Re: [Unity_Games] Re: This Friday, on a very special B2O....

  • Mark Edwards
    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 28, 2001
      Wow! That looks like the same crowd we've got going in the pbem
      game. Which is good, because Friday is Festivus and when the Airing of
      Grievances ceremony starts I've got some things to say to all of you
      people!!! ;-)

      I'll bring my copy of the game including the Western Civ map and I'm
      already formulating a plan that'll spring me free for the night. Now if
      I can only summon the courage to execute it...

      Mark

      Campbell MacInnes wrote:

      > 1. Campbell
      > 2. Adam
      > 3. Matt
      > 4. Constantine
      > 5. Ryan (likely)
      > 6. Mark (if he gets permission)
      > 7. Kelli

      If you're interested in board games and are located in the Eastern Mass
      area, check out Unity Games!

      "Hey dad? ... wanna have a catch?"

    • Constantine von Hoffman
      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 28, 2001
        alas i think i'm going to have to pass as ryan/jeff/adam are staying til 2
        am or so and i will have long since turned into a pumpkin...

        At 04:53 PM 11/28/01 +0000, you wrote:
        >Hokay, I am getting something of a quorum here, and most ppl seem
        >inclined to a tight but long session. Here's my current list of
        >attendees (potential and otherwise):
        >
        >1. Campbell
        >2. Adam
        >3. Matt
        >4. Constantine
        >5. Ryan (likely)
        >6. Mark (if he gets permission)
        >7. Kelli
        >
        >If we can get a copy of the Western Expansion map (only copies I am
        >aware of are Mark's and Dave F's), then we can support 8. I have a
        >copy of the game, and at least one other copy is likely to arrive,
        >but it doesn't hurt to have more.
        >
        >Anyone else interested in playing?
        >
        >--Campbell

      • Jeff Miller
        Message 3 of 24 , Nov 28, 2001
          Don't fell bad, Constantine. I won't be there myself because I've got to
          work Sat. morning at 8:30am. I too have pumpkinitis.

          > alas i think i'm going to have to pass as ryan/jeff/adam are staying til 2
          > am or so and i will have long since turned into a pumpkin...
          >
          > At 04:53 PM 11/28/01 +0000, you wrote:
          >> Hokay, I am getting something of a quorum here, and most ppl seem
          >> inclined to a tight but long session. Here's my current list of
          >> attendees (potential and otherwise):
          >>
          >> 1. Campbell
          >> 2. Adam
          >> 3. Matt
          >> 4. Constantine
          >> 5. Ryan (likely)
          >> 6. Mark (if he gets permission)
          >> 7. Kelli
          >>
          >> If we can get a copy of the Western Expansion map (only copies I am
          >> aware of are Mark's and Dave F's), then we can support 8. I have a
          >> copy of the game, and at least one other copy is likely to arrive,
          >> but it doesn't hurt to have more.
          >>
          >> Anyone else interested in playing?
          >>
          >> --Campbell

          Jeff Miller, reporter
          Mass High Tech
          jmiller@...
          http://www.masshightech.com
          WE'VE MOVED. NEW CONTACT INFORMATION
          617.241.4334 (p)
          617.242.9373 (f)
          The Schrafft Center
          529 Main St., Suite 602
          Boston, MA 02129

          Subscribe to The Daily Tech Flash, a daily e-mail newsletter
          http://www.masshightech.com/enewslettersubscribe.asp
        • Richard Spoonts
          Message 4 of 24 , Nov 28, 2001
            Jeff,

            Your pumpkin is inflamed? That sounds horribly
            painful. ;-)

            Richard

            --- Jeff Miller <jmiller@...> wrote:
            > Don't fell bad, Constantine. I won't be there myself
            > because I've got to
            > work Sat. morning at 8:30am. I too have pumpkinitis.

            http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1
          • Jeff Miller
            Message 5 of 24 , Nov 28, 2001
              Ah Richard, you rogue. How would you respond if I told you it was terribly
              exhausting mounting and decorating our tree this weekend after travelling
              for the holidays?

