Re: [Unity_Games] Re: Any action at B2O last night?

  • Adam Smiles
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2001
      This is definitely not a full report.

      I started with Acquire against, Brian, Matt, and Ryan. My first win at this
      game, beating Ryan by about 2 grand. We played the old AH bookcase game,
      which was the recipient of much trash talk at the beginning of the game.

      I believe there were games of Torres and Through the Desert at other tables
      while this was played.

      After this we played a few rounds of Set until Kelli and Campbell arrived.
      Upon which we started Advanced Civ. There were 6 of us Campbell-Illyria,
      Greg-Thrace, Matt-Crete, Me-Assyria, Kelli-Babylon, Ryan-Egypt. Ryan and
      Matt are out to big leads and got hammered by several calamities in a row.
      We got though about 10 turns and recorded the info for conituation at the
      next session.

      I really have no idea whatelse was played while Civ was going on.

      After Civ, we played a quick game of Carcassone, as no one really had much
      left in them after Civ. I beat Ryan by 1 point. Other players: Kelli,
      Campbell and Al.

      After this we finished up with a few hands of Set and called it a night at
      2:30 or so.
      Much thanks to Dave and Scholars for hosting.

      -Adam

      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2001
        Another good night at B2O. Roll Call: Terry, Matt H,
        Greg, Kelli, Campbell, David F, David, Scott A, Adam,
        Ryan, Al,

        I arrived to find a game of Torres happening, I
        unfortunately have no details on this one, as I was
        quickly pulled into...

        Acquire, which was just starting as I came in (as Adam
        mentioned) and I jumped in with Matt, Adam, and Ryan.
        All I need to say is OUCH. I got rather handily
        trounced.

        The Civ game began shortly after the Acquire game
        ended, as the remaining players (Kelli and Campbell)
        had arrived. They took over the good table, and I
        didn't really speak to them much the rest of the
        night. ;>

        Those of us not playing Civ (Terry, David, David F,
        Scott A, Al, and Brian) floundered about for 6 player
        games and came up with...

        Modern Art: I know, it doesn't say 6, but David F.
        mentioned he had heard of it being played with 6
        before. We ended up dealing 7 card starting hands with
        2 more in the second and third rounds. Money was
        flowing freely this game, and most of it was headed
        for Terry and Scott A. Al had some cash thanks to
        some ridiculously high priced sales and a knack for
        picking a solid finisher. David F and I, on the other
        hand, were not having a good night. The other David
        did pretty well and finished in the middle of the
        pack, supported by myself and David F in the last two
        slots. Scott A. ended up taking the win with somewhere
        around 440K.

        Draco & Co.: In need of another six player, David F.
        suggested we give one of his recent purchases a try.
        David F had read the rules before, and I gave them a
        quick read (not that there's a lot to read....) and
        after a quick explanation, the drinking began. For
        those unfamiliar with the game, the theme is that you
        control characters that are drinking with master bad
        guy Draco. When someone calls for a toast, Draco
        throws money out to those on his good side, and takes
        money from those on his bad side. The game consists of
        playing an action card on your turn that moves your
        characters around the circular "table" closer to
        Draco's good side and your enemies closer to his bad
        side. Some action cards, however, flip Draco over,
        reversing his good and bad sides. David F. had
        mentioned he thought it had a bit of Guillotine feel
        to it, and I could definitely see that, since moving
        your characters followed similar patterns to that of
        moving nobles in line in Guillotine. There doesn't
        seem to be many good reasons not to call a toast
        whenever you can. (There's only one per round of
        players, as the "goblet" is taken out of play when
        someone toasts and not returned until the end of that
        persons NEXT turn.) I'll definitely play this again as
        I tend to like light, chaotic games now and then, but
        I'm not sure how wide an audience this game has/will
        have.

        After Draco David F and Terry said farewell, as it
        was getting late. The remaining four, David, Scott A.,
        Al, and myself, decided, at Scott A's suggestion to
        give a "classic" a shot and we sat down for:

        Scotland Yard: Scott A, David, and Brian took on the
        role of the UK's finest and Al put on his evil shoes
        and became Mr. X. We played using both of the
        Advanced rules in the back of the manual, where Mr. X
        can't pass "over" a detective and Mr. X can reveal his
        location on any turn and take one ticket of a single
        type from each of the detectives. Fortunately, the
        detectives got starting positions in three different
        quadrants, relatively close to underground stations.
        When Mr. X revealed himself on his third move, the
        detectives were able to zero in on the quadrant
        quickly. Mr. X was smarter than that, however and with
        clever use of his double move tokens and black
        tickets, managed to evade capature for many more
        turns. In the end, however, as in all things, good
        triumphed and Mr. X was apprehended. I believe he was
        somewhere around the 20th move at the time.

        At this point, it was just past midnight and I decided
        to call it a night.

        Thanks to Adam for reporting on the rest of the
        session!

        Another great night at B2O. I'm very happy to see the
        session doing so well, and I hope everyone continues
        to have fun!

        Brian

        http://shopping.yahoo.com