to sell
      that many copies in a year and even a few extra sales can go a long way to
      ensuring that he continues to bring the best games to the US market.

      dber@...