RE: [Unity_Games] 1825 = Pain

  • Matthew Horn
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 5, 2001
      How does Stephenson's Rocket compare to the 18xx genre?

      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 5, 2001
        >> I have played and enjoyed 1830,1845,1856 & 1870. There are games that
        are so bad that playing them is a painful experience - Supremacy,
        Spies. 1825 is one of them.

        I like Supremacy. Of course I haven't played it in 10 or 12 years, so I
        won't defend it too fervently, but I used to play it a lot and really
        enjoyed it. Anybody ever play GOOTMU? Now THAT is a painful experience.

        Sean

      • Kornfeld, Lewis A
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 5, 2001
          Good question. I think Stephenson Rocket is alot closer to an 18xx game than
          any thing in the Empire Builder series. However Stephenson Rocket reminds me
          of a cross between Acquire and Union Pacific. Yes it has Stock, and the
          players acquire stock shares during the game but you don't buy stock, you
          get stock by placing a track tile on a particular rail line, but you only
          get a share of stock from the rail line you added on to. And like Union
          Pacific you get money during the game but never spend it. Like Acquire the
          rail lines or companies can merge together which is unavoidable given 7
          railroads all heading towards the middle of the board trying to reach as
          many cities as possible and get to each city first. In 18xx the railroads
          never merge except in 1870, and you buy and sell the stock shares and you
          can buy any available stock. Money is earned from stock dividends. In
          Stephenson Rocket money is earned when train lines reach city's or when
          railroads merge. Maybe if you don't like 18xx you will like Stephenson
          Rocket. It is definitely shorter.

          Matt wrote:
          >> I suggest Iron Dragon, which I played once and mildly enjoyed. Although I
          have never played the 18xx games, Iron Dragon is considered one of the train
          games and from what I understand it has most of the feel of those games. It
          was short-ish (a little under 3 hours or so) and flavorful.

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=178320.1681224.3270152.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050528
          96:HM/A=879172/R=0/*http://www.fastweb.com/ib/yahoo-75f>

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=178320.1681224.3270152.1261774/D=egroupmai
          l/S=1705052896:HM/A=879172/rand=223125848>

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        • dhmiller1958
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 5, 2001
            --- In Unity_Games@y..., "Kornfeld, Lewis A" <Lewis.A.Kornfeld@i...>
            wrote:
            > If your looking for something
            > similar to an 18xx railroad game may be you want to investigate
            Northwest
            > Rails by Gandy Dancer Games. I think Walter Hunt has played it.

            We played Northwest Rails at MVGA a few weeks ago. It is not really
            an 18xx game. While you do buy stock in RR's, you are basically
            racing to complete point-to-point travel; completing such trips
            generates dividends to the stockholders of the RR's used. The
            board is fixed. The price of shares does float up and down in
            a semi-random way; you can force the price down a bit for someone
            else by selling but that seems to be a very minor aspect of the
            game. Not a bad game (though the components could use some sprucing
            up) but not 18xx.

            Dan Miller
          • david_bruce_cousins
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 6, 2001
              --- In Unity_Games@y..., "rombill" <rombill@y...> wrote:
              > Last Saturday Mark, Bob S. and I played Francis Tresham's 1825.

              > There was nothing about the game that was fun or challenging.

              > I have played and enjoyed 1830,1845,1856 & 1870. There are games
              that
              > are so bad that playing them is a painful experience - Supremacy,
              > Spies. 1825 is one of them. What a waste of time.

              I am honored to have brought the copy of "Spies" that holds such a
              place of honor on your sh*t list. The funny thing was, we were playing
              the "short" game.

              As for Iron Dragon, it is probably one of the more complex of the
              crayon games. I have EuroRails, which is a nice set, as is Empire
              Builder. However, it can get dull.

              There is a train game called "Puffer Billy" that might be your speed.

              PS: anyone want to buy a copy of "Spies"?

              Dave