              I shudder to think .... :-)

              --
              Jeff Miller
            • AlanRMoon@aol.com
              Message 6 of 24 , Nov 28, 2001
                In a message dated 11/28/01 2:30:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                jmiller@... writes:

                <<
                Ah Richard, you rogue. How would you respond if I told you it was terribly
                exhausting mounting and decorating our tree this weekend after travelling
                for the holidays?

                I shudder to think .... :-)

                >>Richard would probably stick on some pine cones and start bending in the
                wind.
              • ScottH.
                Message 7 of 24 , Nov 28, 2001
                  --- In Unity_Games@y..., David Fontes <dfontes@m...> wrote:
                  > I can bring my map, but probably won't be playing, assuming there
                  > are other
                  > people there willing to play some lighter fare.
                  > -David
                  I told the few there last week that I won't make it to B2O this
                  Friday. I still expect someone to write up a session report! By the
                  way last weeks session report was totally fueled by great records
                  kept all night by Kelli. What was really nice is her penmanship, I
                  usually can't decipher my own notes. Thanks Kelli!!!

                  ScottH.
                • Richard Spoonts
                  Message 8 of 24 , Nov 28, 2001
                    Jeff,

                    I would think that you have a lovely tree for the
                    holiday season.

                    :-)

                    Richard

                  • gstevens31@hotmail.com
                    Message 9 of 24 , Nov 28, 2001
                      I would like to join in for Advanced Civ if there is a spot open. I
                      am also in with Matt on the limited times for moves and trades.

                      -Greg

                    • gstevens31@hotmail.com
                      Message 10 of 24 , Nov 28, 2001
                        I would like to join in for Advanced Civ if there is a spot open. I
                        am also in with Matt on the limited times for moves and trades.

                        -Greg

                        --- In Unity_Games@y..., "Campbell MacInnes" <sennicam@d...> wrote:
                        > Hokay, I am getting something of a quorum here, and most ppl seem
                        > inclined to a tight but long session. Here's my current list of
                        > attendees (potential and otherwise):
                        >
                        > 1. Campbell
                        > 2. Adam
                        > 3. Matt
                        > 4. Constantine
                        > 5. Ryan (likely)
                        > 6. Mark (if he gets permission)
                        > 7. Kelli
                        >
                        > If we can get a copy of the Western Expansion map (only copies I am
                        > aware of are Mark's and Dave F's), then we can support 8. I have a
                        > copy of the game, and at least one other copy is likely to arrive,
                        > but it doesn't hurt to have more.
                        >
                        > Anyone else interested in playing?
                        >
                        > --Campbell
                      • Anthony Sciola
                        Message 11 of 24 , Nov 28, 2001
                          I'm discussing a (nauseatingly polite and friendly) 4 player game of
                          Advanced Civ I played with a couple friends last weekend. I was the
                          only one who'd played (once) before. Here's an excerpt of an email
                          from my friend analyzing the game:

                          actually, in the grand scheme of things, I didn't do very well. I had 0
                          cards at one point. then I picked up 9. at the end of that turn, I had 8
                          cards, including 3 gold. One turn later, I picked up 9 more cards, and
                          wound up with 5 gold, 3 cloth (I think), and garbage rounding out about 13
                          cards. So of two sets of 1-9s, the best I could do was 255 points for 5
                          gold, and 50ish points for 3 cloth. 300 points from two turns of getting
                          1-9 doesn't sound that great to me.

                          Now, I've only played twice but I still think getting a 300
                          point trade-in is an astonishingly high amount after two rounds of
                          trading (and no calamities - I managed to have picked up *three*
                          non-tradable calamities in that round) and never saw that in the
                          first game I played. I also thought my friend who traded him gold
                          *knowing* he had 3 in his hand already was insane.

                          Of course, I still won the abridged game (by 250 points). :)

                          Also, 3 of us were wondering if there's any strategy articles out
                          there for Advanced Civ that people have seen...

