Games 100 for 2002 Released

  • watchfulfog@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2001
      I'm not sure how interested this group would be in this, but the
      Games 100 is now out (I found it on the newsstand of the newsstand in
      Harvard, the one next to the coop.)

      Evo is Game of the Year. Winners/Runner-ups in various categories are:

      Morisi/Proteus (Abstract)
      Java/Die Magier Von Pangaea (Advanced Strategy)
      Babel/Who Stole Ed's Pants? (Family Cards)
      Africa/Face-It (Family Games)
      Lord of the Rings/San Marco (Family Strategy)
      Drive on Paris/Risorgimento 1859 (Historical Simulations)
      Space Game/Hamster Rolle (Manual Dexterity)
      Hilarium/(None) (Party)
      Flip-It!/Indochine-2000 (Puzzles)
      My Word/Respond (Word Games)
    • Walter H. Hunt
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2001
        watchfulfog@... wrote:

        > I'm not sure how interested this group would be in this, but the
        > Games 100 is now out (I found it on the newsstand of the newsstand in
        > Harvard, the one next to the coop.)
        >
        > Evo is Game of the Year.

        Evo is really unimpressive, frankly. It's not Ursuppe, it's not Quirks. I've
        played it a few times and didn't buy it.

        > Java/Die Magier Von Pangaea (Advanced Strategy)

        I like Java, but not enough to give it an award. Same with Pangea - though
        it has a singular problem: better play it all with novices or all with
        veterans, because one play is enough to toast players who haven't seen it
        before. By the time you get the hang of it, you can't win.

        > Babel/Who Stole Ed's Pants? (Family Cards)

        Babel doesn't strike me as a family card game. Anything Andy Latto has a
        black belt at can't be a family game :-)

        > Lord of the Rings/San Marco (Family Strategy)

        Good choices. Though San Marco doesn't strike me as a family strategy game
        either.

        Walter.
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 2001
          Walter wrote:

          > Evo is really unimpressive, frankly. It's not Ursuppe,
          > it's not Quirks. I've played it a few times and didn't buy it.

          I'm on the other side of the fence with Evo - liking it so long as it is
          played with the one less gene rule (so it creates some bidding tension).
          But, admittedly, this one is not very popular these days and doesn't see
          much play-time.

          dber@...