SR: GSG 11/20

  • Mark Edwards
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 26, 2001
      Sorry for the delay in getting out this SR, I know how you guys eagerly
      await these each week! ;-)

      Roll Call: Bob, Dan, Dave C and Mark

      Acquire:
      Bob and Dan hammered on this till Dave and I finally acquiesced. So
      don't blame me, I was pushing Rheinlander.
      With only Dan as my real competition (I love trash talk during a
      SR!) I cruised to an easy victory. Actually Dan was closer than I
      expected given that he was shut out of mergers for a bit. But he backed
      a wrong horse or two (did Continental EVER merge) and Bob and Dave were
      never factors. Which was kind of odd in that Dave seemed to have all
      the merger tiles. But I think he's not much of an Acquire fan, and
      hadn't played in quite awhile and/or wasn't quite sure of the
      strategies. On top of that I followed him in turn play and continually
      reformed chains due to luck of the tile.

      Hell Rail:
      Dave brought this along and we dug in. Nothing too fancy to learn
      and we were off and running in no time. The theme is quite fun and we
      had plenty of laughs with it. I seemed to get a little luckier than
      most and ran away with this one too. I wasn't enamored with the game
      play and the production values were a bit limited (can they make those
      trains any smaller?) but everyone had fun and I'd play it again.

      Knights:
      A yahtzee game which we played wrong (you're supposed to be limited
      to 3 rolls, we played it that you rolled until you crapped out). Again
      luck was on my side and I took the win. This despite the fact that
      after rushing upstairs to fetch my beautiful and fancy oak dice tower to
      roll my dice in I managed to roll five (out of six dice) '6's (crap) on
      my first try with the tower. The tower was quickly retired.
      I'm thinking that this one could drag as leader bashing in the end
      game took over. Although in our game we all got to the point that
      victory was within reach on our turn.

      A small crew but a good one! With family life bearing down GSG is
      becoming my sole gaming outlet. Thankfully I've got a fine crew of
      gamers that manage to come over each week. I think after the holidays
      Nick will be old enough that I can find a babysitter for him and make it
      to SSG on a more regular basis. This gaming once a week thing is
      killing me! ;-)

      On that note, anyone available for some gaming tomorrow night? Let
      me know.

      Mark

      If you're interested in board games and are located in the Eastern Mass
      area, check out Unity Games!

      "Hey dad? ... wanna have a catch?"