Atlantis: Pathways of the Deep

  • brian tivol
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 30, 2001
      I bought this game yesterday for $1.99 at K-B Toys, and I brought it
      to SNOB. Turns out Matthew Gray did the same, but I made people play
      my copy.

      On your turn, you can play two tiles from your four-tile hand, laying
      track from the corners of the 9-by-9 board to its center. (Some tiles
      have magic words instead of pictures of track, and these help
      unbalance the game.) In case you find your own path fenced in or your
      opponent's path too promising, you have the option of rotating a tile
      instead of laying two new ones. After modifying the tiles, you then
      move your own pawn two spaces or move an opponents' pawn one space.
      First pawn to the center wins.

      Matthew and I played two two-player games. We felt that the game
      didn't work for two in a few ways. One thing that was missing was the
      utility of screwing over an opponent-- it's easy to undo one screwing,
      so we felt that maybe having two people ganging up on one would give
      those rules some bite. Another thing that was missing was that the
      paths never really met each other, making the tile-laying part a
      little dry.

      The game seemed slanted in favor of the player who drew a "Move 3
      Spaces" magic tile. However, since I won both two-player games, it's
      clear that my first impression was wrong and that the game is heavily
      skill-based.

      Anyway, we roped Luke into playing a three-person game to see if
      things were any better. They were, but not so good that we played it
      more than once.

      The game had an end condition that reminded me of Wiz-War's: "Can I
      save my game-breaking power for my own surprise win, or must I waste
      it here to keep my opponent from winning?" In Wiz-War, the goal takes
      enough time to accomplish that real leaders emerge as target to stomp.
      In Pathways, everyone is too close. I keep thinking the race should
      be longer, but I'm not sure how many checkpoints there should be.

      The components are solid cardboard for $1.99, and I'm sure that I can
      do something with eighty tiles of paths.

      --brian
    • Alfred Dziewit
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 31, 2001
        Brian
        If you are so inclined to play again, I would like to do so.
        I am looking for games with a simple rule base but potential for
        complex strategies to play with my family, especially my six-year old.
        If the game does not suit you, I might be interested in "taking it off
        you hands."

        Al
        p.s. thanks for recovering the oasis chip - really appreciate it.

        --- In Unity_Games@y..., brian tivol <tivol@m...> wrote:

        > I bought this game yesterday for $1.99 at K-B Toys, and I brought it
        > to SNOB. Turns out Matthew Gray did the same, but I made people
        > play my copy.
        >
        > The components are solid cardboard for $1.99, and I'm sure that I
        > can do something with eighty tiles of paths.
        >
        > --brian
      • Brian
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 31, 2001
          Al,

          Wrong Brian that time. :> I've got your oasis chip.

          Brian F

          P.S.> And no, I can't save you money on Auto
          insurance, either. ;>

          http://personals.yahoo.com