                          Anthony
                          --
                        • navtges@meditech.com
                          Message 12 of 24 , Nov 29, 2001
                            argh

                            I won't be able to make it this week but I officially volunteer to be
                            a "sub" for next week's exciting conclusion, "B2O: The Iron Age".

                            Let me know if you can't scrounge up a western extension map and I'll
                            drop mine off.

                            Nick
                          • Campbell MacInnes
                            Message 13 of 24 , Nov 29, 2001
                              I've never seen that many points in one trade-in for civ cards, but
                              then, I've never played a 4 player game either ;)

                              As to strategy articles, they are out there (on the web). There are
                              also several very good articles on strategy in the Advanced Civ
                              rulebook itself, surprisingly.

                              --Campbell

                            • navtges@meditech.com
                              Message 14 of 24 , Nov 29, 2001
                                --- In Unity_Games@y..., Anthony Sciola <acs@a...> wrote:
                                > I'm discussing a (nauseatingly polite and friendly) 4 player game
                                <stuff snipped>
                                > Now, I've only played twice but I still think getting a 300
                                > point trade-in is an astonishingly high amount
                                I think the really astonishing thing is him having 8 and 9 cities for
                                several turns in a row. If you're able to do that you can get a lot
                                of gold and ivory cards by buying them. Sounds like he may have
                                gotten luck with all gold cards at the top of the 9 pile. With only
                                4 players...how much of the map were you using? If everyone had all
                                the room they needed, then it would be simpler to keep up a lot of
                                cities, especially early in the game before any really nasty
                                calamities hit.

                                One particular evil strategy I like to do is hoard grain. By doing
                                so, the #4 calamities can come up repeatedly. This makes for a very
                                chaotic map, especially if once Civil War has come up for two or
                                three times. Plus the grain protects you from Famine, so it's easy
                                to rationalize holding on to it.

                                > Also, 3 of us were wondering if there's any strategy articles out
                                > there for Advanced Civ that people have seen...

                                I've got several Generals with interesting articles. The Advanced
                                Civ rulebook itself actually has a lot of good reading in it.

                                Nick
                              • asciola
                                Message 15 of 24 , Nov 29, 2001
                                  On Thu, 29 Nov 2001 navtges@... wrote:

                                  > I think the really astonishing thing is him having 8 and 9 cities for
                                  > several turns in a row.

                                  I actually was the leader in # of cities (hitting 8 for two turns,
                                  then 9, then drew three non-tradable calamities and ended up getting hit
                                  by Treachery and Civil War (which caused the same person to get 3 of my
                                  cities).

                                  > If you're able to do that you can get a lot
                                  > of gold and ivory cards by buying them.

                                  Unless you're my friend who bought Piracy as the 1st 9 card he'd
                                  gotten. ;)

                                  > With only
                                  > 4 players...how much of the map were you using?

                                  The 2.5 right panels (everything east of the Dardanelles). I think
                                  that provided exactly 9 city sites to each player.

                                  > One particular evil strategy I like to do is hoard grain. By doing
                                  > so, the #4 calamities can come up repeatedly. This makes for a very
                                  > chaotic map, especially if once Civil War has come up for two or
                                  > three times. Plus the grain protects you from Famine, so it's easy
                                  > to rationalize holding on to it.

                                  Hmm... Note to self: Hoard Grain. Of course, I'm already hording
                                  8s and 9s so there won't be a lot of space in my hand. I found not having
                                  any 1s and 2s can be bad. *sigh*

                                  > I've got several Generals with interesting articles. The Advanced
                                  > Civ rulebook itself actually has a lot of good reading in it.

                                  Good, no one knows of any online. I'd feel honor bound to tell my
                                  friends where they could read online but since I'm the only one with a
                                  manual, I can keep the knowledge for myself. ;)

                                  Anthony
                                • Mark Edwards
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Nov 29, 2001
                                    It looks like I'm out for tomorrow as my wife has come down with
                                    something. So unless she makes a miraculous recovery between now and
                                    tomorrow night I'll be sitting at home with the kids. Disappointed!

                                    Mark