Danger Planet SR

  • Adam Smiles
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2001
      I went to Open Gaming at Danger Planet in Waltham last night and thought I'd
      throw up a quick session report.

      When I arrived, they were in the middle of explaining the rules the new Lord
      of the Rings game. I took the last seat and we played. The game had the
      typical interesting scoring and action mechanisms that I have come to expect
      from Knizia, but it left me feeling a little empty at the end. The game is
      essentially team solitaire. There is a fair amount of player interaction,
      but in the end its either everyone wins or everyone loses. I'd probably
      play it again, but I won't purchase it. We won on the beginner level, would
      probably have still won on the intermediate level and would have been
      crushed on the advance level.

      During LotR, our numbers grew to 7. The only game on hand that would
      accomodate that number was Apples to Apples. We played twice. I enjoyed
      the game but didn't fair very well, although my iceberg card was deemed most
      cuddly.

      Next we moved to Carcassone, with 5 players. I came very close to the win
      (within 7-8 points I think) and would have had the win had I a meeple left
      to play when I drew my cloister tile.

      We finished with Settlers of Catan with 4 players. A very close game. I
      think the final score was 10, 9, 9, 8. I had 9. We played with an
      interesting variant that I had not seen before. In order to win, you had to
      hold your 10 points for a full round of turns. So the other players had 1
      round to try and steal away longest road or largest army. I didn't think
      much of it when it was explained, but we ended up using this rule. One
      player got to ten and then we all pooled our resources and stole longest
      road away from him. He eventually won by building another city and
      settlement. I'm not sure the rule adds much and just lengthens the game.
      (ours took 2 hours). Has anyone else seen this variant or have any opinions
      about it.

      My thoughts on gaming at DP: there were probably a dozen or so gamers there
      (including magic players and wargamers). They seem to have a enough to play
      1 or 2 tables of designer games on most Thursdays. As a regular attendee at
      B2O and an occasional attendee at BLAH and SSG, I'm not sure how much more
      gaming I can fit in my schedule, but if I have another free Thursday, I'd
      proably stop by again, especially since I live 3 minutes away.

      -Adam