Re: Any action at B2O last night?

  • ScottH.
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2001
      Just wondering how things went since I missed out on being there.
      Although I did consider dropping in at midnight, I figured all that
      would be left would be the dedicated crew of Adv. Civ. players.
      ScottH.
    • Adam Smiles
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2001
        This is definitely not a full report.

        I started with Acquire against, Brian, Matt, and Ryan. My first win at this
        game, beating Ryan by about 2 grand. We played the old AH bookcase game,
        which was the recipient of much trash talk at the beginning of the game.

        I believe there were games of Torres and Through the Desert at other tables
        while this was played.

        After this we played a few rounds of Set until Kelli and Campbell arrived.
        Upon which we started Advanced Civ. There were 6 of us Campbell-Illyria,
        Greg-Thrace, Matt-Crete, Me-Assyria, Kelli-Babylon, Ryan-Egypt. Ryan and
        Matt are out to big leads and got hammered by several calamities in a row.
        We got though about 10 turns and recorded the info for conituation at the
        next session.

        I really have no idea whatelse was played while Civ was going on.

        After Civ, we played a quick game of Carcassone, as no one really had much
        left in them after Civ. I beat Ryan by 1 point. Other players: Kelli,
        Campbell and Al.

        After this we finished up with a few hands of Set and called it a night at
        2:30 or so.
        Much thanks to Dave and Scholars for hosting.

        -Adam

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 1, 2001
          Another good night at B2O. Roll Call: Terry, Matt H,
          Greg, Kelli, Campbell, David F, David, Scott A, Adam,
          Ryan, Al,

          I arrived to find a game of Torres happening, I
          unfortunately have no details on this one, as I was
          quickly pulled into...

          Acquire, which was just starting as I came in (as Adam
          mentioned) and I jumped in with Matt, Adam, and Ryan.
          All I need to say is OUCH. I got rather handily
          trounced.

          The Civ game began shortly after the Acquire game
          ended, as the remaining players (Kelli and Campbell)
          had arrived. They took over the good table, and I
          didn't really speak to them much the rest of the
          night. ;>

          Those of us not playing Civ (Terry, David, David F,
          Scott A, Al, and Brian) floundered about for 6 player
          games and came up with...

          Modern Art: I know, it doesn't say 6, but David F.
          mentioned he had heard of it being played with 6
          before. We ended up dealing 7 card starting hands with
          2 more in the second and third rounds. Money was
          flowing freely this game, and most of it was headed
          for Terry and Scott A. Al had some cash thanks to
          some ridiculously high priced sales and a knack for
          picking a solid finisher. David F and I, on the other
          hand, were not having a good night. The other David
          did pretty well and finished in the middle of the
          pack, supported by myself and David F in the last two
          slots. Scott A. ended up taking the win with somewhere
          around 440K.

          Draco & Co.: In need of another six player, David F.
          suggested we give one of his recent purchases a try.
          David F had read the rules before, and I gave them a
          quick read (not that there's a lot to read....) and
          after a quick explanation, the drinking began. For
          those unfamiliar with the game, the theme is that you
          control characters that are drinking with master bad
          guy Draco. When someone calls for a toast, Draco
          throws money out to those on his good side, and takes
          money from those on his bad side. The game consists of
          playing an action card on your turn that moves your
          characters around the circular "table" closer to
          Draco's good side and your enemies closer to his bad
          side. Some action cards, however, flip Draco over,
          reversing his good and bad sides. David F. had
          mentioned he thought it had a bit of Guillotine feel
          to it, and I could definitely see that, since moving
          your characters followed similar patterns to that of
          moving nobles in line in Guillotine. There doesn't
          seem to be many good reasons not to call a toast
          whenever you can. (There's only one per round of
          players, as the "goblet" is taken out of play when
          someone toasts and not returned until the end of that
          persons NEXT turn.) I'll definitely play this again as
          I tend to like light, chaotic games now and then, but
          I'm not sure how wide an audience this game has/will
          have.

          After Draco David F and Terry said farewell, as it
          was getting late. The remaining four, David, Scott A.,
          Al, and myself, decided, at Scott A's suggestion to
          give a "classic" a shot and we sat down for:

          Scotland Yard: Scott A, David, and Brian took on the
          role of the UK's finest and Al put on his evil shoes
          and became Mr. X. We played using both of the
          Advanced rules in the back of the manual, where Mr. X
          can't pass "over" a detective and Mr. X can reveal his
          location on any turn and take one ticket of a single
          type from each of the detectives. Fortunately, the
          detectives got starting positions in three different
          quadrants, relatively close to underground stations.
          When Mr. X revealed himself on his third move, the
          detectives were able to zero in on the quadrant
          quickly. Mr. X was smarter than that, however and with
          clever use of his double move tokens and black
          tickets, managed to evade capature for many more
          turns. In the end, however, as in all things, good
          triumphed and Mr. X was apprehended. I believe he was
          somewhere around the 20th move at the time.

          At this point, it was just past midnight and I decided
          to call it a night.

          Thanks to Adam for reporting on the rest of the
          session!

          Another great night at B2O. I'm very happy to see the
          session doing so well, and I hope everyone continues
          to have fun!

          Brian

          http://shopping.yahoo.com